Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Lloyds Interim Management Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Lloyds Interim Management Statement

Postby idpickering » October 31st, 2019, 7:06 am

Strong strategic progress and the right strategy in the current environment

· Strategic investment of £1.7 billion since launch of GSR3 in February 2018

· Schroders Personal Wealth launched with ambition of becoming top 3 financial planning business by end of 2023

· Acquisition of Tesco Bank's £3.7 billion UK prime residential mortgage portfolio

Solid financial performance with statutory result impacted by additional PPI charge

· Statutory profit before tax of £2.9 billion including an additional £1.8 billion PPI charge in the third quarter

· Underlying profit of £6.0 billion in a challenging external environment, with lower net income partly offset by lower total costs and higher impairment charges

− Net income of £13.0 billion, down 3 per cent, with slightly lower average interest-earning banking assets of £434 billion, net interest margin of 2.89 per cent and other income of £4.4 billion, down 4 per cent

− Total costs of £6.0 billion down 5 per cent driven by reductions in both operating costs and remediation charges. Market-leading cost:income ratio further reduced to 46.5 per cent with positive jaws of 2 per cent

− Credit quality remains strong. Net asset quality ratio of 29 basis points, including a single large corporate charge in the third quarter

· Tangible net assets per share of 52.0 pence. Statutory return on tangible equity reduced to 6.8 per cent significantly driven by the PPI charge with underlying return on tangible equity remaining strong at 15.7 per cent

Balance sheet strength maintained with lower Pillar 2A requirement

· Loans and advances up £6 billion in the quarter, with continued growth in targeted segments including the open mortgage book, benefiting from both the Tesco mortgage acquisition and organic growth, SME and Motor Finance

· CET1 capital build of 149 basis points in the first nine months before PPI charge and 28 basis points after the charge; CET1 ratio of 13.5 per cent

· Pillar 2A CET1 requirement reduced from 2.7 per cent to 2.6 per cent. Target CET1 ratio remains c.12.5 per cent, plus a c.1 per cent management buffer. Given the Pillar 2A reduction, the headroom above the regulatory requirements has increased

Outlook

· The resilience of the Group's business model is reflected in its 2019 guidance:

− Net interest margin of 2.88 per cent, in line with previous guidance of c.2.90 per cent

− Operating costs now expected to be less than £7.9 billion, ahead of previous guidance, and cost:income ratio to be lower than in 2018

− Net asset quality ratio of less than 30 basis points

− Free capital build of c.75 basis points, post the PPI charge of 121 basis points

· Although continued economic uncertainty could further impact the outlook, the Group remains well positioned with the right strategy to continue delivering for customers and shareholders

https://www.investegate.co.uk/lloyds-ba ... 00057077R/

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Lloyds Interim Management Statement

Postby monabri » October 31st, 2019, 8:22 am

"Statutory profit before tax of £2.9 billion including an additional £1.8 billion PPI charge in the third quarter"

Ridiculous level of PPI charges.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » October 31st, 2019, 7:51 pm

Yes, speaking as someone who never had PPI or doesn't care if he did, the whole thing has turned into a rip-the-banks-off saga.

V8

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 31st, 2019, 8:58 pm

88V8 wrote:Yes, speaking as someone who never had PPI or doesn't care if he did, the whole thing has turned into a rip-the-banks-off saga.

V8

Yes, I was always convinced this was one giant con-trick played on the banks. I've no idea how these fantasy figures were arrived at, but I'm sure they were incredibly inflated. The banks were pulled apart by sharks, ne'er do wells and gold diggers and it we shareholders were robbed because of it.

All rather reminiscent of the way BP was nearly torn apart by a similar group of chancers.

Arb

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 31st, 2019, 9:40 pm

"Lloyds has now had to pay out almost £22bn in compensation for payment protection insurance (PPI)."

https://www.businessleader.co.uk/lloyds ... ims/75109/

Market Cap £40 billion

Seriously?

António Horta-Osório .. not a clue!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 31st, 2019, 11:08 pm

I have never received a penny from PPI but then I have never ever made any claim. Sadly the whole thing is simply a reflection of our society. Like the number of false claims against insurers, the general population seems to think that banks, insurers and the Government have a bottomless pit of money to be tapped and if they do tap it, well it is not doing anyone any harm.

Difficult to argue against and it seems to be doing Mr Corbyn's job for him. Redistributing assets that is. If one is a Marxist of course one would argue that neither the banks, insurers nor the Government deserved the money in the first place.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 1st, 2019, 8:54 am

monabri wrote:"Lloyds has now had to pay out almost £22bn in compensation for payment protection insurance (PPI)."

Market Cap £40 billion

Seriously?

Did he have any choice in the matter?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 1st, 2019, 10:19 am

Arborbridge wrote:
monabri wrote:"Lloyds has now had to pay out almost £22bn in compensation for payment protection insurance (PPI)."

Market Cap £40 billion

Seriously?

Did he have any choice in the matter?

8 years ago..from The Guardian..link below.

""The dramatic capitulation by the new Lloyds chief executive António Horta-Osório caught his rivals – who have been fighting the Financial Services Authority in the courts – on the hop and left the bailed-out bank reporting a pre-tax loss of £3.4bn for the first quarter of 2011."

"Horta-Osório, who on his arrival at Lloyds demanded a thorough assessment of the PPI bill, conceded that the £3.2bn provision "feels a significantly bigger number than I would have expected"."

Thorough Assessment....how does a thorough assessment of £3.2bn become £20bn?

Links

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... tion-costs

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... l-unfolded

Hadn't a clue...I rest my case.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 1st, 2019, 11:11 am

monabri wrote:
Thorough Assessment....how does a thorough assessment of £3.2bn become £20bn?

Links

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... tion-costs

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... l-unfolded

Hadn't a clue...I rest my case.

I've no idea of the answer, except that how could anyone predict the number of chancers who wood crawl out from under their stones? - anymore than BP could predict the cheats and liars that would line up to fleece it? There seems to have been no protection possible for the bank or BP.

Same thing happen with people who take on loans and then get them written off: chancers and ne'er do wells with misguided regulators' backing.

All one can say is that Lloyds more or less survived and the dividend appears to be coming back satisfactorily. My fear is that it has survived only until the next crisis in banking, which may not be long in coming.

As usual my buys in gold, rolling divs in blue. You can see I made many "non-HYP" speculative buys well before the dividend was re-established - each was quite a small addition. My breakeven is 80p, even so.
It's been a long wait, but will Trump-China (continuing low interest rates), Brexit, high debt levels and challenger banks with new software trash it again?

Arb.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Postby johnhemming » November 1st, 2019, 11:26 am

Having done reasonably well out of banking preference shares (as with many on the old TMF banking board) I moved into banking equity (inc LLOY) expecting a recovery and then we had the referendum which has held the whole market back and shares like LLOY even more so.

I am still holding LLOY and I think the underlying value is still easily 80p unless we have a chaotic leave. Hence for UK banking you have PPI, Brexit and otherwise negative sentiment. PPI has now stopped.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”