Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

RBS & Signature Litigation?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Julian
Lemon Quarter

RBS & Signature Litigation?

Postby Julian » November 4th, 2019, 12:28 pm

I think RBS was a share that many of us held in our HYP prior to and during the ABN Amro takeover and perhaps quite a few never-tinker HYP-ers still hold it now. This is why I am posting my question here since I do believe this is potentially a very practical consideration for many HYPers who once or still do hold RBS in their HYP even though it might not be considered a candidate for a new purchase now.

I did sell out of RBS a while ago but I am still being bombarded by letters from a company called "Signature Litigation" (henceforth "SL") saying that it is pursuing a class action suit against RBS and is trying to verify me as a retail client who might be eligible for part of the settlement. I'm now even getting letters from one of my brokers saying they have been contacted by SL and are passing on a request on behalf of SL for me to contact them. My natural suspicion re unsolicited communications plus the fact that I can't find decent records of my RBS transactions, can't remember whether I even took up the final rights offer which I believe is the basis of the SL case, and a suspicion that even if the whole thing is genuine I would only be looking at a trivial payment has meant that I have never responded to any of these letters. I thought I should check here though before continuing my strategy of resolutely ignoring all these letters.

Are any other current or ex RBS owners getting bombarded with letters from SL? If yes then have any of you taken it further and responded to SL? Does anyone who has taken it further have any idea what sort of compensation is being talked about in terms of pence per share?

Given the popularity of RBS at one point and the number of letters I have had from SL I am slightly surprised to find that a search for "Signature Litigation" on this site yielded no hits whatsoever. That only deepens my suspicions.

- Julian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RBS & Signature Litigation?

Postby PinkDalek » November 4th, 2019, 1:11 pm

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » November 4th, 2019, 1:12 pm

I'm not, I was (and still am a holder of RBS) and I was and still am on the share register so should be easy to find.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm

I did respond a long time ago and got a large cheque last year. The litigation is being funded by a v large holder, Trevor hemmings as I recall.
If you can verify that you subscribed to the RBS rights issue you should get an interim payment of 80p a share with more to come next year.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 4th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Sorry 30p a share. The total compensation agreed with RBS is about 80p but litigation with other parties is continuing.
As far as I can see signature are bona fide good guys

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 4th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Pls the only documentation I supplied was a brokers transaction statement showing the rights subscription. That was enough for them.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » November 4th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Julian wrote:I think RBS was a share that many of us held in our HYP prior to and during the ABN Amro takeover and perhaps quite a few never-tinker HYP-ers still hold it now. This is why I am posting my question here since I do believe this is potentially a very practical consideration for many HYPers who once or still do hold RBS in their HYP even though it might not be considered a candidate for a new purchase now.

I did sell out of RBS a while ago but I am still being bombarded by letters from a company called "Signature Litigation" (henceforth "SL") saying that it is pursuing a class action suit against RBS and is trying to verify me as a retail client who might be eligible for part of the settlement. I'm now even getting letters from one of my brokers saying they have been contacted by SL and are passing on a request on behalf of SL for me to contact them. My natural suspicion re unsolicited communications plus the fact that I can't find decent records of my RBS transactions, can't remember whether I even took up the final rights offer which I believe is the basis of the SL case, and a suspicion that even if the whole thing is genuine I would only be looking at a trivial payment has meant that I have never responded to any of these letters. I thought I should check here though before continuing my strategy of resolutely ignoring all these letters.

Are any other current or ex RBS owners getting bombarded with letters from SL? If yes then have any of you taken it further and responded to SL? Does anyone who has taken it further have any idea what sort of compensation is being talked about in terms of pence per share?

Given the popularity of RBS at one point and the number of letters I have had from SL I am slightly surprised to find that a search for "Signature Litigation" on this site yielded no hits whatsoever. That only deepens my suspicions.

- Julian

Hi,
I am still a holder but at the time of 'the event' I did nothing. Mainly because I knew nothing and was very wary of vultures, having been a victim of other ignorances.(Eq Life and The Pru).
Prompted by your post, I have just spoken with SL and was told that I am out of time so unable to join a class action.
Maybe you have joined such action and thus qualify --the very best of luck

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”