Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Haoma,Gilgongo,Raasu,Wasron,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

SSE Interims

Practical discussions about equity High-Yield Portfolios (HYP) for income
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1582 times

SSE Interims

#263872

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2019, 7:48 am

Interim dividend in line with five-year dividend plan to 2023:
• Interim dividend: 24 pence, down 18% reflecting dividend policy outlined in May 2018
• Intention to recommend full-year dividend of 80 pence, with annual RPI growth in the three subsequent years


https://sse.com/investors/reportsandres ... tfinal.pdf

daveh
Lemon Slice
Posts: 633
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:06 am
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263883

Postby daveh » November 13th, 2019, 8:25 am

Investor Timetable
Interim ex-dividend date 16 January 2020
Record date 17 January 2020
Scrip reference pricing days 16 – 22 January 2020
Scrip reference price confirmed and released via RNS 23 January 2020
Final date for receipt of scrip elections 13 February 2020
Interim dividend payment date 13 March 2020
Q3 Trading Statement 31 January 2020
Notification of Closed Period By 31 March 2020
Preliminary Results for the year ended 31 March 2020 20 May 2020
AGM (Perth) and Q1 Trading Statement 16 July 2020

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1190
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263920

Postby kempiejon » November 13th, 2019, 10:59 am

I hold SSE and this reduction in dividend is an annoyance but a promise "to recommend full-year dividend of 80 pence, with annual RPI growth in the three subsequent years" gives 6% yield and growing so that's better than a lot on offer.

IanTHughes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 941
Joined: May 2nd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 422 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263930

Postby IanTHughes » November 13th, 2019, 11:20 am

kempiejon wrote:I hold SSE and this reduction in dividend is an annoyance but a promise "to recommend full-year dividend of 80 pence, with annual RPI growth in the three subsequent years" gives 6% yield and growing so that's better than a lot on offer.

I had this reduced dividend amount already noted in my records, together with the intended annual total of 80.00p. I only amend such records from the previous year value when indicated by the company in question, so this information must have been advised before, although I cannot remember when exactly.


Ian

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1190
Joined: November 5th, 2016, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 249 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263931

Postby kempiejon » November 13th, 2019, 11:26 am

IanTHughes wrote:
kempiejon wrote:I hold SSE and this reduction in dividend is an annoyance but a promise "to recommend full-year dividend of 80 pence, with annual RPI growth in the three subsequent years" gives 6% yield and growing so that's better than a lot on offer.

I had this reduced dividend amount already noted in my records, together with the intended annual total of 80.00p. I only amend such records from the previous year value when indicated by the company in question, so this information must have been advised before, although I cannot remember when exactly.

Ian


You're right this cut has been known for a while, did it come out of the talk of merging retail with Npower, and wasn't that a year ago? I like companies that commit to a certain level of dividend increases, the utes have been quite good at that.

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3860
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1334 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263933

Postby tjh290633 » November 13th, 2019, 11:38 am

Odd that this RNS did not make it to Investegate, but was picked up by ADVFN, see https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/londo ... t/81130485

You do need to have your wits about you. Also DigitalLook were a bit late in picking up both VOD's interim date and BLND's Q2 report.

TJH

moorfield
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 1600
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 1:56 pm
Has thanked: 350 times
Been thanked: 385 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263936

Postby moorfield » November 13th, 2019, 11:54 am

Not too worried. SSE will continue to contribute my steadily growing overall portfolio income. In fact, I think it will become a top up candidate once again come Friday 13 December. We’ll see.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1582 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263940

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2019, 12:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Odd that this RNS did not make it to Investegate, but was picked up by ADVFN, see https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/londo ... t/81130485

You do need to have your wits about you. Also DigitalLook were a bit late in picking up both VOD's interim date and BLND's Q2 report.

TJH


I had noticed the RNS absence on Investegate, which is why I went straight to SSE themselves. I realised some HYPers hold them, making the results a must see here.

Ian.

daveh
Lemon Slice
Posts: 633
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:06 am
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 194 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263950

Postby daveh » November 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm

idpickering wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:Odd that this RNS did not make it to Investegate, but was picked up by ADVFN, see https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/londo ... t/81130485

You do need to have your wits about you. Also DigitalLook were a bit late in picking up both VOD's interim date and BLND's Q2 report.

TJH


I had noticed the RNS absence on Investegate, which is why I went straight to SSE themselves. I realised some HYPers hold them, making the results a must see here.

Ian.



I've not been getting any Investegate alerts since October (my last was an AZN announcement on 21/10) so I either have to rememebr to logon to Investegate every morning and look at the announcements filtered by My Alerts or rely on Ian posting them on here - I mostly relying on Ian so thankyou Ian :)

I have an idea whats expected each week from emails I get from II but I still have to remember to go and look. I'd have missed BLND today if it wasn't posted here.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3679
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1160 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263976

Postby Arborbridge » November 13th, 2019, 1:39 pm

moorfield wrote:Not too worried. SSE will continue to contribute my steadily growing overall portfolio income. In fact, I think it will become a top up candidate once again come Friday 13 December. We’ll see.


I admire company prudence, but I thought we should not be rewarding a cutter?

Luckily, I don't need to make that choice at the moment.


Arb

PS on a topical subject, I have a note that the SSE cash flow is pretty dire. No doubt someone can explain it away :?

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1582 times

Re: SSE Interims

#263988

Postby idpickering » November 13th, 2019, 2:15 pm

daveh wrote:

I've not been getting any Investegate alerts since October (my last was an AZN announcement on 21/10) so I either have to rememebr to logon to Investegate every morning and look at the announcements filtered by My Alerts or rely on Ian posting them on here - I mostly relying on Ian so thankyou Ian :)

I have an idea whats expected each week from emails I get from II but I still have to remember to go and look. I'd have missed BLND today if it wasn't posted here.


Thank you very much for your kind comment. You're welcome.

With regards to company announcements, I don't use an Investegate alert, but keep an eye on the FTSE diary via this link; https://www.lse.co.uk/share-prices/fina ... 4-Nov-2019

Even they get it wrong sometimes too though.

Back to SSE, I sold out of these some time ago mainly due to the Corbyn risk, but I've also found them to not be a very reliable stock overall. Not the 'help you sleep at night' share that I try to buy. There's never any guarantees in investing full stop though of course. I'm not inclined to buy back into SSE to be honest, but one can never say never I guess?

Ian.

funduffer
Lemon Slice
Posts: 383
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264030

Postby funduffer » November 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Dividend cut. Oh dear.

Hang on, don’t we get a return of capital from the sale of the retail business to OVO?

If so, when?

FD

PinkDalek
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4585
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:12 pm
Has thanked: 1076 times
Been thanked: 1230 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264037

Postby PinkDalek » November 13th, 2019, 7:11 pm

funduffer wrote:Hang on, don’t we get a return of capital from the sale of the retail business to OVO?


The latest I saw was over here*** viewtopic.php?p=252551#p252551 and the net proceeds were to be used to make a small dent in the net debt.

The interims include Important note: SSE Energy Services ... The transaction has received FCA approval, awaits CMA approval and is expected to complete early 2020.. That's only the first hit I bothered to find.

*** Company Share news (LSE Main Market) which can be a useful port of call, as against individual single topic discussions here.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3101
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 1:17 am
Been thanked: 1606 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264086

Postby Gengulphus » November 14th, 2019, 12:07 am

tjh290633 wrote:Odd that this RNS did not make it to Investegate, but was picked up by ADVFN, see https://uk.advfn.com/stock-market/londo ... t/81130485

It has made it on to Investegate - see https://www.investegate.co.uk/sse-plc-- ... 00081889T/. I don't know when it made it, though, since I was otherwise engaged for most of yesterday, so I can see at least two possible reasons why you and others didn't see it - it could have been late getting on to Investegate, or people could have been relying on Investegate's alert facility to bring it to their attention and that facility failed for some reason.

The point of saying that is that if anyone is relying on Investegate's alert facility and still hasn't received an alert about it, whatever has gone wrong is to do with the alert facility and not with the RNS appearing on Investegate - which does affect the practical matter of how they might try getting the problem corrected.

Gengulphus

tjh290633
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3860
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:20 am
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1334 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264167

Postby tjh290633 » November 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

Gengulphus wrote:It has made it on to Investegate - see https://www.investegate.co.uk/sse-plc-- ... 00081889T/. I don't know when it made it, though, since I was otherwise engaged for most of yesterday, so I can see at least two possible reasons why you and others didn't see it - it could have been late getting on to Investegate, or people could have been relying on Investegate's alert facility to bring it to their attention and that facility failed for some reason.

I looked for it about 10am, and I see that they have it as issued at 07:00. I was expecting it, then saw messages here that it was a PDF file on their (SSE's) website. I see my earlier comment was made at 11:38, and I don't think it had got onto Investegate by then.

This has happened before, that Investegate have not picked up a report and ADVFN have. There is obviously a glitch in their procedures.

TJH

Wizard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3557
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 8:22 am
Been thanked: 440 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264694

Postby Wizard » November 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

idpickering wrote:
daveh wrote:

I've not been getting any Investegate alerts since October (my last was an AZN announcement on 21/10) so I either have to rememebr to logon to Investegate every morning and look at the announcements filtered by My Alerts or rely on Ian posting them on here - I mostly relying on Ian so thankyou Ian :)

I have an idea whats expected each week from emails I get from II but I still have to remember to go and look. I'd have missed BLND today if it wasn't posted here.


Thank you very much for your kind comment. You're welcome.

With regards to company announcements, I don't use an Investegate alert, but keep an eye on the FTSE diary via this link; https://www.lse.co.uk/share-prices/fina ... 4-Nov-2019

Even they get it wrong sometimes too though.

Back to SSE, I sold out of these some time ago mainly due to the Corbyn risk, but I've also found them to not be a very reliable stock overall. Not the 'help you sleep at night' share that I try to buy. There's never any guarantees in investing full stop though of course. I'm not inclined to buy back into SSE to be honest, but one can never say never I guess?

Ian.

Out of interest Ian when did you sell, I missed that. Also, in what way do you consider them "not very liable"? Until the recent cut I thought they had been a pretty solid income producer.

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1582 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264712

Postby idpickering » November 16th, 2019, 11:52 am

Wizard wrote:Out of interest Ian when did you sell, I missed that. Also, in what way do you consider them "not very liable"? Until the recent cut I thought they had been a pretty solid income producer.


Hi Wizard. I sold on 22 May 19. The dividend cut put a huge shadow over them for me, thereby not reliable. Then there was the Corbyn risk too.

Ian.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3557
Joined: November 7th, 2016, 8:22 am
Been thanked: 440 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264723

Postby Wizard » November 16th, 2019, 12:24 pm

idpickering wrote:
Wizard wrote:Out of interest Ian when did you sell, I missed that. Also, in what way do you consider them "not very liable"? Until the recent cut I thought they had been a pretty solid income producer.


Hi Wizard. I sold on 22 May 19. The dividend cut put a huge shadow over them for me, thereby not reliable. Then there was the Corbyn risk too.

Ian.

Ah, I can see why you are not that fond of them, given the 22nd May this year was the lowest closing price over the last 10 years. But a rarity I am sure you can survive given you seem to have a consistent knack of getting out at a very sensible point.

Somewhat bizarrely as somebody who theoretically no longer buys in to much of HYP teaching, in practice I seem to abide by at least some of the guidelines pretty solidly having only voluntarily sold one share in my HYP in the three years it has been running. Maybe that is why my HYP has performed so dismally?!?

idpickering
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4790
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 5:04 pm
Has thanked: 697 times
Been thanked: 1582 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264744

Postby idpickering » November 16th, 2019, 2:01 pm

Wizard wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Wizard wrote:Out of interest Ian when did you sell, I missed that. Also, in what way do you consider them "not very liable"? Until the recent cut I thought they had been a pretty solid income producer.


Hi Wizard. I sold on 22 May 19. The dividend cut put a huge shadow over them for me, thereby not reliable. Then there was the Corbyn risk too.

Ian.

Ah, I can see why you are not that fond of them, given the 22nd May this year was the lowest closing price over the last 10 years. But a rarity I am sure you can survive given you seem to have a consistent knack of getting out at a very sensible point.

Somewhat bizarrely as somebody who theoretically no longer buys in to much of HYP teaching, in practice I seem to abide by at least some of the guidelines pretty solidly having only voluntarily sold one share in my HYP in the three years it has been running. Maybe that is why my HYP has performed so dismally?!?


You’re very kind thanks Wizard. I’m certainly no expert believe me. On an investing basis I’d rather drop my losers, and redeploy the money, and run my winners too. Probably the wrong thing to do dropping shares at the weak spot as that surely is the time to buy? With regards to SSE particularly, I’d lost faith in them full stop. However, I mainly try to be a good HYPer and keep my finger off the sell trigger, and let time and compounding work their magic.

Ian.

Arborbridge
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 3679
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:33 am
Has thanked: 722 times
Been thanked: 1160 times

Re: SSE Interims

#264747

Postby Arborbridge » November 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Wizard wrote:Ah, I can see why you are not that fond of them, given the 22nd May this year was the lowest closing price over the last 10 years. But a rarity I am sure you can survive given you seem to have a consistent knack of getting out at a very sensible point.

Somewhat bizarrely as somebody who theoretically no longer buys in to much of HYP teaching, in practice I seem to abide by at least some of the guidelines pretty solidly having only voluntarily sold one share in my HYP in the three years it has been running. Maybe that is why my HYP has performed so dismally?!?


having only voluntarily sold one share in my HYP in the three years it has been running.

Crumbs, that's almost Zen-like! Well done (I think) ;)

For the record, my total is six in three years.

Arb.


Return to “High Yield Portfolios (HYP) - Practical”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests