Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

ID Pickering HYP Feb 2020 top up.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: ID Pickering HYP Feb 2020 top up.

Postby idpickering » February 17th, 2020, 11:58 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Ian, I think if you intend to do that, try the HYPTUSS because it really does lay out he options in a regular way. Of course, one does not have to follow it slavishly, but I find it a good place to begin one's pickering.

And I'll just add: it is very easy to use, and even the setting up is pretty simple.

PS I'm moving house in a few days. So up to my eyes in boxes that I have little brain left over for thinking of a topup - but if I do, it may be SLA.
Arb.

Morning Arb, thanks for your input. I shall have a look at the HYPTUSS and see how I get on, or at least have a go. Not guaranteeing though, as I'm not the best with spreadsheets etc. My purchase of RDSB shares went through ok, buying at 1939p.

Regards, and good luck with the move,

Ian.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » February 17th, 2020, 1:32 pm

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Ian, I think if you intend to do that, try the HYPTUSS because it really does lay out he options in a regular way. Of course, one does not have to follow it slavishly, but I find it a good place to begin one's pickering.

And I'll just add: it is very easy to use, and even the setting up is pretty simple.

PS I'm moving house in a few days. So up to my eyes in boxes that I have little brain left over for thinking of a topup - but if I do, it may be SLA.
Arb.

Morning Arb, thanks for your input. I shall have a look at the HYPTUSS and see how I get on, or at least have a go. Not guaranteeing though, as I'm not the best with spreadsheets etc. My purchase of RDSB shares went through ok, buying at 1939p.

Regards, and good luck with the move,

Ian.

Ian,
I second the point that the HYPTUSS tool is very helpful in looking at top ups in a systematic way. It also helps you review your diversification by sector etc very easily.
IAAG & Kiloran have done a top class job there.
tuk020

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 17th, 2020, 2:12 pm

I'm looking at my next top up towards the end of the month, January and February are fairly lean for dividends and I'm hoarding cash ready for the new tax year for ISAs and SIPP. For the ISas accumulated dividends BATs is in the frame along with itv, ds smIth and perhaps RSA.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 17th, 2020, 3:01 pm

idpickering wrote: I shall have a look at the HYPTUSS and see how I get on, or at least have a go. Not guaranteeing though, as I'm not the best with spreadsheets etc.

Hi Ian.

As an exercise, I took the capital percentages from your first post and from the current share prices worked out a number of shares for each that would make a portfolio in the same proportions as you hold. I fed these figures into HYPTUSS. It suggested your top three top ups were:
1 - BT Group
2 - Imperial Brands
3 - Marston's

RDSB came in at no. 11. HYYPTUSS is based on the TJH ranking method and as such is a guide only, you have to take into account any unrealistic yield forecasts it may have used.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 17th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Breelander wrote:
idpickering wrote: I shall have a look at the HYPTUSS and see how I get on, or at least have a go. Not guaranteeing though, as I'm not the best with spreadsheets etc.

Hi Ian.

As an exercise, I took the capital percentages from your first post and from the current share prices worked out a number of shares for each that would make a portfolio in the same proportions as you hold. I fed these figures into HYPTUSS. It suggested your top three top ups were:
1 - BT Group
2 - Imperial Brands
3 - Marston's

RDSB came in at no. 11. HYYPTUSS is based on the TJH ranking method and as such is a guide only, you have to take into account any unrealistic yield forecasts it may have used.

You are a gem Breelander, thank you. Silly I know, but I get nervous playing with computer issues/systems I'm not sure about. Of those three you mention, I topped up BT.A last November. Despite that top up, I'm still down 22% in capital value terms. I was thinking of hanging on until their finals rather than throwing more good money at them. IMB, I'm 30% down with them with regards to capital value, ignoring dividends. I have reached my maximum spend on them (or any share) so am reluctant to invest more. Having said that I mentioned doubling up on RDSB in the past because they were on offer. Marston's, I've only ever made 4 buys of them, and no sales. They're very much a minnow in market cap. Hmm, maybe? I've got a month to Pickering over my next top up, so we'll see. Thanks,

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 17th, 2020, 5:59 pm

idpickering wrote:
You are a gem Breelander, thank you. Silly I know, but I get nervous playing with computer issues/systems I'm not sure about. Of those three you mention, I topped up BT.A last November. Despite that top up, I'm still down 22% in capital value terms. I was thinking of hanging on until their finals rather than throwing more good money at them. IMB, I'm 30% down with them with regards to capital value, ignoring dividends. I have reached my maximum spend on them (or any share) so am reluctant to invest more. Having said that I mentioned doubling up on RDSB in the past because they were on offer. Marston's, I've only ever made 4 buys of them, and no sales. They're very much a minnow in market cap. Hmm, maybe? I've got a month to Pickering over my next top up, so we'll see. Thanks,

Ian.

Your discussion shows the way the spreadsheet works. It organises the choices, but one is free to rule out whichever shares come top for good reasons of one's own.
In my case, I've added extra columns to show percentage invested so you don't exceed your self-imposed maximum spend. There's a nice little formatting trick where one can have the shares breaching one's limits flagged up in colours of your choice - red, orange or whatever.

Arb.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”