Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

What are you buying today?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: What are you buying today?

Postby kempiejon » May 30th, 2020, 1:01 pm

As well as being torn down for redevelopment round here pubs have been turned into MacDonald's drive thrus, Co-op stores an office licence and Indian restaurant.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 30th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Wizard wrote:This thread appears to be running seriously off topic.

=====================

i bought imperial brands and shellB.

:)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 30th, 2020, 1:24 pm

jackdaww wrote:

=====================

Ouch,
Imperial Brands Annual dividend to be cut from to 206.57p to 137.71p
Shell Quarterly dividend cut from $0.47 to $0.16

I bought 3IN last week and Legal and General last month.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

How do you work that out? I should have thought that the pros and cons of buying any shares or even ITs were relevant to the thread title. If you interpret yield purely in terms of high current or imminent dividends, in the present hopefully temporary but very different circumstances choices will be somewhat limited and a stab in lhe dark. In these very interesting times, however, a less blinkered approach might produce a higher yield in terms of returns on investment, and serious consideration of and debate about recovery prospects, which will of course depend on the consequences of the relaxation measures about to start, may lead to a better result than buying companies offering a high historic yield simply because the s.p. has fallen so much which are quite likely to go bust if covid is not supressed in the near future and there is no guarantee that it will be..

Perhaps the thread should be removed to a less restrictive board.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 30th, 2020, 2:02 pm

kempiejon wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

=====================

Ouch,

Careful! Such a mention got one of my posts deleted this morning.

Dod
Moderator Message:
Dod, if you're referring to 3IN, then 3IN is perfectly acceptable. See the guidance. -- MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 30th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

It might’ve helped if the title of this thread was ‘What HYP share are you buying today?’ That’d be more in keeping with the this topic of this board.

Ian.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 30th, 2020, 2:29 pm

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » May 30th, 2020, 2:45 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

How do you work that out? I should have thought that the pros and cons of buying any shares or even ITs were relevant to the thread title. If you interpret yield purely in terms of high current or imminent dividends, in the present hopefully temporary but very different circumstances choices will be somewhat limited and a stab in lhe dark. In these very interesting times, however, a less blinkered approach might produce a higher yield in terms of returns on investment, and serious consideration of and debate about recovery prospects, which will of course depend on the consequences of the relaxation measures about to start, may lead to a better result than buying companies offering a high historic yield simply because the s.p. has fallen so much which are quite likely to go bust if covid is not supressed in the near future and there is no guarantee that it will be..

====================

i am trying to get a TR investing board running ...

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 30th, 2020, 2:54 pm

idpickering wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:

It might’ve helped if the title of this thread was ‘What HYP share are you buying today?’ That’d be more in keeping with the this topic of this board.

Ian.

Good point, but I think the HYP bit should be unecessary as this is the HYP board.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 30th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:
kempiejon wrote:
jackdaww wrote:
=====================

Ouch,

Dod

I don't understand what is deletable in the above.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 30th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Bouleversee wrote:

My point was that the title is what are you buying today? Not what are you thinkjng of buying? Or do you think tjis is a good share? I thought the idea of the thread was to tell others what people bought whkle prices were lower. But maybe I got it wrong.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » May 30th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
kempiejon wrote:Ouch,

Dod

I don't understand what is deletable in the above.

Absolutely nothing at all, 3IN was confirmed as on topic for HYP-P. Maybe Dod is just miffed at having a post deleted. He had one on this thread deleted where he question if my comment re buying IAG was off topic for HYP-P, not sure though if that is the one he was referring to.

Moderator Message:
Yes, 3IN is perfectly acceptable, as the guidance confirms. I have stated this on Dod's original post. -- MDW1954

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 30th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Wizard wrote:My point was that the title is what are you buying today? Not what are you thinkjng of buying? Or do you think tjis is a good share? I thought the idea of the thread was to tell others what people bought whkle prices were lower. But maybe I got it wrong.

In my view, your interpretation is accurate, but maybe unnecessarily restrictive. It's a conversation and they tend to ebb and flow.
The step from "what are you buying today" to "what are you thinking of buying shortly" is probably small enough to be encompassed in one conversation.

If you took the question exactly and pedantically, there would be no posts on this thread at the weekend at all ;)

Arb.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 30th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Moderator Message:
Folks, let's try to bring the thread a little more back on-topic, please. There look to be plenty of potential bargains out there, so what are people thinking of buying? -- MDW1954

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » May 30th, 2020, 5:11 pm

This month I have been buying Royal Dutch Shell, and other stuff.

Reasoning:
- KSA Sovereign Wealth buying major stakes in Oil companies (BP, Total) is a buy signal for Oil
- Think that Shell is making more progress in moving to Low Carbon world (i.e. first stage is shift to gas), than BP. Hold both but more comfortable topping up BP for long term.

Spelt out more in
viewtopic.php?p=309545#p309545

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 30th, 2020, 5:17 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, my pick for my jun top up is SSE.

Ian.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » May 30th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:It might’ve helped if the title of this thread was ‘What HYP share are you buying today?’ That’d be more in keeping with the this topic of this board.

Good point, but I think the HYP bit should be unecessary as this is the HYP board.

I made the same suggestion as idp by way of a report this post earlier today. Reason being, despite the board title, recent topics at The Biscuit Bar have once again confirmed that some posters arrive here via New posts or similar and do say they don’t always notice what board they are on.

Others, of course, know full well.

What am I buying (soon)?

Probably the formerly high yielding British Land (knowing full well the views of some others on BLand).

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 31st, 2020, 7:31 am

Going back to 3IN. It is of course an investment trust. I bought it in early April , having sold half of my holding in Legal & General against the possibility of its dividend being cancelled or cut by its regulator. I have done well on a TR basis, at least as well as holding on to L & G (assuming they pay on 4 June), but that is I am sure off topic. However it is hardly a HYP share on yield grounds, just over 3.2% or so. It is though the sort of share that I like.

Incidentally according to the FT this weekend, the FTSE100 yield is 4.96%. That is I think fairly meaningless because it also shows high yields (in some cases very high yields) on the shares that have actually cut their dividend entirely.

And I am not miffed at having a post deleted. Just mystified but move on.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 31st, 2020, 9:32 am

Dod101 wrote:Going back to 3IN. It is of course an investment trust. I bought it in early April , having sold half of my holding in Legal & General against the possibility of its dividend being cancelled or cut by its regulator. I have done well on a TR basis, at least as well as holding on to L & G (assuming they pay on 4 June), but that is I am sure off topic. However it is hardly a HYP share on yield grounds, just over 3.2% or so. It is though the sort of share that I like.

Incidentally according to the FT this weekend, the FTSE100 yield is 4.96%. That is I think fairly meaningless because it also shows high yields (in some cases very high yields) on the shares that have actually cut their dividend entirely.

And I am not miffed at having a post deleted. Just mystified but move on.

Dod

Owing to the problem of where to place 3iN and also its lower yield, I took the safe option and put it into my IT basket. It sits much better there, in my view, and avoids any controversy. Like you, I have been impressed with it so far.

Agree about the FTSE yield: it's close to nonsense. I know some brave soul here tried to estimate a more useful idea of the FTSE yield, but I forget who.

Arb.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 31st, 2020, 9:37 am

Dod101 wrote:Incidentally according to the FT this weekend, the FTSE100 yield is 4.96%. That is I think fairly meaningless because it also shows high yields (in some cases very high yields) on the shares that have actually cut their dividend entirely.

And I am not miffed...

Miffed. If this the Jeeves & Wooster thread? :)

As regards the FTSE, that benchmark for HYP purchases is as you say, up the creek.
Moorfield has proposed a new benchmark of CTY (currently 5.6%) as this is a yield which one can actually buy and unlikely to be cut.
What do we think?

V8

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”