Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

What are you buying today?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

What are you buying today?

Postby PrincessB » March 9th, 2020, 2:15 pm

I'm in the fortunate position of having enough cash for four investment sized buys. Cash was moved a week or two ago from another account into ISA - It's sitting there wanting to be invested.

On the odd occasion when the market goes nuts, my mindset is to aim for the kind of companies that don't usually have a 5% dividend on the grounds that if they recover strongly, I can reposition the money into something more mainstream.

So what are you buying today?

B.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: What are you buying today?

Postby jackdaww » March 9th, 2020, 2:17 pm

added to rdsb - hoping the SP will rise and dividends keep flowing .

8-)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 9th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Perhaps you should wait a month, if it all get worse as more of Europe and the US are quarantined you can even get more of those companies and you'll have a month of dividends to add.
I agree that a market rout will allow usually mid/low yielding picks to appear attractive but HYP should just be looking for those with highest sustainable yields.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » March 9th, 2020, 2:30 pm

HYP should just be looking for those with highest sustainable yields.

Good point kempiejon.

I've got most of the usual HYP mix already, hence the question. Further diversification during times of panic can add sectors which were not viable a few weeks ago.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 9th, 2020, 2:31 pm

If I had some spare dosh I'd be buying more RDSB today. Sadly I don't have the readies currently, a lesson I intend to learn from, ie keep some spare cash on hand for moments like this.

Ian.

FarmerTom

Postby FarmerTom » March 9th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Having sold out quite a bit on the 20th (luck, not judgement) I had the cash to buy more RDSB today.
...after fighting with the HL website for a whole hour grrr.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 9th, 2020, 2:49 pm

PrincessB wrote:
HYP should just be looking for those with highest sustainable yields.

Good point kempiejon.

I've got most of the usual HYP mix already, hence the question. Further diversification during times of panic can add sectors which were not viable a few weeks ago.

That is true and I did squeeze Diego, Reckitt Benckiser, Unliever and something else into my HYP when they were depressed enough to have good enough yields. I think for each of those though it a company specific panic rather than this global effect we have here. Last time there was global sale saw me overweighting Lloyds and RBS, grabbing Aviva when it looked a bargain and a few other miscreants.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 9th, 2020, 2:57 pm

I'm set to buy RIO and HFEL tommorow, that being A J Bells regular investment day (cheap commissions).

My thinking is that for many companies Corvid19 will be a temporary (1 quarter) blip.

I like RDSB, but the shinanigins with the price of oil are IMHO too political to call.

To be honest there are loads of great deals out there at the moment. I can't understand why the likes of IBT, AZK or CSH have had their share prices as badly hit as they have been. Are there going to be significantly less people in the world who need drugs/medical treatments or social housing? What of HILS? for goodness sake, motorway barriers!

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 9th, 2020, 3:07 pm

idpickering wrote:If I had some spare dosh I'd be buying more RDSB today...

I suspect if you did, then you'd be regretting that tomorrow. Today's fall fall may only be the first step in an ongoing oil price dispute...
... Saudi Arabia pledged to step up oil production from next month after Russia refused to join the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries’ plan to cut supplies.
https://www.sharecast.com/news/market-r ... 74828.html

If I were looking to top up (which I'm not) then I would be looking at the likes of Diageo and Unilever, the type of reliable dividend payer that rarely enters HYP territory. But those two have only fallen today by about half the FTSE100's 7% fall. The 'oilies' on the other hand have fallen twice as fast as the FTSE100, indicating the greater fear the market has for their future profits.

It's a dilemma that thankfully this 'Doris' can strategically ignore...

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » March 9th, 2020, 3:43 pm

My experience tells me to wait for a long time before investing the cash I have kept for the next downturn. I'm not sure that investors have digested all the implications of this situation yet. And the US market might fall a lot more if the virus situation develops. I read somewhere that 30 million US citizens don't have health cover and aren't eligible for testing. This might cause a few more problems for world markets.

regards

Howard

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » March 9th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Breelander wrote:
idpickering wrote:If I had some spare dosh I'd be buying more RDSB today...

I suspect if you did, then you'd be regretting that tomorrow. Today's fall fall may only be the first step in an ongoing oil price dispute...
... Saudi Arabia pledged to step up oil production from next month after Russia refused to join the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries’ plan to cut supplies.
https://www.sharecast.com/news/market-r ... 74828.html

If I were looking to top up (which I'm not) then I would be looking at the likes of Diageo and Unilever, the type of reliable dividend payer that rarely enters HYP territory. But those two have only fallen today by about half the FTSE100's 7% fall. The 'oilies' on the other hand have fallen twice as fast as the FTSE100, indicating the greater fear the market has for their future profits.

It's a dilemma that thankfully this 'Doris' can strategically ignore...

Thanks for that Breelander. In a way I'm quite relieved that I don't have to Pickering over what to buy today. :D

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 9th, 2020, 5:18 pm

WEIR, no idea of its yield but I imagine it's at least at a level that would have qualified as HYP a few weeks ago, possibly also today.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 9th, 2020, 5:27 pm

I topped up some RDSB and BP with long term view that the oil sellers will come to the conclusion that selling oil at $20/30 per barrel isn't good for Saudi nor Russia. Eventually, covid 19 vaccine will become available and production will be ramped up.

If I had some more free funds I'd top up LGEN (at 8% currently) ..and BHP, RIO ( long term)..

Too many things "of interest ".

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » March 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm

monabri wrote:I topped up some RDSB and BP with long term view that the oil sellers will come to the conclusion that selling oil at $20/30 per barrel isn't good for Saudi nor Russia. Eventually, covid 19 vaccine will become available and production will be ramped up.

If I had some more free funds I'd top up LGEN (at 8% currently) ..and BHP, RIO ( long term)..

Too many things "of interest ".

Oil companies still falling, as is almost everything else of course. BP off 7.6% and RDSB off 5.0% as I write. I suspect there is still more turbulence ahead. Still not comfortable buying. When I do I am not sure I will be trying to pick individual shares, that could be a big challenge that is beyond me.

minerjoe
2 Lemon pips

Postby minerjoe » March 12th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Hi all,

Today I pushed the button on Shell; 11% yield, 1.2 cover (we shall see how they do with the oil price), Legal and General; 8% and 1.8 cover and Lloyds; 8% and 1.9 cover.

I am comfortable with the falling market, even medium term I have little issues as I am holding for 30 years. The prices just seemed very good, why not add to my holding. Even with the market in its current state my holdings are down 24% in unitised terms, so actually slightly better than the FTSE 100 index.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 12th, 2020, 12:16 pm

I've settled into a routine of buying once a month on cheap dealing day. Have just topped up WPP and in line next month looks like TUI. I don't feel nervous about that as I may well bag a rock bottom price. Oils are off the table for me currently as they are failing my automatic smell test.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » March 12th, 2020, 1:24 pm

Wizard wrote: I suspect there is still more turbulence ahead. Still not comfortable buying. When I do I am not sure I will be trying to pick individual shares, that could be a big challenge that is beyond me.

With the FTSE100 now at a level you could have bought in January 1998 (almost 2 yrs prior to the dot-com bubble peak!), and today yielding almost 6% (trailing yield on iShares ISF ETF), I've just decided it isn't worth trying to pick individual shares either … sure the market could go lower... but buying the FTSE100 now is almost like buying a pre-picked HYP... so I've just put in my last spare cash.

One thing I've learnt investing, is if an offer seems good, don't dither.

Two months ago, if you'd offered me shares in a FTSE100 ETF at a price that gave a 6% yield (or at a price from over 2 decades ago!), I'd have snapped your hand off. Well, that's on offer now. Maybe next week there'll be an even better offer. But equally, maybe next week I'll be kicking myself for dithering. A bird in the hand is sometimes worth 2 in the bush.

If the markets go significantly lower from here, I might consider withdrawing some of my cash buffer currently in premium bonds, and putting that into index trackers. It has slightly more than 12 months expected outgoings in it. Though relative to the value of my shares, it's probably not likely to make a material difference to my overall portfolio (unless the markets go *that* low!). If I lose my job, I should, theory at least, have over 18yrs of built up redundancy payments to top the cash buffer up with, so could probably justify a little dip into that cash buffer. We'll see how the markets pan out over the next few weeks.

(Actually, isn't the whole FTSE100 yield now in the danger zone to avoid!)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » March 12th, 2020, 2:48 pm

Merchants.
Shell B.

Fixed Interest also looking more attractive than of late. Even BP.B yielding <5%.

V8

teecee90
2 Lemon pips

Postby teecee90 » March 12th, 2020, 3:44 pm

I fear I may have pulled the trigger too early :(

Topped up with a slug of cash on 27 Feb and then again on 5th March. I've got another lump of cash coming in at the end of the month, so hopefully the market will still be on sale by then.....

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 12th, 2020, 3:48 pm

teecee90 wrote:I fear I may have pulled the trigger too early :(

At least you can console yourself with pyad's epithet that the time to buy was then. :P

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”