Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Maintained/increased dividends

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
gigha

Re: Maintained/increased dividends

Postby gigha » May 11th, 2020, 11:32 am

Hi, very useful list. Thanks for this. I noticed that TATE isn't listed. Not sure if it fits the HYP criteria nowadays, but used to so may feature in some portfolios. I've not seen any announcement about future dividends so I'm still hopeful.
Best,
Gigha

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » May 11th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:...I would certainly have added Admiral onto the cutters list.

Why ? Reduced traffic on the roads obviously leads to reduced claims.

If Admiral feel confident enough to offer a reduction in premiums, I suspect they are confident enough to pay the [Special] dividends. Shareholders normally come before customers (I happen to reside in both camps)

https://www.admiral.com/stayathome

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 11th, 2020, 12:54 pm

Yes, less accidents but they have to shell out for hire car costs for longer as the repair workshops are not open.
In addition, Admiral are paying a £25 refund.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 11th, 2020, 1:01 pm

mrbrightside wrote:

If Admiral feel confident enough to offer a reduction in premiums, I suspect they are confident enough to pay the [Special] dividends. Shareholders normally come before customers (I happen to reside in both camps)

I would add Admiral to the cutters list because they have cut the Special Dividend which became special in name only as they paid it every year out of claims releases from previous years where they obviously reserved for claims payments on a very conservative basis.

Not sure what a refund to customers has got to do with it.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 11th, 2020, 1:06 pm

miner1000 wrote:I hold 14 on the list plus Rio which didn't cut, they just didn't pay the special.
Good to see your list Dod.

Regards,

Miner

Sorry, which Rio special was not paid? I've checked my iWeb account for 19th September 2019 and the ordinary $1.51 and the $0.61 special both were paid ( one payment). These were for dividends announced on 1st August 2019.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » May 11th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Dod101 wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:

I would add Admiral to the cutters list because they have cut the Special Dividend...

You're right. I stand corrected. Apologies.

Refund to customers - £110m.
Final dividend - £222m.

I must write to them stating that shareholders must come before wasting money on marketing and PR gimmicks.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 11th, 2020, 2:04 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:

I would add Admiral to the cutters list because they have cut the Special Dividend...

You're right. I stand corrected. Apologies.

Refund to customers - £110m.
Final dividend - £222m.

I must write to them stating that shareholders must come before wasting money on marketing and PR gimmicks.

You can write, but surely their answer is that they are putting shareholders first by marketing and PR in order to increase their sales. You can hardly dispute the logic, though you may not like the PR - it's the results that count. Like many things, someone has to make the decision about what to do, how to advertise, etc, and unfortunately it isn't you :)

Arb.

midgesgalore
Lemon Slice

Postby midgesgalore » May 11th, 2020, 2:37 pm

oops, sorry didn't mean to stir a hornet's nest.
Great list and I hold 10 of them + RIO Tinto

midgesgalore

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 11th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Is BHP definitely paying the next dividend or just likely to?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Is BHP definitely paying the next dividend or just likely to?

Annual Earnings announcement is August 17th. That's a long way off to make any claim stronger than "likely to".

shetland
Lemon Pip

Postby shetland » May 11th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Chesnara

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 11th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Enigmatically, Shetland mentions Chesnara. I limited the names to FTSE100 constituents because if I had widened it I might still be drawing up the list this evening. As it is it seems that I omitted Rio Tinto.

There are three life insurers, all of whom have indicated that they will be paying their finals over the next few weeks, starting with Phoenix on 19 May, followed by Chesnara on 2 June and Legal & General on 4 June. They have all been asked by the PRA to consider carefully if they can afford to be paying their final dividends and all have indicated that they can, and with increases in each case. In the Times this morning, Sir John Vickers is reported as expressing concern about the B of E abandoning stress tests for insurers and said that the L & G dividend amounting to £750 million should be blocked.

It is therefore far from certain that these dividends will be paid, at least I am not counting on any of them until the cash is in my bank or at least in my ISA or SIPP account.

Dod

miner1000
2 Lemon pips

Postby miner1000 » May 12th, 2020, 3:01 am

monabri wrote:
miner1000 wrote:I hold 14 on the list plus Rio which didn't cut, they just didn't pay the special.
Good to see your list Dod.

Regards,

Miner

Sorry, which Rio special was not paid? I've checked my iWeb account for 19th September 2019 and the ordinary $1.51 and the $0.61 special both were paid ( one payment). These were for dividends announced on 1st August 2019.

Yes, I agree the special was paid last September. However, the dividend paid in April this year appears not to contain a special unless I am mistaken. Sorry, cannot be bothered to research further but I was paid a dividend at a rate of arround 1.77 per share.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 12th, 2020, 8:17 am

Dod101 wrote:In the Times this morning, Sir John Vickers is reported as expressing concern about the B of E abandoning stress tests for insurers and said that the L & G dividend amounting to £750 million should be blocked.

It is therefore far from certain that these dividends will be paid, at least I am not counting on any of them until the cash is in my bank or at least in my ISA or SIPP account.

Dod

This pontificating by immensely rich people is becoming truly tiresome and damaging to the "squeezed middle" and/or retired folks. If companies have genuinely assessed the situation they should pay. We aren't going to get people back spending again unless those dividends flow back to people who will spend them, not retained so the ultra-top end in society can give themselves additional executive and non-executive payrises (which would be the eventual tendency, in my view). Sir This or That, or Lord of Somewhere Else can get lost as far as I'm concerned, and live on their previous out of kilter gains.

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » May 12th, 2020, 9:24 am

Arborbridge wrote: We aren't going to get people back spending again unless those dividends flow back to people who will spend them,

I think the amount of spending represented by private individual's dividends is far too small to even be a consideration with respect to macroeconomic policy, annoying though the absence of dividends might be to some.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 12th, 2020, 9:50 am

dealtn wrote:
Arborbridge wrote: We aren't going to get people back spending again unless those dividends flow back to people who will spend them,

I think the amount of spending represented by private individual's dividends is far too small to even be a consideration with respect to macroeconomic policy, annoying though the absence of dividends might be to some.

A little more than annoying :(

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » May 12th, 2020, 10:37 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:In the Times this morning, Sir John Vickers is reported as expressing concern about the B of E abandoning stress tests for insurers and said that the L & G dividend amounting to £750 million should be blocked.

Dod

This pontificating by immensely rich people is becoming truly tiresome and damaging to the "squeezed middle" and/or retired folks. If companies have genuinely assessed the situation they should pay. We aren't going to get people back spending again unless those dividends flow back to people who will spend them, not retained so the ultra-top end in society can give themselves additional executive and non-executive payrises (which would be the eventual tendency, in my view). Sir This or That, or Lord of Somewhere Else can get lost as far as I'm concerned, and live on their previous out of kilter gains.

Arb.

I don't think he is immensely rich. He's a former Bank of England official now working as an economist in Oxford. If he is immensely rich, he's probably one of the few alumni of Eastbourne Grammar School to be so. If I have any criticism of him, it would be his response to the financial crisis in 2007, not his presumed wealth.

MDW1954

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 12th, 2020, 11:54 am

Arb will know better than I whether Sir John is immensely rich or not but he is now Warden of All Souls, Oxford. I do not know what that entails and is probably irrelevant to his recent comments about whether life insurers should be paying dividends or not.

Dod

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » May 15th, 2020, 8:52 am

Prudential paid today, cash is already in bank account - so that's one that's maintained its divi, and ignored the PRA. Its offshoot M&G should be paying in a few days time on 29/5. The Pru hasn't been high yield for a while (it was when I bought) but it might well be now!

G3lc
2 Lemon pips

Postby G3lc » May 15th, 2020, 10:07 am

A helpful list thank you I hold about half, but RIO has been my best investment over many years, as it was for my father and i’m Over 80.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”