Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

TJH Portfolio Adjustment-PSON topped up

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
tjh290633
Lemon Half

TJH Portfolio Adjustment-PSON topped up

Postby tjh290633 » June 2nd, 2020, 4:16 pm

This morning I added about 25% more to my holding of Pearson (PSON) at about 505p. It was the highest standing eligible share in my top-up table, and had previously been at 35/36, so obiously itching to be topped up. Some may consider the historic yield of 3.8% too low to consider, but we do not now where we will be with the "New Normal" when the dust has cleared. It now ranks 29th at about 80% of the median holding value. It is a month or so before the interim results, and I have a feeling that, with the tendency towards on-line learning, PSON may be well placed.

My top-up table now looks like this:

Top-up          Income                     Cost                
Rank EPIC Rank EPIC % Income Rank Epic % Cost
1 IMB* 1 RIO 7.61% 1 LLOY 4.44%
2 BP.* 2 BP. 7.45% 2 MARS 4.40%
3 SSE 3 LGEN 6.21% 3 WMH 4.34%
4 RDSB 4 BHP 6.17% 4 AV. 4.29%
5 TSCO 5 BATS 5.70% 5 BT.A 4.24%
6 PSON 6 IMB 5.04% 6 MKS 4.06%
7 ADM 7 NG. 4.30% 7 RDSB 3.99%
8 LGEN* 8 VOD 4.24% 8 BP. 3.96%
9 TATE 9 SSE 4.06% 9 PSON 3.94%
10 S32 10 GSK 3.77% 10 GSK 3.76%
11 BLND 11 ADM 3.67% 11 S32 3.75%
12 BHP* 12 UU. 3.47% 12 BLND 3.67%

As I have said in the past, I disqualify any share which, if topped up by 20%, would provide more than 5% of income or have incurred more than 5% of portfolio cost. Hence if those factors are already above 4.2%, there is an automatic disqualification. Share of income is rising rapidly for those shares not cutting or rebasing their dividends, and so the first 8 of the income rankings and the first 5 of the cost rankings are out, indicated in the top up ranking*.

My portfolio (using last nights closing values except for PSON) now looks like this, ranked by value:

Value                           
Rank EPIC Weight % Median
1 RIO 3.89% 134.9%
2 DGE 3.61% 125.2%
3 SGRO 3.60% 124.8%
4 BATS 3.57% 123.9%
5 AZN 3.57% 123.6%
6 NG. 3.42% 118.7%
7 GSK 3.21% 111.3%
8 ULVR 3.19% 110.6%
9 VOD 3.16% 109.4%
10 BHP 3.11% 107.8%
11 UU. 3.08% 106.6%
12 LGEN 3.00% 103.9%
13 TW. 2.96% 102.7%
14 SMDS 2.96% 102.6%
15 WMH 2.92% 101.2%
16 RB. 2.92% 101.1%
17 BP. 2.90% 100.5%
18 ADM 2.89% 100.3%
19 KGF 2.88% 99.7%
20 TATE 2.82% 97.6%
21 BLND 2.77% 96.1%
22 PHP 2.60% 90.0%
23 SSE 2.60% 90.0%
24 BA. 2.51% 87.0%
25 S32 2.43% 84.3%
26 AV. 2.38% 82.6%
27 RDSB 2.38% 82.3%
28 TSCO 2.31% 80.0%
29 PSON 2.28% 79.1%
30 IMI 2.26% 78.4%
31 MARS 2.25% 77.9%
32 IMB 2.25% 77.8%
33 BT.A 2.25% 77.8%
34 CPG 2.01% 69.5%
36 LLOY 1.77% 61.5%
36 MKS 1.29% 44.8%

Things are moving, but in which direction?

TJH

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: TJH Portfolio Adjustment-PSON topped up

Postby Arborbridge » June 2nd, 2020, 4:58 pm

The change in Pearson's position in my table is also extraordinary, as it leapt from below half way to one of the top eligible shares if one excludes RDSB on the grounds of a recent cut.

It says something about the market that the first eligible top up share is one with a fairly recent history of cutting its dividend. Cutting three years ago, some would rule it out on that ground alone let alone the fact that it is having a torrid time trying to find a place in the modern market.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2020, 7:43 pm

I do not understand but for all I know topping up by this mechanical means may well have some merit. Pearson seems to me though to be a very odd pick.

With the savings I am making on my expenditure at the moment (without any effort!) I have a chunky accumulation of dividends which I can I think afford to reinvest. If Legal & General pays its dividend in a couple of days, they will get my vote for a top up. I sold half of them early in the crisis when the bullies at the PRA were asking insurers to be certain they could afford the dividend. Bought 3IN and although it has a lower yield I have more than made up for that loss with the increase in the share price. OTOH L & G's price has scarcely moved.

Investing is a funny business as is life at the moment.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 2nd, 2020, 9:03 pm

Dod101 wrote:I do not understand but for all I know topping up by this mechanical means may well have some merit. Pearson seems to me though to be a very odd pick.

With the savings I am making on my expenditure at the moment (without any effort!) I have a chunky accumulation of dividends which I can I think afford to reinvest. If Legal & General pays its dividend in a couple of days, they will get my vote for a top up. I sold half of them early in the crisis when the bullies at the PRA were asking insurers to be certain they could afford the dividend. Bought 3IN and although it has a lower yield I have more than made up for that loss with the increase in the share price. OTOH L & G's price has scarcely moved.

Dod

In a way, it is an odd pick, especially as LGEN has about double the yield and hasn't cancelled, whereas PSON did cancel, though three years ago. Would you worry if over 6% over your income comes from LGEN, as I does in my case? How far would you trust to one company to provide for you? - given that we no nothing of what the future holds for either company.

The idea of the method TJH is running is to reduce one's natural tendency to develop "favourites" and piling in too deep, and to ensure the risk is more evenly spread. As a matter of interest, LGEN and PSON are 5 and 6 in my topup table, but LGEN provides far more income - so it's carrying more disaster potential for me if it goes wrong. I know the feeling when 4-5% of one's income vanishes from just one company.

There's nothing clear about the way ahead - whether to go with one's guts or a rationally ordered approach, there cannot be certainty about which is correct.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 2nd, 2020, 10:11 pm

To answer your question, no I would not be bothered with over 6% from L & G. I prefer to follow my overall income for my entire portfolio, where the biggest contributor last year was HSBC, followed by Shell and L & G, all at over 7%. Only L & G has not fallen by the wayside so far this year. Assuming it pays on Thursday, it will undoubtedly take first place by quite a margin. HSBC is a bit of disaster on the dividend front but I feel I can live with the loss.

Pearson is not in my portfolio I am pleased to say and so I do not have the dilemma of needing to decide.

In general though, I think having to live off dividend income sharpens one's perceptions quite a lot.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 2nd, 2020, 10:54 pm

Dod101 wrote:To answer your question, no I would not be bothered with over 6% from L & G. I prefer to follow my overall income for my entire portfolio, where the biggest contributor last year was HSBC, followed by Shell and L & G, all at over 7%. Only L & G has not fallen by the wayside so far this year. Assuming it pays on Thursday, it will undoubtedly take first place by quite a margin. HSBC is a bit of disaster on the dividend front but I feel I can live with the loss.

Pearson is not in my portfolio I am pleased to say and so I do not have the dilemma of needing to decide.

In general though, I think having to live off dividend income sharpens one's perceptions quite a lot.

Dod

That sort of illustrates the scenario that TJH seeks to avoid. Over 7% from HSBC and one-third of 7% from Shell - gone up in smoke. Pearson is giving me a reduced income from where it was, admittedly, but then it was way under 5% in the first place*, so I didn't notice the loss and now it's coming back.

Provided we take on the risk we're happy with, that's all that counts. I take your point about checking the percentage against your whole income generation - that's a good point to bear in mind.

*It'll take me a while to find the figure and it's not that important - however, it was providing around 2 or 3% of my income when they cut.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 2nd, 2020, 11:14 pm

Arborbridge wrote:In a way, it is an odd pick, especially as LGEN has about double the yield and hasn't cancelled, whereas PSON did cancel, though three years ago. Would you worry if over 6% over your income comes from LGEN, as I does in my case? How far would you trust to one company to provide for you? - given that we no nothing of what the future holds for either company.

Arb.

PSON didn't actually cancel. They reduced the interim from 18p to 5p, and the final from 34p to 12p, rebasing in management speak. LGEN are now over 6% of my dividend income, which is a disqualifier, although if only 20 of the 36 were paying dividends I would have to modify my criteria. 14 have so far stopped at least one dividend, and the bar is falling progressively lower. It will be July before I have enough accumulated dividends to make another purchase, and there is only one point between Tesco and SSE. In fact now PSON, BP. and RDSB are all level pegging, and BP. is disqualified on share of income again.

TJH

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » June 3rd, 2020, 6:34 am

Dod101 wrote:I do not understand but for all I know topping up by this mechanical means may well have some merit. Pearson seems to me though to be a very odd pick.

Dod

With regards to LGEN, I did the opposite and bought more on 20 mar 20. They now form a major element in my HYP, and I’m hoping the divi gets paid of course. As to buying more, we’ll see. I haven’t held PSON for some time, and have no urge to buy back into them. My own top up for this month is still going to be SSE on 22 Jun 20.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 3rd, 2020, 6:54 am

tjh290633 wrote:PSON didn't actually cancel. They reduced the interim from 18p to 5p, and the final from 34p to 12p, rebasing in management speak.
TJH

Yes, beg'pardon - I should have said "slashed" not cancelled - but to some people that would rule them out compared with LGEN, and I'm sure that was partly the point of Dod's comment about preferring the latter.

Arb.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 3rd, 2020, 11:53 am

Arborbridge wrote:In a way, it is an odd pick, especially as LGEN has about double the yield and hasn't cancelled, whereas PSON did cancel, though three years ago. Would you worry if over 6% over your income comes from LGEN, as I does in my case? How far would you trust to one company to provide for you? - given that we no nothing of what the future holds for either company.

Dod101 wrote:To answer your question, no I would not be bothered with over 6% from L & G. I prefer to follow my overall income for my entire portfolio, ...

An instructive example: BT's dividends paid in HYP1's eighth year were its 5.4p interim for 2007-2008 (paid February 2008) and its 10.4p final for 2007-2008 (paid September 2008), totalling 15.8p; in the following year, the corresponding figures were 5.4p and 1.1p, totalling 6.5p, a 59% cut to the year's dividend. Meanwhile, the dividends paid by Lloyds in HYP1's eighth year were its 2007 final of 24.7p (paid May 2008) and its 2008 interim of 11.4p (paid October 2008), totalling 36.1p; in the following year, Lloyds paid no dividends at all, a 100% cut. So both cuts were bad (obviously due to the "Great Financial Crisis"), but the cut by Lloyds was considerably worse than the cut by BT, wasn't it?

The answer for HYP1 is that no, it wasn't. HYP1 had 5682 BT shares and 702 Lloyds shares a bit after the start of its eighth year, figures that remained unchanged and rose to 1196 respectively by a bit after the end of its ninth year (*). So its dividends from BT reduced from 5682 * 15.8p = £897.76 to 5682 * 6.5p = £369.33, while those from Lloyds reduced from 702 * 36.1p = £253.42 or possibly a bit more (**) to nothing. So the impact of the BT dividend cut was a £528.43 drop in income received, around twice the ~£253.42 impact of the Lloyds dividend cancellation...

So viewed somewhat abstractly as a percentage drop in the dividends paid by the two companies, independent of the portfolio they're in, the Lloyds dividend cancellation back then was considerably worse than the BT dividend cut, but viewed in terms of their practical effects on HYP1's income, the BT dividend cut was considerably worse than the Lloyds dividend cancellation... The basic explanation of that discrepancy is that at the start of HYP1's eighth year, BT was much more heavily income-weighted in HYP1 than Lloyds: its year 7 annual review reveals that BT had just produced 19.3% of its annual income (£858 out of £4,452), compared with 5.5% (£244 out of £4,452) for Lloyds.

I.e. how badly any particular dividend cut affects a HYPer depends quite a lot on the company's income weighting in their HYP (i.e. its contribution to the HYP's total income as a percentage of that total income): the larger the income weighting, the worse the effects of any dividend cut by that company on your income. This can easily make even a quite moderate dividend cut by a highly income-weighted holding just as bad as or even worse than those of complete dividend cancellation by a lightly income-weighted holding. That IMHO makes Arb's question "How far would you trust to one company to provide for you?" an important one for any HYPer to answer - though note that there's no sensible general answer that applies to all HYPers, only individual answers specific to each HYPer that depend (among other things) on how big an overall income reduction they can take in their stride and how risk-averse they are by temperament.

As it happens, my own answer is in the region of 6%: I generally don't top up holdings that are contributing more than 5% of my HYP's income, start to consider trimming holdings that rise to contributing more than 6%, am pretty likely to decide to trim them before they rise to contributing more than 7%, and am practically certain to trim them before they rise to contributing more than 8%. That doesn't mean that 6% is the right answer for other HYPers - and indeed, I would be fairly certain that for quite a lot of HYPers, it isn't the right answer. My reason for that certainty is that it's impossible to attempt to make all income weightings less than 100% divided by your number of holdings (since that would lead to the nonsensical conclusion that the total of the income contributions of all the holdings was less than the portfolio's total income), and pretty impractical to attempt to make them all less than a figure a bit above that (as income weightings would very frequently be pushed above the limit by routine dividend rises). In practice, I wouldn't try to use an answer less than 150% divided by the number of holdings - so I wouldn't regard "up to 6% of the HYP's income" as a sensible answer to "How far would you trust to one company to provide for you?" for HYPs containing less than 25 holdings.

(*) Sources for these share counts are here and here.

(**) I cannot be entirely certain of the full explanation for the increase in the Lloyds share count between those posts' dates of 27/01/2007 and 30/12/2009, as pyad had left TMF in early 2008 and only gave very perfunctory details of what had happened to HYP1 while he was away when he returned in late 2009. One increase was definitely due to the company's 1-for-40 bonus issue in May 2009, but that can only be a small part of the overall increase. Other very likely ones are reinvestments of the lapsed-entitlements payment from the company's compensatory open offer in June 2009 and the lapsed-rights payment from its rights offer in December 2009 - both of those would have fully in accordance with HYP1's general policy at the time of reinvesting corporate action proceeds in the holding that produced them. My memory is that these three corporate actions could reasonably account of the entirety of the increase in the number of Lloyds shares in HYP1 - that memory is probably a decade or more old, so not necessarily reliable, but I've just done a rough calculation that indicates the same (***). So I'm reasonably certain that all the increases happened in 2009, after Lloyds had ceased paying dividends, but not quite certain that a small part of the overall increase wasn't due to a small top-up with takeover proceeds in 2008. There were three such takeovers, of Resolution in February 2008, Scottish & Newcastle in April 2008 and Alliance & Leicester in October 2008; the bulk of their proceeds were reinvested in new holdings of Pearson and Persimmon, but some was put into some small top-ups. I don't think those top-ups included Lloyds, but cannot be absolutely certain they didn't - if they did, the Lloyds dividends for HYP1's eighth year could have been a bit more than the £253.42 calculated above.

(***) The rough calculation actually indicated a rise to around 1275 shares, but trading costs and reinvestment at somewhat worse prices than the calculation assumes could easily reduce that to 1196 shares.

Gengulphus

mao44
Lemon Pip

Postby mao44 » June 3rd, 2020, 12:50 pm

Dod

I purchased L&G at 185.00 on 26th April and today's price is 220.00 so nearly a 20% increase. Can't really say it has scarcely moved?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 3rd, 2020, 12:56 pm

mao44 wrote:

Dod

I purchased L&G at 185.00 on 26th April and today's price is 220.00 so nearly a 20% increase. Can't really say it has scarcely moved?

That's good I did not realise that because the last time I looked (on Saturday last) it was still under £2.

Dod

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”