Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

BP's New Strategy To Deliver Net Zero Ambition and Q2 Results

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

BP's New Strategy To Deliver Net Zero Ambition and Q2 Results

Postby idpickering » August 4th, 2020, 7:06 am

New strategy sees bp:

Pivoting to low carbon energy and customer focus

-- 10-fold increase in low carbon investment by 2030, with

up to 8-fold increase by 2025

-- partnering with 10-15 cities and 3 core industries in decarbonization efforts

and doubling customer interactions to 20 million per day, all by 2030

And on the dividend;

Delivering long term value for shareholders

-- reset resilient dividend of 5.25c/share per quarter, with commitment to

return at least 60% of surplus cash as share buybacks

-- profitable growth with 7-9% annual growth in EBIDA per share to 2025

-- sustainable value with increasing investment in low carbon and non-oil and gas

https://www.investegate.co.uk/bp-plc--b ... 00050499V/

Q2 Results;

Underlying replacement cost loss for the quarter was $6.7 billion, compared with a profit of $2.8 billion for the same period a year earlier. The result was driven primarily by non-cash Upstream exploration write-offs – $6.5 billion after tax – principally resulting from a review of BP’s long-term strategic plans and revisions to long-term price assumptions, combined with the impact of lower oil and gas prices and very weak refining margins, reduced oil and gas production and much lower demand for fuels and lubricants. Oil trading delivered an exceptionally strong result.
Reported loss for the quarter was $16.8 billion, compared with a profit of $1.8 billion for the same period a year earlier, including a net post-tax charge of $10.9 billion for non-operating items. This included $9.2 billion in post-tax non-cash impairments across the group largely arising from the revisions to its long-term price assumptions and $1.7 billion of post-tax non-cash exploration write-offs treated as non-operating items.

Operating cash flow for the quarter, excluding Gulf of Mexico oil spill payments, was $4.8 billion, including a $1.5 billion working capital release (after adjusting for net inventory holding gains). Gulf of Mexico oil spill payments in the quarter of $1.1 billion on a post-tax basis included the scheduled annual payment.

Proceeds from divestments and other disposals received in the quarter were $1.1 billion. This included the first payment from the agreed sale of BP’s petrochemicals business to INEOS, which delivered BP’s plans for $15 billion of announced transactions a year earlier than expected. The sale of the upstream portion of BP’s Alaska business also completed at the end of the quarter.

Organic capital expenditure in the first half of 2020 was $6.6 billion, on track to meet BP’s revised full year expectation of around $12 billion, announced in April.

BP’s redesign of its organization to become leaner, faster moving and lower cost, including the announced reduction of around 10,000 jobs, is expected to make a significant contribution to the planned $2.5 billion reduction in annual cash costs by the end of 2021, relative to 2019. Restructuring costs of around $1.5 billion are expected to be recognized in 2020.

During the quarter BP issued $11.9 billion in hybrid bonds – a significant step in diversifying its capital structure, supporting its investment grade credit rating, and strengthening its finances.

Net debt at the end of the quarter was $40.9 billion, $10.5 billion lower than in the first quarter. Gearing at the end of the quarter was 33.1% compared with 36.2% at the end of the previous quarter. This reflected the increase in equity associated with the issuance of hybrid bonds and the lower net debt, partly offset by the reduction in equity associated with the second-quarter loss.

A dividend of 5.25 cents per share was announced for the quarter, compared to 10.5 cents per share for the previous quarter. This dividend decision is aligned with BP’s new distribution policy announced separately today.

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/investors.html

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: BP's New Strategy To Deliver Net Zero Ambition and Q2 Results

Postby staffordian » August 4th, 2020, 7:29 am

So another stalwart cuts the Divi and goes for share buy backs.

Not exactly a surprise but disappointing nonetheless.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 4th, 2020, 7:37 am

Lucky holders. The dividend has only been halved.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 4th, 2020, 7:52 am

Dod101 wrote:Lucky holders. The dividend has only been halved.

Dod

That was my thought on this too Dod. Despite this, I might still well top up my BP. Holdings. The cut’s not ideal, but we’re living in weird times for a HYPer imho. One has to adapt methinks?

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 4th, 2020, 8:05 am

idpickering wrote:

Dod

That was my thought on this too Dod. Despite this, I might still well top up my BP. Holdings. The cut’s not ideal, but we’re living in weird times for a HYPer imho. One has to adapt methinks?

Ian.

I am not being entirely serious. If you want to double up on oil that is one thing but the trouble is that each of the oil majors is now in a significant transition phase and I suppose it depends who you think will be better at executing it. I am happy simply holding Shell and see what happens. BP has never attracted me.

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 4th, 2020, 8:25 am

Dod101 wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Dod

Ian.

I am not being entirely serious. If you want to double up on oil that is one thing but the trouble is that each of the oil majors is now in a significant transition phase and I suppose it depends who you think will be better at executing it. I am happy simply holding Shell and see what happens. BP has never attracted me.

Dod

Not being entirely serious, is an admirable attitude to have when reading Alice in Wonderland, or investing at present ;)

I notice the share price is up, but the dividend down. Presumably relief, or the triumph of hope over adversity (yes, and we need some of that with Covid around!). I'm amused too by the thought of a company which makes its living from hyrdocarbons wanting to champion low carbon.
It's true that the greatest companies do adapt over time, but this is like Turkeys getting used to Christmas.

I'm still a holder at the moment, and the market thinks they are making the right noises over breakfast, at least. Tomorrow or this afternoon might be different!

Arb.

PS I thought the thread title was a joke by Ian. "Zero ambition"

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » August 4th, 2020, 9:12 am

For info:
Dividend

BP today announced a quarterly dividend of 5.25 cents per ordinary share ($0.315 per ADS), which is expected to be paid on 25 September 2020. The corresponding amount in sterling will be announced on 14 September 2020. See page 26 for more information.

and on p26
Dividends payable

BP today announced an interim dividend of 5.25 cents per ordinary share which is expected to be paid on 25 September 2020 to ordinary shareholders and American Depositary Share (ADS) holders on the register on 14 August 2020. The corresponding amount in sterling is due to be announced on 14 September 2020, calculated based on the average of the market exchange rates for the four dealing days commencing on 8 September 2020. Holders of ADSs are expected to receive $0.315 per ADS (less applicable fees). The board has decided not to offer a scrip dividend alternative in respect of the second quarter 2020 dividend. Ordinary shareholders and ADS holders (subject to certain exceptions) will be able to participate in a dividend reinvestment programme. Details of the second quarter dividend and timetable are available at bp.com/dividends and further details of the dividend reinvestment programmes are available at bp.com/drip.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 4th, 2020, 9:22 am

Arborbridge wrote:
I'm amused too by the thought of a company which makes its living from hyrdocarbons wanting to champion low carbon.

Arb.

PS I thought the thread title was a joke by Ian. "Zero ambition"

Their new marketing slogan?

" BP, all of the Hydro, less of the Carbon"

( what's more, it's fat-free!)

Thinking about it, I reckon that's actually not a bad slogan...!

;)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 4th, 2020, 9:24 am

I've noticed various posts on the Oilies board where those familiar with Shell and BP universally favour the former.

I have a fairly large chunk of both, both underwater which seems not inappropriate given that's where most of the oil comes from.

Fortunately my BP Prefs BP.B are still paying their full whack.

V8

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » August 4th, 2020, 9:34 am

88V8 wrote:I've noticed various posts on the Oilies board where those familiar with Shell and BP universally favour the former.

I have a fairly large chunk of both, both underwater which seems not inappropriate given that's where most of the oil comes from.

Fortunately my BP Prefs BP.B are still paying their full whack.

V8

I've never visited the oilies board, but like you I have full holdings in both RDSB and BP. I'm not overly concerned about the dividend cuts tbh. I guess they had to be expected. As for their SPs, things change, and hopefully we'll be back to some sort of normal soon, ie a higher oil price, and the use of it (the oil), but I'm not holding my breath though. The bottom line though, let's think longer term than just today.

Ian.

xbigman

Postby xbigman » August 4th, 2020, 3:42 pm

What a load of dribble.
What exactly does 'doubling customer interactions to 20 million a day' actually mean, and why should anyone care?

The few hard facts indicate this is a company in decline. Reducing output by 1 million barrels a day (40%) is a 40% shrinking in size of the company. So a massive increase in % debt terms. Shifting the debt from conventional debt to hybrid bonds is an attempt to disguise just how big the debts are in relation to the companies proposed future size. Going into low carbon energy production to replace that 40% decline sounds very nice, but there is no detail. Exactly how many windmills do they need to build to make up for a million barrels of oil a day? More than they can afford I bet.

So a company in decline. How the decline is managed is the question.
Cutting out all exploration.
Concentrating on drilling proven sites and enhanced recovery projects only.
Investing in low carbon/alternative energy production in an attempt to offset fossil fuel production drop offs.
Cutting expenses to the bone.

These are all very sensible BUT they will result in a long term resizing and rerating off the company and that will cost. The new dividend does look sustainable but I expect it will be pretty static for the foreseeable future.

I'm sure that those who are happy to buy a decent if static dividend and practice strategic ignorance will be fine with this. I can't help thinking there are far too many companies in that bracket now.

Darren

I've never held BP - I have held Shell but don't currently.

chris
Lemon Pip

Postby chris » August 5th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Darren

Whilst I can concur that the nonsense about customer interactions would seem to be dribble and I cannot see how transferring debt to 'hybrid bonds' would be anything other than manipulation and that I can't see how they could be on the balance sheet as anything but debt, even if they converted into shares at maturity, I am afraid that I cannot agree with your further comments:

The few hard facts indicate this is a company in decline.
To extrapolate that this is a company in decline from a reduction in production at this time to me is a weird conclusion. I'm not sure where you have been for the last 4 or 5 months but I'm sure that most people realise that the pandemic has had a drastic affect on the use of oil based fuels. At one point oil companies were paying people to take oil as they had nowhere to store it and were actually storing fuel in tankers at enormous cost.

Therefore if I saw that an oil company was continuing to produce oil at previous high rates, I would be far more worried about it as it would incur high costs and would be selling oil so cheap as to not make it worthwhile. The high production would also have a negative impact on the forward oil price as well.

Exploration is all very well if they find easily extractable oil, but it is an expensive process to go through all the testing of sites. Spending less at the current time does not mean that they will not spend a lot ever again, it means that high costs for less easily extractable oil at this time is a fool's game and somewhere where it is not sensible to be spending a lot at this time.

Therefore I think that you will find that Shell will probably be doing similar things and almost certainly cutting production. To suggest that these reactions to current events show a company in decline is, in my view, dribble.

xbigman

Postby xbigman » August 5th, 2020, 5:29 pm

BP are not reducing current production by a million barrels per day because of low demand or the Pandemic. BP are running down their production numbers long term. As part of this strategy they are moving into alternative energy sources. This whilst carrying significant debt and having a reduced income stream.
IMO that is the definition of a company in decline. Where the decline will end and what the BP of 10 years time will look like I can't say but even a successfully managed decline will see a smaller, less profitable company in its place.

This is an issue for all oil producers. Less long term demand for their product and the need to diversify. They've halved the dividend. Let's hope the new level is sustainable.

Darren

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 5th, 2020, 5:36 pm

xbigman wrote:BP are not reducing current production by a million barrels per day because of low demand or the Pandemic. BP are running down their production numbers long term. As part of this strategy they are moving into alternative energy sources. This whilst carrying significant debt and having a reduced income stream.
IMO that is the definition of a company in decline. Where the decline will end and what the BP of 10 years time will look like I can't say but even a successfully managed decline will see a smaller, less profitable company in its place.

This is an issue for all oil producers. Less long term demand for their product and the need to diversify. They've halved the dividend. Let's hope the new level is sustainable.

Darren

BP are running down their production numbers long term. As part of this strategy they are moving into alternative energy sources.

That sounds like a company not in decline, but preparing to change as required to ensure its future. It's what the great companies have always done in the past.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » August 5th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Arborbridge wrote:That sounds like a company not in decline, but preparing to change as required to ensure its future. It's what the great companies have always done in the past.Arb.

Indeed in fact the change has been a long time in the making. It was a decade perhaps 15 years ago when BP was proclaiming it's green status as one of the largest investors in alternative energy. Then the 2008 rebrand as Beyond Petroleum and the pretty green flower, this isn't really new. But it appears to be scaling up.
As we know way back when the other UK oily used to sell sea shells on the sea shore.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”