Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Shell

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Re: Shell

Postby MDW1954 » October 20th, 2020, 9:05 pm

Moderator Message:
Wizard, in his post above, was broadly correct: this thread would be the better for posts discussing the article cited by the OP, rather than digressing into other areas. If we can't discuss this from a HYP-P point of view, then (given that there is a post on the Share Ideas board that does discuss it), it may be better to simply lock this thread. It's still open at the moment, so let's so how the discussion goes. -- MDW1954

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 20th, 2020, 9:25 pm

One thing this thread has done is to make me slightly more favourable towards Shell.

When I wrote about my topup possibilities, Shell was lying in third place behind BP and IMB but I wasn't particularly drawn to it.
We will see in early November what the change is, but it was the highest valid choice for me, so it might be a go for November, preferred ahead of United Utilities (me other choice for October).

Arb.

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » October 21st, 2020, 10:16 am

Arborbridge wrote:One thing this thread has done is to make me slightly more favourable towards Shell.

When I wrote about my topup possibilities, Shell was lying in third place behind BP and IMB but I wasn't particularly drawn to it.
We will see in early November what the change is, but it was the highest valid choice for me, so it might be a go for November, preferred ahead of United Utilities (me other choice for October).

Arb.

I see little value in the article for HYP purposes, the usual BS about RDSB from people who know nothing about what may happen 10 years ahead but delight in broadcasting their opinions. There is one amusing point in it though where he states:

I believe the most successful and followed author here on SA is Rida Morwa. He wrote an article on 15 April titled “Royal Dutch Shell May Never Be This Cheap Again”.

It was USD34.45

If that was cheap – how about USD24.70 which is what it is now?

My DIY latest calc of the forward yield on RDSB is 5.36% at 915p. For the near identical BP. it is 7.97% at 202p. Thus for HYPers BP is overwhelmingly better than Shell but my advice remains to purchase both equally to spread the company-specific risk in an industry, like mining, that carries two unusually high risks. Namely that they have little or no control over the price of what they sell and the occasional major disasters that befall these industries.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 21st, 2020, 11:11 am

pyad wrote:
I see little value in the article for HYP purposes,

Which is just as well, because I hadn't read it! I'm rethinking my objection to RDSB based not on that article, but on my pickering over my next possible topups, which was stimulated by the thread.

Thanks for reiterating your position, though. Always nice to know where you stand on these things.
Not that I'd let that influence me :lol: 8-)

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 21st, 2020, 11:23 am

Arborbridge wrote:
pyad wrote:
I see little value in the article for HYP purposes,

Which is just as well, because I hadn't read it! I'm rethinking my objection to RDSB based not on that article, but on my pickering over my next possible topups, which was stimulated by the thread.

Thanks for reiterating your position, though. Always nice to know where you stand on these things.
Not that I'd let that influence me :lol: 8-)

Arb.

I too am grateful for Stephen's input, in fact that's my rec that's at the foot of his post. As for reading the article, I did, and imho it's always a good idea to take on board as much info, good or bad, on any given share before making up ones mind as to whether or not to carry out any investing decision, be it to buy, or otherwise.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”