Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Shell 3rd Quarter Results and dividend details

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Shell 3rd Quarter Results and dividend details

Postby idpickering » October 29th, 2020, 7:14 am

Shell today announced a cash allocation framework that will enable it to reduce debt, increase distributions to shareholders, and allow for disciplined growth as it reshapes its business for the future of energy. Ongoing work to reshape Shell’s portfolio is expected to deliver continued cash generation to grow its low-carbon businesses as well as to increase shareholder distributions, making a compelling investment case.

In confirming its progressive dividend policy, Shell announces a dividend per share growth by around 4% to 16.65 US cents for the third quarter 2020 and annually thereafter, subject to Board approval.

The cash allocation framework includes a target to reduce net debt to $65 billion (from $73.5 billion as of September 30, 2020) – and, on achieving this milestone, a target to distribute a total of 20-30% of cash flow from operations to shareholders. Increased shareholder distributions will be achieved through a combination of Shell’s progressive dividend and share buybacks. Remaining cash will be allocated to disciplined and measured capex growth and further debt reduction, targeting AA credit metrics through the cycle.

Shell’s decisive steps this year have significantly strengthened its financial resilience, allowing the acceleration of strategic plans and providing clarity on cash priorities. These actions support Shell's ambition to become a net-zero energy emissions business by 2050 or sooner, in step with society and its customers.

"Our sector-leading cash flows will enable us to grow our businesses of the future while increasing shareholder distributions, making us a compelling investment case," said Royal Dutch Shell Chief Executive Officer, Ben van Beurden.

"We must continue to strengthen the financial resilience of our portfolio as we make the transition to become a net-zero emissions energy business. Our decisive actions taken earlier in the year have solidified our operational and cash delivery. The strength of our performance gives us the confidence to lay out our strategic direction, resume dividend growth and to provide clarity on the cash allocation framework, with clear parameters to increase shareholder distributions."

Chair of the Board of Royal Dutch Shell, Chad Holliday commented: "The Board has reviewed Shell’s recent performance and its plans to grow its businesses of the future, and we are confident that Shell can sustainably grow its shareholder distributions as well as invest for growth.

As a result, the Board has decided to increase the dividend per share to 16.65 US cents for the third quarter 2020. The Board has additionally approved a cash allocation framework for Shell which, on reducing its net debt to $65 billion, will target total shareholder distributions of 20-30% of cash flow from operations."

Shell will continue with its strong capital discipline, including annual Cash capex of between $19 and $22 billion in the near term and a focus on reducing net debt. Shell will continue its relentless high grading of the portfolio with expected divestment proceeds of $4 billion a year on average.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-dut ... 0100H5011/

Issued separately;

ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC THIRD QUARTER 2020 INTERIM DIVIDEND

The Board of Royal Dutch Shell plc (“RDS” or the “Company”) today announced an interim dividend in respect of the third quarter of 2020 of US$ 0.1665 per A ordinary share (“A Share”) and B ordinary share (“B Share”).

Chair of the Board of Royal Dutch Shell, Chad Holliday commented: "The Board has reviewed Shell’s recent performance and its plans to grow its businesses of the future, and we are confident that Shell can sustainably grow its shareholder distributions as well as invest for growth.

As a result, the Board has decided to increase the dividend per share to 16.65 US cents for the third quarter 2020. The Board has additionally approved a cash allocation framework for Shell which, on reducing its net debt to $65 billion, will target total shareholder distributions of 20-30% of cash flow from operations."

RDS B Shares (US$) 0.1665

The pound sterling and euro equivalent dividend payments will be announced on December 3, 2020

Ex Div 12 Nov 20, paid 16 Dec 20.

ROYAL DUTCH SHELL PLC 2021 INTERIM DIVIDEND TIMETABLE

https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-dut ... 0200H5014/

Results RNS here; https://www.investegate.co.uk/royal-dut ... 0000H5005/

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Shell 3rd Quarter Results and dividend details

Postby Darka » October 29th, 2020, 7:26 am

Thanks Ian,

I'm happy to hold for the long term and aim to buy some more RDSB in 2 weeks when I have some dividends coming in.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 29th, 2020, 7:39 am

Darka wrote:Thanks Ian,

I'm happy to hold for the long term and aim to buy some more RDSB in 2 weeks when I have some dividends coming in.

You're welcome. I had mentioned that I'd topped up my RDSB holdings four times this year already, and am at my maximum spend on any given share, but am very happy to continue to hold.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 29th, 2020, 7:56 am

I think that puts RDSB well in the frame for my next topup - this would be before the XD date.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 29th, 2020, 8:14 am

Arborbridge wrote:I think that puts RDSB well in the frame for my next topup - this would be before the XD date.

Arb.

Sounds like a plan. ;)

Ian.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » October 29th, 2020, 8:18 am

More as a reminder to myself, the ex-dividend date is: 12-Nov-20

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 29th, 2020, 8:23 am

Darka wrote:More as a reminder to myself, the ex-dividend date is: 12-Nov-20

As I said in my op lol.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » October 29th, 2020, 8:24 am

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I think that puts RDSB well in the frame for my next topup - this would be before the XD date.

Arb.

Sounds like a plan. ;)

Ian.

Yes, it's just a question of whether to bang in a buy now or wait for the cheap dealing day on the 10th.
That entails one big unknowable variable: the price!

Arb.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » October 29th, 2020, 8:27 am

idpickering wrote:

As I said in my op lol.

Ian.

Sorry Ian, didn't spot that :D

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 29th, 2020, 8:55 am

Darka wrote:
idpickering wrote:

As I said in my op lol.

Ian.

Sorry Ian, didn't spot that :D

No worries. It is early still.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 29th, 2020, 9:11 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Yes, it's just a question of whether to bang in a buy now or wait for the cheap dealing day on the 10th.

Arb.

Ah but the yield won't wiggle around that much will it? I like the cheap dealing days but what I most benefit from them is it forces me to keep buying and funding the account every month and it handily mops up dividends too. Obviously it depends upon deal sizes but the cheap dealing isn't much of a saving. If one is buying anything above a few hundred quid the £10 saving can often be made back with a limit order. So banging in a limit order might be an option?
I've enough of the two oil companies in my HYP for now but with BP on 8% and Shell on 6% I'd look to the competition first as an investor wanting oil exposure.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 29th, 2020, 10:34 am

Arborbridge wrote:Yes, it's just a question of whether to bang in a buy now or wait for the cheap dealing day on the 10th.

What is knowable is market volatility aka the "fear factor", see https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EVIX/chart/
(admittedly this is chiefly an observation of US markets but it's helpful to get a feel for the UK picture)

So investors are selling this week and increasingly so. Plus there is the small matter between those two dates of the election of an individual who's apparent policy is to transition away from oil & gas.

Personally, I'd wait until the 10th.

pyad
Lemon Slice

Postby pyad » October 29th, 2020, 10:45 am

Surprising that they increased the payout, not many companies doing that right now. In the usual BP./RDSB comparison, whilst obviously welcome, Shell's div raise today doesn't look as good against their rival in the light of the recent cuts. BP cut the quarterly div by 50% from 10.50¢ to 5.25¢ whilst Shell cut by 66% from 47¢ to 16¢ before today's Q3 announcement of 16.65¢. The new level is still a cut by Shell of 64.6% from the former figure and thus continues to be a rather greater decline than BP's.

As kempiejon said above, BP's forecast yield is at least two clicks above Shell's so BP remains much better as things stand, but my advice remains to hold both equally, at cost, for those fuelling their HYPs with a new oil sector purchase.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 29th, 2020, 11:43 am

Shell I see have returned to a (modest!) profit. It is good to see that they have increased the dividend. It also had strong free cash flow in the quarter. Much more important though is surely the plans for the future and its promise of full details with its results for the year due on 11 February.

Obsessing about whether just at this moment BP or Shell has the highest yield is to me irrelevant and equivalent to counting the trees not the overall wood. This is about strategy for the next 20 years or so, but of course anyone who encourages strategic ignorance would have some difficulty understanding that.

I am very pleased to hold Shell but not BP.

Dod

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 30th, 2020, 10:03 am

Clearly if selecting shares to provide a high yield for the rest of one's retirement, it is far more important to judge whether the business is being run in a way that makes the dividends sustainable in the long term and not just simply what the latest year's dividend is.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”