Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Is that it?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Is that it?

Postby Arborbridge » November 9th, 2016, 1:30 pm

For those hoping for some HYP bargains after a Trump win, there isn't much to get excited about. The top faller was SBRY, more to do with Argos than Trump I suspect, but even that is reined back to 3.6% down as I write. Or MKS for those with a strong stomach, or how about 2.6% off ULVR ?

Not many bargains to hunt, so back to sleep for most of us.

'Im reminded of a saying of one of my neighbours, in times of trouble: "Remember, things are neither as good as you hoped, not as bad as you feared". Well, as a general maxim, that might be comforting. It isn't always true: I don't think my cousin would agree. He died last week completely unexpectedly .

ManInTheStreet

Re: Is that it?

Postby ManInTheStreet » November 9th, 2016, 1:40 pm

My condolences Arborbridge.

Isn't this market timing? I've given up on that. When I get cash I buy what I think is the best investment at that time. It's trading, as we all keep telling each other, that you have to reduce. I bought BLND on Monday, because I think that's the correct thing to do. In three or six months it may seem wrong, but in three or six years I'm hoping it's a much better bet.

You can always have cash ready for unknowns such as today. But while you may gain if you get luck by investing at such times, by keeping cash just in case you are losing the benefits of investing that cash at all other times. Of course each to their own, but outside my emergency fund I tend to be fully invested.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Arborbridge wrote:For those hoping for some HYP bargains after a Trump win, there isn't much to get excited about. The top faller was SBRY, more to do with Argos than Trump I suspect, but even that is reined back to 3.6% down as I write. Or MKS for those with a strong stomach, or how about 2.6% off ULVR ?

I hold TATE which is down 10% near as damn it, but I'm not going to carry out any knee-jerk reaction, and am thinking long term.

Regards,

Ian

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

Perhaps of more concern on a Global perspective is the 5.3% rise in the SP of BAE Systems. Sure hints at Trump's likely mindset.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 9th, 2016, 2:00 pm

Arborbridge wrote:'Im reminded of a saying of one of my neighbours, in times of trouble: "Remember, things are neither as good as you hoped, not as bad as you feared". Well, as a general maxim, that might be comforting. It isn't always true: I don't think my cousin would agree. He died last week completely unexpectedly .

Well, you'll have known your cousin and I almost certainly won't, but I definitely fear a completely unexpected death much less than a long, drawn-out, painful and increasingly-incapacitated one...

Gengulphus

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 9th, 2016, 2:07 pm

My condolences Arborbridge.

Enough of the sarcasm!

It's not "trading" - that would be buy and selling. Market timing yes, but that is what we all do when we top up. We take advantage of a market timed increase in yield of a given share.

Like you, I'm nearly 100% invested, but there is always cash flowing into a HYP account and a cushion against pension withdrawals. I make no apology for looking out for a chance to invest at what might have been a discount to the normal price, as I did after Brexit. Not to do so, assuming there's a share you were thinking of investing in anyway, would seem to me contrary to one's own self interest.

Arb.

ManInTheStreet

Postby ManInTheStreet » November 9th, 2016, 2:46 pm

I make no apology for looking out for a chance to invest at what might have been a discount to the normal price

I absolutely agree with this. But the trouble is, for me if Clinton had won would the prices of my watch-list have gone up? I seem to have been buying every two or three months recently, so I just take the opportunity to buy when I can. I've tried in the past to second-guess the market, 'knowing' what was going to happen. But it went the other way. :-(

We are going to see a bit of volatility in the near future (are we?) and I will get my opportunities to buy at a discount. The problem is I won't know until after I've bought.

grimer
2 Lemon pips

Postby grimer » November 9th, 2016, 2:52 pm

idpickering wrote:
Perhaps of more concern on a Global perspective is the 5.3% rise in the SP of BAE Systems. Sure hints at Trump's likely mindset.

That might have something to do with the contract to maintain the new F35 stealth fighter. But that was announced a couple of days ago. Either way, my BAE shares have taken a bit of a dip recently, so it is (psychologically) good to see them recover some 'losses' - I'm still up and am happy to take the dividend, so not too bothered at this stage. But I am keeping an eye out for news on the pensions deficit.

YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Postby YeeWo » November 9th, 2016, 3:02 pm

idpickering wrote:Perhaps of more concern on a Global perspective is the 5.3% rise in the SP of BAE Systems. Sure hints at Trump's likely mindset. Ian.

Rolls Royce is up circa 5% and GSK circa 2% amongst my holdings. It does really make you wonder! :roll:

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » November 9th, 2016, 3:37 pm

idpickering wrote:
I hold TATE which is down 10% near as damn it, but I'm not going to carry out any knee-jerk reaction, and am thinking long term.

Anyone know what's behind this? I can blame Trump for most things, but this I can't find a reason for?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 3:39 pm

idpickering wrote:Perhaps of more concern on a Global perspective is the 5.3% rise in the SP of BAE Systems. Sure hints at Trump's likely mindset

A little odd to me because Clinton was perceived as the more likely to get the US involved in war. For instance she advocates for a no-fly zone in Syria, placing the US in direct conflict with Putin. Trump has opposed the US getting involved in military excursions overseas and has said that he would not have invaded Iraq.

So there's another way to look at it longer term. Coal shares are doing well at the US open because Trump believes that climate change is a hoax and wants to disband the EPA. And drugs shares are off to the races.

Interesting times.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 3:47 pm

There was a massive slump in the ftse after Trump's election became inevitable - I've seen the charts on the BBC News channel. Trouble was, it was in the out of hours trading (I can't find any source for those charts). The ftse was some 4-5% down between 4am and 5am (tracking those markets that were already open) but was only a percent of so down by the opening - and soon recovered from that. No bargains for the likes of us mere mortals then :cry:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Breelander wrote:There was a massive slump in the ftse after Trump's election became inevitable - I've seen the charts on the BBC News channel. Trouble was, it was in the out of hours trading (I can't find any source for those charts). The ftse was some 4-5% down between 4am and 5am (tracking those markets that were already open) but was only a percent of so down by the opening - and soon recovered from that. No bargains for the likes of us mere mortals then :cry:

Yes, the Dow Futures were down 800 points at about 4 am today. But only the Asian markets were open to buy then. Frustrating.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 4:02 pm

OK found a chart that shows the blip - briefly down to about 6730 in out of hours trading.
http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/ftse100/

ax1709cjm

Postby ax1709cjm » November 9th, 2016, 5:17 pm

James wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Anyone know what's behind this? I can blame Trump for most things, but this I can't find a reason for?

http://www.digitallook.com/news/broker- ... 35622.html

Apparently due to a broker downgrade due to Trump victory causing a threat to US-Mexican trade relations. This affects TATEs high-fructose corn syrup industry in America, which accounts for 40% of Tate’s earnings, and HFCS profits would very likely collapse. Well, I think thats what it says! Who knew? (I didn't).

However, although TATE was down over 10%, overall I appear to be up on the day. Thank goodness for HYP diversification...

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 9th, 2016, 5:47 pm

ax1709cjm wrote:
James wrote:
idpickering wrote:

http://www.digitallook.com/news/broker- ... 35622.html

Apparently due to a broker downgrade due to Trump victory causing a threat to US-Mexican trade relations. This affects TATEs high-fructose corn syrup industry in America, which accounts for 40% of Tate’s earnings, and HFCS profits would very likely collapse. Well, I think thats what it says! Who knew? (I didn't).

However, although TATE was down over 10%, overall I appear to be up on the day. Thank goodness for HYP diversification...

Sounds as though Trump may well be rolling back on much of the campaign rhetoric already, so may be it won't be that bad for Tate.

Terry.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 9th, 2016, 7:54 pm

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Ian.

I took advantage of this rise to top-slice my overweight holding. It's not just about 'bargains'! I had been thinking about when to reduce even before the election, so was ready to pull the trigger.

Proceeds moved from a 3.7% yield into SSE (5.9%) and VOD (5.4%). OTBE, the extra dividends will more than cover costs in 6 months. After which....

carioca

Postby carioca » November 10th, 2016, 9:01 am

I guess the next phase is getting a better feeling for which of his pre-election promises he's going to stick to.
Like, who is going to build that coast-to-coast wall along the southern border? Some commentators think they'll need another one along the northern border to keep US citizens from moving to Canada.
And who's going to forcefully repatriate all the illegal immigrants? A job for Group4? (Only being sarcastic.)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 10th, 2016, 9:39 am

I can't help feeling some of Trump's friends in the "building trade" are rubbing their hands together in anticipation.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 10th, 2016, 10:43 am

77ss wrote:
Proceeds moved from a 3.7% yield into SSE (5.9%) and VOD (5.4%). OTBE, the extra dividends will more than cover costs in 6 months. After which....

As is sods law, you missed out on the further 5.6% rise in BA. SP as of now. But it's about the income of course. ;)

I'm not selling anything and haven't since Feb this year.

Regards,

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”