Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

GSK 1st QTR Results posted on Company News Board.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

GSK 1st QTR Results posted on Company News Board.

Postby idpickering » April 28th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Here; viewtopic.php?p=407670#p407670

19p dividend, ex-dividend date will be 20 May 2021, with a record date of 21 May 2021 and a payment date of 8 July 2021.

tbh, I forgot about these results, and they've been kindly put up by daveh over on the other board, for which I thanked him.

As I mentioned on this board before, I topped up my GSK holdings in Jan & Feb this year. Despite the static dividend, I can see me buying more GSK tbh.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: GSK 1st QTR Results posted on Company News Board.

Postby Dod101 » April 28th, 2021, 2:31 pm

idpickering wrote:Here; viewtopic.php?p=407670#p407670

19p dividend, ex-dividend date will be 20 May 2021, with a record date of 21 May 2021 and a payment date of 8 July 2021.

tbh, I forgot about these results, and they've been kindly put up by daveh over on the other board, for which I thanked him.

As I mentioned on this board before, I topped up my GSK holdings in Jan & Feb this year. Despite the static dividend, I can see me buying more GSK tbh.

Your remarks puzzle me. I would have sold this company were it not for the possibility of corporate actions as a result of the Elliott shareholdings and maybe some rerating as a result of the coming split, although they say that the aggregate dividend is likely to be lower than the current one. It really is not much use. Before he does so again, I know that simoan I think it was did a sum of parts valuation which suggested that the price is very low. Am I missing something?

Not exactly the ideal HYP share though

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 28th, 2021, 2:37 pm

Dod101 wrote:

Your remarks puzzle me. I would have sold this company were it not for the possibility of corporate actions as a result of the Elliott shareholdings and maybe some rerating as a result of the coming split, although they say that the aggregate dividend is likely to be lower than the current one. It really is not much use. Before he does so again, I know that simoan I think it was did a sum of parts valuation which suggested that the price is very low. Am I missing something?

Dod

Not at all Dod. I'm aware of, and agree with the points you've made, save for the 'puzzlement' one. I'm happy to take the risk by continuing to hold my GSK shares, and even buying more of them. Each to their own, and all that. ;)

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 28th, 2021, 4:05 pm

You may well have been caught out by GSK's habit of posting its results at noon, so they're easily missed by the 7 am sweep that catches most other company results...

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 28th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Gengulphus wrote:

You may well have been caught out by GSK's habit of posting its results at noon, so they're easily missed by the 7 am sweep that catches most other company results...

Gengulphus

You're spot on Gengulphus, thanks. Either way, as a GSK shareholder, I should've been more 'on the ball' maybe? Again, either way, I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I'm only only a human being after all. ;)

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 28th, 2021, 5:50 pm

idpickering wrote:... Either way, as a GSK shareholder, I should've been more 'on the ball' maybe? ...

Alternatively, HYPers shouldn't be 'on the ball' at all, maybe? I've certainly suffered from not being 'on the ball' at times, most notably about Carillion and (long before them) about Bradford & Bingley. Equally, though, I would have suffered from being more 'on the ball' at times, probably most notably about BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto around the end of 2015.

Basically, I don't think there's any clear answer about just how 'on the ball' one should be as an investor. Apart possibly from "find what suits you, and remember that whatever you find, you'll lose some and win some".

Gengulphus

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 28th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Gengulphus wrote:Basically, I don't think there's any clear answer about just how 'on the ball' one should be as an investor. Apart possibly from "find what suits you, and remember that whatever you find, you'll lose some and win some".
My on-the-ballness is almost non-existent. That is what I really like about the HYP, no stress. Actions are few and far between as and when I've enough funds for a meaningful purchase. Apart from that it is a little like fishing. Just waiting around to catch a dividend announcement, which then affects my income graph and prognosis. I stick it in the holding net and get back to watching lazily the river flowing past. C.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 28th, 2021, 7:02 pm

csearle wrote:My on-the-ballness is almost non-existent. That is what I really like about the HYP, no stress. Actions are few and far between as and when I've enough funds for a meaningful purchase. Apart from that it is a little like fishing. Just waiting around to catch a dividend announcement, which then affects my income graph and prognosis. I stick it in the holding net and get back to watching lazily the river flowing past. C.

I humbly rec/thank your outstanding post. You’ve hit the HYPers best attitude and approach to the HYP game right on its’ head IMHO. Sadly I can only rec your post only once.

Ian.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 28th, 2021, 7:10 pm

idpickering wrote:I humbly rec/thank your outstanding post. You’ve hit the HYPers best attitude and approach to the HYP game right on its’ head IMHO. Sadly I can only rec your post only once.
It has to be said Ian that many of my dividend-announcement-fishes are caught in the River Pickering. ;)

Chris

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 28th, 2021, 9:47 pm

idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Not at all Dod. I'm aware of, and agree with the points you've made, save for the 'puzzlement' one. I'm happy to take the risk by continuing to hold my GSK shares, and even buying more of them. Each to their own, and all that. ;)

Ian.

Well, I'm puzzled too. On February 3rd, after GSK's full-year results, you posted this:

MDW1954 wrote:
idpickering wrote:GSK are a mainstay in my HYP, alongside AZN in the sector. I topped up the former at year end last year.

Ian.

Very brave, as Sir Humphrey would have said. The core pharma Glaxo is fast becoming not a share for widows and orphans.

MDW1954

I hear you Malcom. To be fair, I topped up my GSK holdings last October, so had no idea of the future reports from GSK. I’m now very much in agreement with moorfield’s comment above. I’m not selling my GSK holdings and neither will I top up until the split is done and the situation becomes clearer. Sadly, we seem to be losing some of the shares we thought were HYP mainstays. Anyone starting a new HYP here? I bet it’d be a bit different from what some of us are holding now. ;)

Ian.

Since then, you've topped up twice, despite GSK saying that the dividend across the two halves of the business was likely to be lower, going forward...?

As you say, each to their own, but I regarded GSK as uninvestable on February 3rd and still do so today.

MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 29th, 2021, 3:47 am

MDW1954 wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Ian.

Well, I'm puzzled too. On February 3rd, after GSK's full-year results, you posted this:

MDW1954 wrote:
Very brave, as Sir Humphrey would have said. The core pharma Glaxo is fast becoming not a share for widows and orphans.

MDW1954

I hear you Malcom. To be fair, I topped up my GSK holdings last October, so had no idea of the future reports from GSK. I’m now very much in agreement with moorfield’s comment above. I’m not selling my GSK holdings and neither will I top up until the split is done and the situation becomes clearer. Sadly, we seem to be losing some of the shares we thought were HYP mainstays. Anyone starting a new HYP here? I bet it’d be a bit different from what some of us are holding now. ;)

Ian.

Since then, you've topped up twice, despite GSK saying that the dividend across the two halves of the business was likely to be lower, going forward...?

As you say, each to their own, but I regarded GSK as uninvestable on February 3rd and still do so today.

MDW1954

Thanks for your input Malcolm. I openly admit that I can be fickle. I’m not to proud to take heed from comments from wiser Fools such as your good self, and others too. Maybe I should just sit tight on my GSK shares and wait it out? I’m ok with that, there are other HYP shares out there.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”