Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

June 2021 Dividend Payment and Ex-Dividend Dates

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

June 2021 Dividend Payment and Ex-Dividend Dates

Postby Itsallaguess » May 30th, 2021, 7:02 am

Here's a list of June 2021 dividend payments and also below it a list of ex-dividend dates that we can expect for next month.

Dividend payments first -

And these are the ex-dividend companies for June -

Apologies for any omissions in the above data. I've compared the original list to the EPIC's listed on the HYPTUSS data-sheet, so hopefully there shouldn't be too may issues.

The above data has been compiled from the really useful 'Dividend Data' website (https://tinyurl.com/ybvcatga / https://tinyurl.com/y6wun8yj)

The previous list for May 2021 can be found here - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29167

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: June 2021 Dividend Payment and Ex-Dividend Dates

Postby Darka » May 30th, 2021, 9:06 am

Thanks IAAS,

Only 5 payouts for me this month compared to 10 for May.

I do love the simplicity of receiving dividends as compared to having to sell down holdings for income.

(*Disclaimer to total return fans, yes, I know.... but don't care).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » May 31st, 2021, 6:08 am

Thanks IAAG. For me it's seven dividend payments this month, and six next. That figure might reverse as the div from Greencoat UK Wind which was meant to be paid on last Friday hasn't appeared in my account yet? Either way, I don't fret about such things tbh, and don't target my investing to try to even out my monthly dividend payments. I wonder if some hereabouts do such a thing?

Ian.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 31st, 2021, 6:28 am

idpickering wrote:
For me it's seven dividend payments this month, and six next. That figure might reverse as the div from Greencoat UK Wind which was meant to be paid on last Friday hasn't appeared in my account yet?

Either way, I don't fret about such things tbh, and don't target my investing to try to even out my monthly dividend payments.

I wonder if some hereabouts do such a thing?

Hi Ian,

It's surprising how often that topic crops up over the years, where some investors might feel the need to objectively select income-investments primarily around their dividend-payment months, thinking that they might have to 'manually spread' any 12-month dividend payments around specific months where certain companies might choose those months to pay their own dividends, but I've always felt that's putting the cart before the horse in a completely unnecessary way, and a potentially dangerous one from a purely-investment point of view, because I think there's much, much more important investment-based metrics that should drive our company-selection processes, and they shouldn't ever be driven by some arbitrary dividend-payment period...

To help illustrate why such dividend-payment 'months' aren't really all that important anyway, there was a good thread a few years ago that went into some detail about it, and I drew up a simple diagram to help illustrate my own thoughts on the matter, and why using an intermediate 'Holding Account' to capture all our random dividends over a 12-month period, and then pay out from there what we might call our 'Regular Monthly Wage', makes a lot more sense to me than trying to specifically build in a number of dividend-paying investments that might pay out on specific required months -

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16546&start=20#p205179

There's a number of alternative process-tweaks mentioned on the above thread, but the general idea is sound, in that it completely removes the need to worry about actual dividend-payment 'months', and it then allows income investors to concentrate on selecting their income-investments based around much more important 'financial metrics', rather than 'payment-dates'...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 31st, 2021, 7:43 am

I'm not bothered about the number or total of dividends on one month as I run the "holding account" system. At first, the variability disturbed my sense of tidiness, but soon realised it was futile and counter-productive to let that drive my investment pattern.

Arb.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » May 31st, 2021, 8:41 am

Likewise, I have a holding account into which all dividends (and salary until I retire later this year) get paid into.

From that I intend to take 1/12th of it's value at the end of this year as my monthly income for next year.

I prefer a steady consistent income and this smooths it just fine for me.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » May 31st, 2021, 11:11 pm

idpickering wrote:Either way, I don't fret about such things tbh, and don't target my investing to try to even out my monthly dividend payments. I wonder if some hereabouts do such a thing?
Personally I feel I'm quite relaxed about my HYP but if I'm going to worry about any aspect of it then it then, like you I guess, it would be whether a firm will pay its dividends at all rather than in which month they are paid. C.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » June 1st, 2021, 7:03 am

Darka wrote:Likewise, I have a holding account into which all dividends (and salary until I retire later this year) get paid into.

From that I intend to take 1/12th of it's value at the end of this year as my monthly income for next year.

I prefer a steady consistent income and this smooths it just fine for me.

If I understand that correctly, you intend to take all of your dividends, so you won't be reinvesting any for a Safety Margin?

Arb.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » June 1st, 2021, 7:47 am

Arborbridge wrote:If I understand that correctly, you intend to take all of your dividends, so you won't be reinvesting any for a Safety Margin?

Arb.

Hi Arb,

Yes, we intend to take all the dividends (can't do partial payaway on our ISA's) but that will give us an income of around 20% more than we need.
So we will have a safety margin, but have to have it paid out to us first, our monthly budget will then set this aside for reinvesting once it's of a suitable size to keep charges down.

3 years after retirement, my SIPP becomes available and that will boost the safety margin to around 50% and will of course be reinvested during those 3 years until I access it.

Once my SIPP kicks in we will probably increase our spending but still intend to save around 30% to counter inflation, etc.

We also have cash reserves (which I am building now), and a large amount of discretionary spending in our budget which could be adjusted if required.

Regards,
Darka

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » June 1st, 2021, 11:48 am

Darka wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:If I understand that correctly, you intend to take all of your dividends, so you won't be reinvesting any for a Safety Margin?

Yes, we intend to take all the dividends (can't do partial payaway on our ISA's) but that will give us an income of around 20% more than we need.
So we will have a safety margin, but have to have it paid out to us first, our monthly budget will then set this aside for reinvesting once it's of a suitable size to keep charges down.

3 years after retirement, my SIPP becomes available and that will boost the safety margin to around 50% and will of course be reinvested during those 3 years until I access it.

Once my SIPP kicks in we will probably increase our spending but still intend to save around 30% to counter inflation, etc.

We also have cash reserves (which I am building now), and a large amount of discretionary spending in our budget which could be adjusted if required.

As a general rule, I would try to avoid withdrawing money from ISAs with the intention of putting it back in the ISA later - in some circumstances, it ends up wasting some of one's ISA allowance. I do appreciate that you might well not be in such circumstances, but circumstances can change (and even if you remain in such circumstances, I think this worth saying for other readers).

So the approach I would be thinking of taking is only to continue with automatic dividend payaway in the ISAs until you've got adequate cash outside the ISAs (presumably not yet, as you say you're building cash reserves), then switch it off and instead do a monthly 'payday' withdrawal of what you actually need from the ISAs. The safety margin then builds up inside the ISAs, which is where you want it for reinvesting.

I do very much agree with your point that your HYP has a safety margin, which is just the excess (or deficit if negative) of the income your HYP produces over the income you need from it. Every HYP has one - the question isn't whether a HYP has a safety margin, but what the HYPer does with it (or about it if a deficit).

Gengulphus

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » June 1st, 2021, 12:50 pm

Gengulphus wrote:As a general rule, I would try to avoid withdrawing money from ISAs with the intention of putting it back in the ISA later - in some circumstances, it ends up wasting some of one's ISA allowance. I do appreciate that you might well not be in such circumstances, but circumstances can change (and even if you remain in such circumstances, I think this worth saying for other readers).

So the approach I would be thinking of taking is only to continue with automatic dividend payaway in the ISAs until you've got adequate cash outside the ISAs (presumably not yet, as you say you're building cash reserves), then switch it off and instead do a monthly 'payday' withdrawal of what you actually need from the ISAs. The safety margin then builds up inside the ISAs, which is where you want it for reinvesting.

Gengulphus

Thanks Gengulphus,

I do agree that your approach would probably be better (for keeping the safety margin in the ISA), but it does complicate the process slightly and I do need to keep things very simple in case anything happens to me.

What I might do, eventually is when I receive my SIPP is if the safety margin amount is the same as that being output from one of the ISA's, then I could turn off pay away for that ISA only and keep the money in the ISA.

I don't expect any inheritance, but you never know.

regards,
Darka

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 30th, 2021, 6:34 am

Link to the July 2021 dividend thread - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30110

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”