Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Tate & Lyle to be re-positioned as growth business posted on Company News

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Tate & Lyle to be re-positioned as growth business posted on Company News

Postby idpickering » July 12th, 2021, 7:31 am

Here; viewtopic.php?p=426895#p426895

TATE are a mainstay in my HYP, and that of others here too I guess.

The item includes mention of a special dividend here;

Tate & Lyle expects to receive gross cash proceeds of approximately US$1.3bn (c.£0.9bn), resulting in net cash proceeds of approximately US$1.2bn (c.£0.9bn) after customary adjustments and transaction costs.

Following completion, the Board intends that approximately £0.5bn (US$0.7bn) be returned to Tate & Lyle's shareholders by way of a special dividend and associated share consolidation. The balance will be retained to strengthen Tate & Lyle's balance sheet, provide flexibility to invest to accelerate growth and for potential tax arising as a result of the Proposed Transaction.

Ian.

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Re: Tate & Lyle to be re-positioned as growth business posted on Company News

Postby Steveam » July 12th, 2021, 8:11 am

So the special will be a little over £1/share …

Best wishes,

Steve

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 12th, 2021, 8:30 am

Steveam wrote:So the special will be a little over £1/share …

Best wishes,

Steve

I guess so, but after the Tesco special and consolidation, I sometimes feel worse off there.....but let’s not digress.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 12th, 2021, 10:14 am

I tend to treat specials and consolidations as a good excuse for market trading there's often a better bet and a chance to ratchet up portfoil income a smidge. If TATE bung me chunk of cash what else could I buy and can I increase my yield. Nearer ther time I'll see but with a 20 year history without a cut - although there were some static times or where inflation outpaced income - Tate has been a good enough share for me and if the dividend forecast is in the >4% mark I'd consider.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 12th, 2021, 10:58 am

kempiejon wrote:I tend to treat specials and consolidations as a good excuse for market trading there's often a better bet and a chance to ratchet up portfoil income a smidge. If TATE bung me chunk of cash what else could I buy and can I increase my yield. Nearer ther time I'll see but with a 20 year history without a cut - although there were some static times or where inflation outpaced income - Tate has been a good enough share for me and if the dividend forecast is in the >4% mark I'd consider.

Holders of course will need to try to look past the special and see what is likely to happen to the remaining business by way of earnings and ongoing dividends because they are of course selling a good chunk of the business. If they are to became a 'Growth' business that does not sound like a candidate for a HYP.

Dod

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 12th, 2021, 11:00 am

idpickering wrote:
Steveam wrote:So the special will be a little over £1/share …

Best wishes,

Steve

I guess so, but after the Tesco special and consolidation, I sometimes feel worse off there.....but let’s not digress.

Ian.

These things always annoy me.
An irritation for CGT record keeping if/when I ever sell it.
Add in the fact that you are usually no better off afterwards but have a smaller shareholding and some cash that added together usually equal the value of the shares you held before.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 13th, 2021, 10:34 am

Dod101 wrote:
kempiejon wrote:I tend to treat specials and consolidations as a good excuse for market trading there's often a better bet and a chance to ratchet up portfoil income a smidge. If TATE bung me chunk of cash what else could I buy and can I increase my yield. Nearer ther time I'll see but with a 20 year history without a cut - although there were some static times or where inflation outpaced income - Tate has been a good enough share for me and if the dividend forecast is in the >4% mark I'd consider.

Holders of course will need to try to look past the special and see what is likely to happen to the remaining business by way of earnings and ongoing dividends because they are of course selling a good chunk of the business. If they are to became a 'Growth' business that does not sound like a candidate for a HYP.

Dod

Don't we all just hate this sort of event!!

Here we have a steady eddy of a share which has been churning out the goods for my pension scheme without any drama and suddenly it's all thrown into the air. When I think I've occasionally made put extra cash into this company, and now they want to throw it back at me. Why did I bother?

Hot on the heels of the PNN sell off of Viridor, this is Unsettling and depressing and is something which rarely happens with my IT basket ( though oddly, it happened twice last year)

Arb.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 13th, 2021, 10:40 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Here we have a steady eddy of a share which has been churning out the goods for my pension scheme without any drama and suddenly it's all thrown into the air. When I think I've occasionally made put extra cash into this company, and now they want to throw it back at me. Why did I bother?

Hot on the heels of the PNN sell off of Viridor, this is Unsettling and depressing and is something which rarely happens with my IT basket ( though oddly, it happened twice last year)

Arb.

The market has given these proposals a big fat MEH.
Didn't do much for the share price yesterday and down 1.5% as I type today.

I might sell it before they do this nonsense and then buy it back afterwards. If it still looks good. Or redeploy the cash.
It will keep my CGT calcs simpler.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 13th, 2021, 10:47 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Arb.

I do not hold Tate and Lyle but I was just taking a look at the announcement from yesterday. There is no word on the effect of this sale on dividends which seems to be all that a HYPer is interested in but I wonder what might be in it as a Growth business. They are selling only 50% of their old commodites business, primarily in the US and significantly handing Board control of the new company to KPS. The new company is not being floated so T & L are not going to have any opportunity to sell the rest unless by a private deal. I imagine that KPS will see some cost savings and it could be therefore that the 50% remaining with Tate could be quite interesting.

Whether this is a nonsense or not I have no idea. Time will tell. Might even buy some.

Dod

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » July 13th, 2021, 2:50 pm

absolutezero wrote:These things always annoy me.
Add in the fact that you are usually no better off afterwards but have a smaller shareholding and some cash that added together usually equal the value of the shares you held before.

absolutezero wrote:The market has given these proposals a big fat MEH.

I might sell it before they do this nonsense and then buy it back afterwards. If it still looks good. Or redeploy the cash.

As far as I can see, selling and buying back afterwards will just mean that you have a set of CGT calculations to do in the near future plus another if and when you eventually sell, rather than just having the latter - and it doesn't significantly simplify the latter.

As an example, suppose someone has a holding of 1400 TATE shares bought many years ago for £5,600 inclusive of costs. If a special dividend of say 110p per share is paid accompanied by a 6-for-7 share consolidation (reasonable figures given what we know, but not a prediction!) and they do nothing, for CGT purposes their holding consolidates to one of 1200 shares, still with a base cost of £5,600. If they eventually sell that holding for say £12,000 after costs, the gain for CGT purposes is £12,000 - £5,600 = £6,400.

Suppose they instead sell in the near future for say £10,500 after costs, and after this is all over use that to buy a holding of 1390 TATE shares inclusive of costs (*). For CGT purposes, they make a gain of £10,500 - £5,600 = £4,900 in the near future, and if they eventually sell the holding for £13,900 after costs (i.e. roughly the same price per share as above), they'll then make a gain of £13,900 - £10,500 = £3,400.

In the first example, they also receive a special dividend of £1,540, but that isn't relevant to CGT, just to Income Tax; in the second, they don't. So their near-future taxation comparison is £1,540 subject to Income Tax in the first example and £4,900 subject to CGT in the second, and that's accompanied by a possible-eventual-future comparison of £6,400 subject to CGT in the first example and £3,400 in the second. (Though a more like-for-like comparison would assume that they spend what's left of the £1,540 after Income Tax on buying more TATE shares, since that would keep the entirety of the original investment in TATE shares rather than splitting some of it out to be invested in other shares or for other purposes. Depending on personal tax circumstances, that could result in up to about 200 more TATE shares for the possible eventual sale in the first example and up to about £500 more gain on that sale.)

How such tax comparisons work out for individual HYPers will depend a lot on their tax circumstances, and I've no intention of going into it here - such questions are basically a matter for the Taxes board. But the point I'm making here is that special dividends don't affect CGT any more than any other dividends do, and share consolidations (and splits) only require simple adjustments for CGT: basically, change the number of shares in the holding without changing its base cost (**). And there are no special tax rules for special dividend + share consolidation combinations: the CGT treatment is the standard one for a share consolidation.

I've certainly seen companies come up with methods of returning excess capital to shareholders that complicate CGT calculations, such as issuing Redeemable shares accompanied by share consolidations and B share schemes (especially the old no-longer-effective ones that allowed shareholders the choice of receiving their payment as dividends or as capital payments). But special dividends accompanied by share consolidations are not one of them.

(*) This basically assumes they get the same price per share for the sale and the purchase - the 10 shares that go missing from the original 1400 shares roughly account for the stamp duty of ~£50 on a purchase of ~£10k plus two broker commissions.

(**) Unless you receive a fractional entitlement payment (which I've assumed doesn't happen in the above examples because it will make at most a tiny difference), in which case subtract it from the base cost. For completeness, there is a conceivable but very unlikely possible complication here that I've never seen actually happen: if doing that subtraction would make the base cost negative, it has to be handled differently.

Gengulphus

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » July 13th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Arborbridge said: "When I think I've occasionally made put extra cash into this company, and now they want to throw it back at me. Why did I bother?"

I suspect that you've bought more shares in the secondary market - your cash didn't go to the company. (Unless they raised cash and you contributed to that.) The company is now selling part of itself and rather than holding onto the money is distributing this "spare" cash as a special dividend.

I think it's quite mistaken to think that when one buys a share one is putting extra cash into the company.

Best wishes,

Steve

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » July 13th, 2021, 3:34 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
absolutezero wrote:These things always annoy me.

absolutezero wrote:The market has given these proposals a big fat MEH.

As far as I can see, selling and buying back afterwards will just mean that you have a set of CGT calculations to do in the near future plus another if and when you eventually sell, rather than just having the latter - and it doesn't significantly simplify the latter.

Gengulphus

A useful post, as ever, from you.
I, as yet, will do nothing but see how this develops.
From past experience, they always try to complicate things. B shares, as you say, are no longer "a thing" but I will wait and see what the final scheme will be.
As yet. Do nothing!

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 14th, 2021, 7:25 am

Steveam wrote:Arborbridge said: "When I think I've occasionally made put extra cash into this company, and now they want to throw it back at me. Why did I bother?"

I suspect that you've bought more shares in the secondary market - your cash didn't go to the company. (Unless they raised cash and you contributed to that.) The company is now selling part of itself and rather than holding onto the money is distributing this "spare" cash as a special dividend.

I think it's quite mistaken to think that when one buys a share one is putting extra cash into the company.

Best wishes,

Steve

Quite correct - I was being sloppy. But I meant more cash into the shares, of course, and that what it feels like, anyhow. The result is the same: annoyance for the shareholder.

NeilW
Lemon Slice

Postby NeilW » July 15th, 2021, 7:25 pm

The Proposed Transaction repositions Tate & Lyle as a growth-focused speciality FBS business, however the Board continues to recognise the importance of the dividend to total shareholder returns. Consistent with the sale of a controlling stake in the Primary Products business, it is intended to reduce the dividend to reflect the earnings base of the re-focused Tate & Lyle. The pay-out ratio is expected to be maintained and the dividend per share re- based by around 50%, before the impact of the share consolidation. Following completion, it is intended to return ~£0.5bn to shareholders and undertake a share consolidation. From there, it is intended that the progressive dividend policy will be maintained. Completion of the Proposed Transaction is expected in Q1 of calendar year 2022, therefore it is expected that the interim dividend for the 2022 financial year will be paid as usual, with the full year dividend for the 2022 financial year then being re-based.

https://www.tateandlyle.com/sites/default/files/2021-07/12-july-2021-tate-lyle-press-release-final.pdf

So about £1 per share capital return and a 50% drop in yield.

Another bin job.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 16th, 2021, 6:39 am

NeilW wrote:
The Proposed Transaction repositions Tate & Lyle as a growth-focused speciality FBS business, however the Board continues to recognise the importance of the dividend to total shareholder returns. Consistent with the sale of a controlling stake in the Primary Products business, it is intended to reduce the dividend to reflect the earnings base of the re-focused Tate & Lyle. The pay-out ratio is expected to be maintained and the dividend per share re- based by around 50%, before the impact of the share consolidation. Following completion, it is intended to return ~£0.5bn to shareholders and undertake a share consolidation. From there, it is intended that the progressive dividend policy will be maintained. Completion of the Proposed Transaction is expected in Q1 of calendar year 2022, therefore it is expected that the interim dividend for the 2022 financial year will be paid as usual, with the full year dividend for the 2022 financial year then being re-based.

https://www.tateandlyle.com/sites/default/files/2021-07/12-july-2021-tate-lyle-press-release-final.pdf

So about £1 per share capital return and a 50% drop in yield.

Another bin job.

Not for the first time, Directors of a company tell us that a 50% drop in dividend will result in a "progressive" dividend policy. This sort of twisting of the languarge is beyond contempt.
It looks like Tate should exit the HYP, the only question is: when?
It will be the sad loss of a much appreciated steady-eddy.

Arb.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 16th, 2021, 7:25 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Not for the first time, Directors of a company tell us that a 50% drop in dividend will result in a "progressive" dividend policy. This sort of twisting of the languarge is beyond contempt.

Arb.

My thought on this exactly Arb, thank you. Certainly one to ponder with regards as to what to do. I'd be sad to bail out though, should I do so. Either way, although they've never been a very high yielding share for me, I've welcomed the diversification they've offered my HYP.

Ian.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 16th, 2021, 7:40 am

idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

My thought on this exactly Arb, thank you. Certainly one to ponder with regards as to what to do. I'd be sad to bail out though, should I do so. Either way, although they've never been a very high yielding share for me, I've welcomed the diversification they've offered my HYP.

Ian.

I don't know why you don't just leave it be. It would sound preferable to trading it in for more old economy oil and tobacco stocks. Or do you want even more financial services?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » July 16th, 2021, 8:22 am

MrFoolish wrote:
I don't know why you don't just leave it be. It would sound preferable to trading it in for more old economy oil and tobacco stocks. Or do you want even more financial services?

Wise words indeed MrFoolish, thank you. Your 'leave it be' option would be preferable obviously, and is certainly the HYP way. No knee-jerk reactions from me just yet though. Sadly, it seems TATE will not be the company I thought I'd bought into in the future it seems. OK, time and companies move on, I get that. It doesn't mean I have to like those changes.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 16th, 2021, 8:28 am

MrFoolish wrote:
idpickering wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

Ian.

We will have to see what the options are at the time. If it turns out to be producing what I would consider to be "enough" income, then I will leave it. Like all shares in my HYP, it'll be monitored so I am not ruling anything in or out it what is always a fliud situation. This news has knocked off 0.5% from my long term TR for TATE so not welcome at all.

BTW, the Old World stock you mention - say, BAT, has given me a higher TR ;) And let's not go too far with the TATE sentiment - with dividends more or less keeping up with RPI (what would have happened in future with inflation picking up would have been interesting to see) and TR below my median - it's been fair to middling, not outstanding.

However, it's sad to see another HYPable share which has caused me zero trouble over the years suddenly calling attention to itself. There are few enough shares like that.

Arb.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 16th, 2021, 8:58 am

Arborbridge wrote:However, it's sad to see another HYPable share which has caused me zero trouble over the years suddenly calling attention to itself. There are few enough shares like that.
Arb.

Well British companies, and high yielders in particular, are the worst when it comes to playing financial games in an effort to maximise short-term shareholder rewards. I expect it kept Doris's accountant busy.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”