minerjoe wrote: nursing a 60% loss over 2 years, great value. Better to consolidate into a share which pays a more reliable dividend and actually has some cover.
This is where I struggle. As a holder of Cobham, I've also taken the hit to capital (just under a 60% loss), but now I have to decide whether to cut my losses and redeploy into another company, which most likely means never seeing that 60% ever again, or waiting to see what the new management team can do over the next five years? If they do anything like what they say they are going to do, then the capital* should come back, even if not the full 60%, more than the dividends I'd get from redeploying the remaining 40%.
Waiting, even if I sell later, may be a better capital recovery option, or it could lead to a self healing HYP share. As it's (now) less that 0.5% of my portfolio and the overall portfolio yield (and actual dividends) are still on target, I feel no need to act immediately. Of course, it could be that I end up with more chance of Godot turning up than a dividend from Cobham in the next 10 years.
So, a recovery play, or jump to a currently healthy share and hope I don't strike out again?
*capital DOES matter in that I want it to buy dividend paying companies with...