Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Links to Company Share News

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Links to Company Share News

Postby CryptoPlankton » April 29th, 2022, 10:25 am

Firstly, may I just say that this is in no way meant to be a criticism of Ian, his efforts in keeping us informed are very much appreciated (thanks Ian). This has been raised before, but the links to news items on Company Share News now seem to be dominating this board (18 of the last 20 threads) to such an extent that it has become little more than a signpost to there. Other contributions (such as IAAG's dividend dates and individuals' updates) have almost been drowned out, and I wonder if this has led to people feeling less inclined to read or contribute to the board.

As I have said, I do think Ian makes a highly valued contribution with his updates on the Company Share News board. However, for those who are interested (including me!), it makes sense to keep an eye on that board anyway, not least because many of us will be interested in non-HYP shares too.

Am I alone in thinking it would be straightforward and preferable for users to follow both boards? Any relevant HYP discussion regarding news items could still take place here (with reference to Company News) but it might help make navigating this board less fiddly and keep the content fresher and relevant. It would also save Ian duplication of effort

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it as it is how I've been feeling when checking out this board lately.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Links to Company Share News

Postby Dod101 » April 29th, 2022, 11:07 am

I think that CryptoPlankton is correct. It is almost as if the HYP Board is the 'senior' board and unfortunately the result is that it tends to dominate. Company News is what it says it is and certainly is not and should not be confined to HYP shares. So let Company News stand on its own feet, without the constant cross referencing that currently takes place. Hope that is what CP is advocating!

I am not sure mind you that this discussion ought to be here and if not I hope some mod will move this thread (rather than deleting it!)

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 29th, 2022, 11:38 am

Dod101 wrote:
I am not sure mind you that this discussion ought to be here and if not I hope some mod will move this thread (rather than deleting it!)

Dod

I think that this is a valid (and useful) discussion for this board. I can't speak for every moderator, but all of us who moderate the HYP board will probably think the same, I'm guessing.

MDW1954

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 29th, 2022, 11:41 am

CryptoPlankton wrote:
This has been raised before, but the links to news items on Company Share News now seem to be dominating this board (18 of the last 20 threads) to such an extent that it has become little more than a signpost to there.

Am I alone in thinking it would be straightforward and preferable for users to follow both boards?

Any relevant HYP discussion regarding news items could still take place here (with reference to Company News) but it might help make navigating this board less fiddly and keep the content fresher and relevant.

I think the HYP Practical board would benefit greatly from a monthly grouping of RNS articles, instead of the single-item duplication that currently just reflects the same thread-heavy granularity as seen on the individual Company Share News section.

That way, actual 'news content' could stay absolutely the same as it is now, but with HYP Practical being considerably tidied up with just 12 monthly threads containing all the HYP-relevant news articles and Company Share News links...

• May 2022 HYP-related RNS news
  • June 2022 HYP-related RNS news
etc..

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 29th, 2022, 1:58 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:Firstly, may I just say that this is in no way meant to be a criticism of Ian, his efforts in keeping us informed are very much appreciated (thanks Ian). This has been raised before, but the links to news items on Company Share News now seem to be dominating this board (18 of the last 20 threads) to such an extent that it has become little more than a signpost to there. Other contributions (such as IAAG's dividend dates and individuals' updates) have almost been drowned out, and I wonder if this has led to people feeling less inclined to read or contribute to the board.

Yes Ian has been admirably and single handedly running this board of late it seems. Other than RNS cross-posts I've counted only two discussions of substance (by which I mean >10 replies) started here this month:

The good, the bad and the uggerly
PYAD HYP 2019_04 DRAWDOWN – Year Three Commentary

... and prior to that seven in March.

Perhaps folk feel there is nothing new to gain from HYP Practical? I've always found the most interesting threads/discussions here are the ones with robust exchanges of views (but these typically tend to get shut down or moved), however personally I am becoming more interested in using ITs in the future and now find myself reading more than writing. There also do not seem to many newcomers engaging regularly and sadly a few regulars have been lost.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 29th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Now that I think about it, did not at least HYP share news used to be reported on the HYP Board? That then allowed a natural flow of discussion re the merits of the share (or not) to be carried on. Now, with the main company news being reported on the Company News Board any discussion of the news and/or the merits of the share gets closed down on that Board and posters are in general it would seem reluctant to move to say the HYP or Strategies Board to continue any discussion. The thing is that posts in reaction to company news items flow naturally on that Board and do not naturally flow elsewhere after that Board's discussion has been closed down, or so it would seem.

None of this is detracting from the great job that Ian does, and I always look forward to results and so on which I am sure that Ian will have picked up on, but it seems to me that something is amiss.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 29th, 2022, 2:54 pm

As said, it's usually Ian who kindly flags these things, but they have rather come to dominate the Board.

IAAG's idea might be a good one... collect the results and RNS in, for instance, two word docs and post them weekly or monthly.
But .... that presumes that one person is going to do the collecting. Ian has volunteered, one would not wish to lumber him exclusively with the role.
And if something else comes up that another poster thinks worthy of flagging, they would need to add it, having remembered that it existed in the first place.

Personally, if items are posted from day-to-day on Company News I would be happy to omit the flag on HYPP.

V8

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » April 29th, 2022, 2:57 pm

Dod101 wrote:Now that I think about it, did not at least HYP share news used to be reported on the HYP Board? That then allowed a natural flow of discussion re the merits of the share (or not) to be carried on. Now, with the main company news being reported on the Company News Board any discussion of the news and/or the merits of the share gets closed down on that Board and posters are in general it would seem reluctant to move to say the HYP or Strategies Board to continue any discussion. The thing is that posts in reaction to company news items flow naturally on that Board and do not naturally flow elsewhere after that Board's discussion has been closed down, or so it would seem.

None of this is detracting from the great job that Ian does, and I always look forward to results and so on which I am sure that Ian will have picked up on, but it seems to me that something is amiss.

Dod

And the news info, whether posted here or on the news board is very useful, when Investegate forgets to report the RNS. For example the Sainsbury report yesterday hasn't appeared on Investegate at all as far as I can see (should have appeared in the my alerts list for me). So Ian provides a very useful service.

One thing that has happened on the company news board is that discussion around the latest news has been squashed and moved elsewhere (Comparison between Sainsbury, Tesco and M&S and how they had performed was moved here, and a discussion on why Persimmon share price had been on a long term down trend (even though the results looked decent) was moved to Stocks and Sharedealing discussions).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 29th, 2022, 3:16 pm

This is an interesting chat. Thanks for the kind comments. I think what I might do going forward is put all the HYP type share news in one post each day. Links to the info for each share would be included in that one post.

I do get that it does seem a bit cluttered with my news type offerings, so my idea would lessen the traffic on this board at least. Is that a way forward? Either way, I never meant to cause any angst for anyone, and I’m sorry if that is the case.

I’m going to report my post and ask what those in modland think about my idea, or their own perhaps?

If this thread does get moved can a link to it be put on this board please?

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 29th, 2022, 3:41 pm

Further to my last, if I’m told that what I’m doing currently, ie posting links to Company News here is correct and the way to go, then I shall continue to do so. No offence taken or intended.

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 29th, 2022, 3:59 pm

idpickering wrote:Further to my last, if I’m told that what I’m doing currently, ie posting links to Company News here is correct and the way to go, then I shall continue to do so. No offence taken or intended.

Ian.

I am sure that we had this discussion some time ago. At that time it was agreed that the news should be posted on the Company News pages, but that a link to each pertinent one should be posted here, repeating any dividend information as appropriate.

Grouping them in some way on this forum seems a good idea.

TJH

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 29th, 2022, 4:12 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
idpickering wrote:Further to my last, if I’m told that what I’m doing currently, ie posting links to Company News here is correct and the way to go, then I shall continue to do so. No offence taken or intended.

Ian.

I am sure that we had this discussion some time ago. At that time it was agreed that the news should be posted on the Company News pages, but that a link to each pertinent one should be posted here, repeating any dividend information as appropriate.

Grouping them in some way on this forum seems a good idea.

TJH

Thanks for your input Terry, I recall that, hence my having just carried on as I have been doing so. I agree about grouping the items together, I just hope I don't run out of time editing my posts though. :D

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 29th, 2022, 4:20 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I am sure that we had this discussion some time ago. At that time it was agreed that the news should be posted on the Company News pages, but that a link to each pertinent one should be posted here, repeating any dividend information as appropriate

TJH

And that is of course the point raised by CryptoPlankton. It causes clutter; there are more shares discussed on Company News than just HYP shares, and reporting on Company News and nothing more there stifles or at least discourages further (and natural) discussion. Discussion is or should be what the Boards are all about.

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 29th, 2022, 4:38 pm

daveh wrote:One thing that has happened on the company news board is that discussion around the latest news has been squashed and moved elsewhere (Comparison between Sainsbury, Tesco and M&S and how they had performed was moved here, and a discussion on why Persimmon share price had been on a long term down trend (even though the results looked decent) was moved to Stocks and Sharedealing discussions).

As the moderator responsible for at least some of that, I'd like to respond. Dod has made much the same point, so it's a reply to both of you (and anyone else who is interested).

Basically, we're getting users reporting such discussions, because they are not company news. Often, it's people talking about their return over the years, or whether they plan on buying more (and when), and so on.

There's no ban on discussing company news. Discussions of individual posters' portfolios are what we don't want to see there.

MDW1954

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » April 30th, 2022, 6:21 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
daveh wrote:One thing that has happened on the company news board is that discussion around the latest news has been squashed and moved elsewhere (Comparison between Sainsbury, Tesco and M&S and how they had performed was moved here, and a discussion on why Persimmon share price had been on a long term down trend (even though the results looked decent) was moved to Stocks and Sharedealing discussions).

As the moderator responsible for at least some of that, I'd like to respond. Dod has made much the same point, so it's a reply to both of you (and anyone else who is interested).

Basically, we're getting users reporting such discussions, because they are not company news. Often, it's people talking about their return over the years, or whether they plan on buying more (and when), and so on.

There's no ban on discussing company news. Discussions of individual posters' portfolios are what we don't want to see there.

MDW1954

And, as another responsible for some of that, I agree with this completely.

I don't think people start discussing their own positions on Company News deliberately, I just think it feels natural to do so. But the structure we are trying to maintain would have them discuss their portfolios elsewhere with a link back to the relevant news item if appropriate. It really isn't that difficult and has the advantage that those uninterested in others' portafogli can stay focussed on the actual news.

Chris

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » April 30th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Perhaps just post a link here if there's a corporate action or if something surprising happens with the dividend? Strategic ignorance and all that. I thought one of the ideas behind HYPs is that you are not trading on news.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » April 30th, 2022, 8:53 pm

I for one have no problem with Ian’s modus operandi as it stands. Yes, it’s clutter, but acceptable in context.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » April 30th, 2022, 9:20 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Perhaps just post a link here if there's a corporate action or if something surprising happens with the dividend? Strategic ignorance and all that. I thought one of the ideas behind HYPs is that you are not trading on news.

Yes, that's a useful suggestion. Other stuff can get summarised in a weekly post.

MDW1954

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » April 30th, 2022, 10:12 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Perhaps just post a link here if there's a corporate action or if something surprising happens with the dividend? Strategic ignorance and all that. I thought one of the ideas behind HYPs is that you are not trading on news.

Sometimes the news compels you to trade, like when there is a B-share issue or a special dividend with share consolidation.

You cannot run an HYP and be in ignorance of such events.

TJH

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » April 30th, 2022, 11:56 pm

My main interest in reading the majority of Ian's posts/links to Company News on this board is to get the up-to-date info on any dividends announced (Type of dividend (Interim, Quarterly, Final, Special); Amount (with any date info for conversion of foreign currency conversion); Ex-Div date and Payment Date).

This is not always made available on the Company News post that Ian provides. If the only place that results etc are announced is to be the Company News board, then I would hope that the dividend info would be posted there. If it isn't, and I then need to look elsewhere to get it (either at the company report itself from an Investigate link or from another website such as dividendata or my broker) this may reduce my use of Lemon Fool. A once a week summary would not be a suitable replacement.

I thought the current arrangement came about to solve the problem of some Company News posts appearing on the HYP Practical board only and not on the Company News board at all, leading to non-HYP posts appearing here .

Adrian

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”