Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

too high?

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Re: too high?

Postby csearle » June 26th, 2022, 2:28 pm

Moderator Message:
Well that all got very cross, personal, and quite rude in places. I've removed a whole load of such posts and those citing them. Please could we try to discuss things without getting too personal about it and without calling people liars. Thanks - Chris

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 26th, 2022, 3:32 pm

Moderator Message:
It seems we can't. One more try. - Chris

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 26th, 2022, 6:54 pm

csearle wrote:
Moderator Message:
It seems we can't. One more try. - Chris

Ok I'll bite. Lets have one more try at resetting this discussion onto a more civil level.

IAAG and IanT are both clearly experienced investors who have something valuable to contribute to this place, in my view. Park their manners of delivery for a moment. I am genuinely interested in how IanT analyses and determines high yield dividend sustainability. If I have missed some post which expands on this, I'm struggling to find it, so I don't think I'm being unreasonable in asking for a link.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » June 26th, 2022, 7:14 pm

Looking for dividend sustainability with a new company, I'll have a look at the history to see how they have been able to maintain the dividend in the past. Look at the cover and the company forecasts to see whether dividend is covered now and going ahead and then have a look at any news coverage to see if there is a reason the yield is so high. From all that I then take a decision on whether to invest in the company.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 26th, 2022, 8:02 pm

daveh wrote:Look at the cover and the company forecasts ...

So how much cover do you like to see?
Used to be 2x. Those were the days.

V8

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » June 26th, 2022, 8:19 pm

88V8 wrote:

Used to be 2x. Those were the days
Before ranking I like to manipulate the dividend yields I use to assume the firms have a dividend cover of 2 (utilities are an exception). In this way I am factoring in a dividend cut for the very high yielders and effectively assuming they will do it. If they are still worthy of a top up then I have no qualms. C.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 26th, 2022, 10:00 pm

I think my approach to this question has changed over the years for two primary reasons.

One of those I've already covered, which relates to painful historical lessons when fishing in the ultra-high-yield arena, and not being convinced that there's a suitable process available that reduces that risk to a worthwhile degree when set against any potential work involved to do so, but I also wanted to mention the second reason that hasn't really been touched on yet, but which I think carries some real importance...

As the size of my income-portfolio has grown over the years, the larger levels of new regular purchases, either into top-ups or new holdings, is such that allowing myself to stay within more moderate areas of yield has still continued to deliver on my long-term income-related goals, as I hopefully head towards some level of part time working in the coming years.

I don't think it's any coincidence that on seeing the original table of very high yields in kempiejon's opening post, without even thinking about things too much my eye was drawn to Phoenix yield of 7.99% and an instinctive line was drawn at that point, where anything sat above it would not have interested me in the slightest, and having recently taken a quick look at my remaining HYP holdings, of which quite a few still remain, I find it instructive that none of my current HYP holdings actually have a forecast-yield above that 8% mark, so that level of yield feels like a bit of a natural break to me, between playing on the pavement at the side of B-roads and playing on the hard-shoulder of the motorway...

My view would be to ask myself 'why take the risk?' above that 8% yield level, and in my current position I would struggle to give an answer that forced me away from more moderate yields, given that my current plans are being broadly satisfied by not having to do so, and my 'sleep at night' level is probably the best it's ever been.

To be absolutely clear, I certainly see those two situations as being inextricably linked...

I thought this aspect of things was worth mentioning, because it's often the case with these types of discussions that 'stage of investment life' stuff isn't offered up often enough as part of peoples overall views and current approaches, I don't think, even though such aspects often carry quite a considerable personal weighting...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 26th, 2022, 10:07 pm

88V8 wrote:

Used to be 2x. Those were the days.

V8

Worth noting that REITs can't have a dividend cover of 2. 1.1 is the figure that you're looking for.

MDW1954

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » June 26th, 2022, 10:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:I don't think it's any coincidence that on seeing the original table of very high yields in kempiejon's opening post, without even thinking about things too much my eye was drawn to Phoenix yield of 7.99% and an instinctive line was drawn at that point, where anything sat above it would not have interested me in the slightest, and having recently taken a quick look at my remaining HYP holdings, of which quite a few still remain, I find it instructive that none of my current HYP holdings actually have a forecast-yield above that 8% mark, so that level of yield feels like a bit of a natural break to me, between playing on the pavement at the side of B-roads and playing on the hard-shoulder of the motorway...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

All I would say is that one can buy a share at 4% yield, and then circumstances change, the share price goes down (think Ukraine, or 2008, or Brexit or whatever), and you're looking at an 8% forecast yield.

So you sell? Or hold on?

If the long term fundamentals look OK, I hold on, and sod the percentage FY.

MDW1954

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 26th, 2022, 10:51 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
All I would say is that one can buy a share at 4% yield, and then circumstances change, the share price goes down (think Ukraine, or 2008, or Brexit or whatever), and you're looking at an 8% forecast yield.

So you sell? Or hold on?

I agree, and I think this has been covered a little in some of the earlier posts, where I'm personally happy to make a clearer distinction regarding 'already held' investments, but then much more critically considering where fresh injections of new capital goes.

At portfolio level things are always likely to remain at least somewhat 'relative' even with your situations mentioned above, but I think we're talking about 'relative anomalies' here, aren't we, which would still exist in most market conditions anyway?

In an earlier post I made the point that the long-term benefits of keeping trading low in a long-term buy-and-hold strategy will carry some weight when considering any 'need' to trade out of existing holdings that are likely to have floating yields to some degree, and especially with market-impact events such as the ones you mention, which of course should always be taken into account anyway.

I've considered most of the discussion on this thread and the RIO one to primarily be about new funds, rightly or wrongly, and it's there that I'd always try to consider more moderate purchases than some of the ultra-high-yields at the top of kempiejon's opening table...

Having just taken a quick look, I did acknowledge your consideration in my first reply on this thread -

So that, to me, gives reason enough to perhaps justify maintaining current-positions in some income-investments that may make their way onto these types of ultra-high-yield tables, because the alternative of persistently trading around such occurrences may actually be, over the long term, more detrimental to the health of what's supposed to be a long-term buy-and-hold strategy than simply maintaining those current holdings and keeping a portfolio-level view of things where possible.

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34915#p509335

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » June 27th, 2022, 8:17 am

Here is my experience of buying 'ultra-high yield' shares in my HYP. For simplicity, I have considered any share I purchased with an historic yield >6%.

Galliford Try (GFRD) purchased at 10.3% (2017). Dividend Cut in 2018.
Imperial Brands (IMB) purchased at 7.4% (2019) and 7.71% (2022). Pandemic cut in 2020.
Abrdn (ABDN) purchased at 6.5% (2019). Pandemic cut 2021.
Vistry (VTY) purchased at 6.5% (2021). OK so far!
Sainsburys (SBRY) purchased at 6.5% (2014). Cut in 2015.
WPP (WPP) purchased at 6.5% (2019). Pandemic cut 2020.
Marstons (MARS) purchased at 6.4% (2018). Pandemic cut in 2020. Nothing since.
HSBC (HSBA) purchased at 6.2% (2015). Pandemic cut in 2020.
SSE (SSE) purchased at 6.1% (2017) and 7.1% (2018). Pandemic cut 2020.

So what do I make of that?

Six of the nine cut due to the pandemic, five of which are recovering.

Two cut within a year of purchase!

One is OK so far, but I have only held for a year.

I can rightly be accused of chasing the yield in some cases, and I have suffered for it.

I think another thread on dividend safety factors considered when purchasing could be interesting which I may start if I have time later!

FD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 27th, 2022, 8:33 am

funduffer wrote:
Here is my experience of buying 'ultra-high yield' shares in my HYP. For simplicity, I have considered any share I purchased with an historic yield >6%.

Galliford Try (GFRD) purchased at 10.3% (2017). Dividend Cut in 2018.
Imperial Brands (IMB) purchased at 7.4% (2019) and 7.71% (2022). Pandemic cut in 2020.
Abrdn (ABDN) purchased at 6.5% (2019). Pandemic cut 2021.
Vistry (VTY) purchased at 6.5% (2021). OK so far!
Sainsburys (SBRY) purchased at 6.5% (2014). Cut in 2015.
WPP (WPP) purchased at 6.5% (2019). Pandemic cut 2020.
Marstons (MARS) purchased at 6.4% (2018). Pandemic cut in 2020. Nothing since.
HSBC (HSBA) purchased at 6.2% (2015). Pandemic cut in 2020.
SSE (SSE) purchased at 6.1% (2017) and 7.1% (2018). Pandemic cut 2020.

So what do I make of that?

Six of the nine cut due to the pandemic, five of which are recovering.

Two cut within a year of purchase!

Interesting data-points.

If we take the largest initial 'yield-anomaly' in that list of 10.3% then, and take a look at the subsequent yield and dividend history of Galliford Try from around the purchase time of 2017 to the present day -

Source - https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend-history.py?epic=GFRD

Whilst it's clear that we should never start to assume single data-points will prove any sort of universal rule here, I think it's at least educational to add granular examples where crash-and-burns from great yield-based heights have been encountered, and so the question for me would then be to ask if we're more likely than not to experience similar results when fishing in the ultra-high-yield end of the market...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » June 27th, 2022, 9:07 am

That doesn't give the full position of GFRDs dividend since it was a UHY share. When GFRD ran into trouble and had to cancel the dividend it also sold off its housebuilding division to Bovis, which became Vistry. GFRD shareholders received a significant holding in Vistry as payment and are therefore receiving significant dividends from their Vistry holding received due to holding GFRD. Therefore to get a true veiw on the outcome of buying GFRD you need to also account for the Vistry shares received.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 27th, 2022, 9:12 am

MDW1954 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:I don't think it's any coincidence that on seeing the original table of very high yields in kempiejon's opening post, without even thinking about things too much my eye was drawn to Phoenix yield of 7.99% and an instinctive line was drawn at that point, where anything sat above it would not have interested me in the slightest, and having recently taken a quick look at my remaining HYP holdings, of which quite a few still remain, I find it instructive that none of my current HYP holdings actually have a forecast-yield above that 8% mark, so that level of yield feels like a bit of a natural break to me, between playing on the pavement at the side of B-roads and playing on the hard-shoulder of the motorway...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

So you sell? Or hold on?

MDW1954

My answer of course is 'Know your share' as I have already said.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 27th, 2022, 9:15 am

daveh wrote:
That doesn't give the full position of GFRDs dividend since it was a UHY share. When GFRD ran into trouble and had to cancel the dividend it also sold off its housebuilding division to Bovis, which became Vistry. GFRD shareholders received a significant holding in Vistry as payment and are therefore receiving significant dividends from their Vistry holding received due to holding GFRD.

Therefore to get a true view on the outcome of buying GFRD you need to also account for the Vistry shares received.

Thanks - that's a good point raised that's hopefully best answered by funduffer then, given that he's seen the complete round-trip of that large drop in GFRD yield and dividend, alongside the subsequent addition of his Vistry holding from that corporate action.

Hopefully funduffer is able to expand a little on how he felt the overall impact of that period affected that particular section of his income-portfolio then, taking the above into account?

I think with these things the simplest question to ask about these ultra-high-yield ventures is 'given what you know now regarding what's happened post-purchase, do you feel as though it was worth it?'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » June 27th, 2022, 9:46 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
daveh wrote:
That doesn't give the full position of GFRDs dividend since it was a UHY share. When GFRD ran into trouble and had to cancel the dividend it also sold off its housebuilding division to Bovis, which became Vistry. GFRD shareholders received a significant holding in Vistry as payment and are therefore receiving significant dividends from their Vistry holding received due to holding GFRD.

Therefore to get a true view on the outcome of buying GFRD you need to also account for the Vistry shares received.

Thanks - that's a good point raised that's hopefully best answered by funduffer then, given that he's seen the complete round-trip of that large drop in GFRD yield and dividend, alongside the subsequent addition of his Vistry holding from that corporate action.

Hopefully funduffer is able to expand a little on how he felt the overall impact of that period affected that particular section of his income-portfolio then, taking the above into account?

I think with these things the simplest question to ask about these ultra-high-yield ventures is 'given what you know now regarding what's happened post-purchase, do you feel as though it was worth it?'....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

So have I, but at the moment I'm travelling home by train starting on the Esk Valley line so can't access my records. I'll have a look tomorrow, buts it's complicated by the fact that I topped up Vistry after receiving them from my GFRD holding.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » June 27th, 2022, 10:22 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:Personally, I found Luni's approach to risk very persuasive.
It certainly mirrors what I now do in practice, and I'm indebted to Luni for helping me to crystallise those thoughts. But it didn't catch on, because -- hey -- the thought-police at the time judged otherwise.

The major problem I had with Luni's 'DangerZone' idea was that it was a very simple concept wrapped, at that time and as regularly demonstrated by him, in a set of huge up-front processes that turned the whole idea into a data-centric monster, when it really didn't need to be...

Point of order; All Luni required was five years of rising dividends and a yield within certain boundaries.
The data set was maintained so that a pick-list could at any time be created embracing those two criteria.
As you say, very simple really.
What the thought police - good phrase - could never get their heads around was that the Zones had fixed boundaries and sometimes shares zigzagged over those boundaries.

His Danger Zone began at 160% of the FTSE100. Moorfield's is 2x CTY. I think either would serve as a caution flag.

Looking at the OP's list, I have Rio, expecting a cut, had Antofagasta whose 'specials' were reliable until they weren't, have M&G which is a bit of a punt with no track record, have Phoenix, L&G and Imps all of which seem to be safe, fttb.

Don't hold Aberdeen because I am already heavy Financials, or Anglo because I already have RIO and BHP, and I don't buy housebuilders.

I also have a big chunk of DEC Diversified Energy whose well-hedged divi yields >10% pre-tax, a level excused by enthusiasts on the basis that 'the market doesn't understand the business model'.

DEC is a bit YOLO, but at my age and with our spare income I can afford it.
This is one thing sometimes missing when one is pondering a poster's thoughts, their risk appetite and where they are on the life/investment cycle.

V8

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 27th, 2022, 10:40 am

88V8 wrote:
Point of order; All Luni required was five years of rising dividends and a yield within certain boundaries.

The data set was maintained so that a pick-list could at any time be created embracing those two criteria.

As you say, very simple really.

Yeah, that's a fair point, but I distinctly thought during that period that it was a case of a really simple metric tail beginning to want to wag the whole income-strategy dog, and I much preferred the idea that someone could far more simply just add such a zone-checking yield-metric right at the end of their *normal* processes, thus creating much less fuss whilst benefiting from what I have honestly always thought of as a really quite valid idea at its heart...

There was also the additional issue I have with those sorts of regularly intensive data-centric models, that meant that it was never actually clear how a 'man off the street' income-investor could replicate or verify the initially large data-sets, and I'm very much of the mind that *enabling* people rather than *informing* people is the best long-term approach to these types of things, and whilst I'm of course someone who also regularly posts fairly large and regular data-sets, I have always where possible included links and clear instructions as to how such data can both be replicated and verified, but also importantly to me, those links and instructions then go on to allow people to have a go at similar processes whenever they might wish to, which has always been a key intent for most of my data-centric posts, which I would hope to perhaps be educational and informative at the same time...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

IanTHughes
Lemon Quarter

Postby IanTHughes » June 27th, 2022, 12:20 pm

Here is the raw data for Purchase Yields and subsequent dividend cuts/increases, within the ‘virtual‘ Drawdown Portfolio that I am currently managing.

EPIC      | Yield | Cut Y/N? | Cut %    | Next Yr % | Next Yr %
VOD | 9.00% | Y | -40.35% | -0.92% | -0.79%
GSK | 8.91% | N | 0.00% | 0.00% | 0.00%
IGG | 8.61% | N | 0.00% | 0.00% | 0.00%
ABDN | 7.97% | Y | -32.41% | 0.00% | 0.00%
HSBA | 7.53% | Y | -39.13% | -54.41% | 75.49%
AV | 7.32% | Y | -48.33% | 35.48% | 5.00%
IMB | 7.16% | Y | -33.33% | 0.99% | 0.30%
WPP | 7.13% | Y | -62.17% | 5.73% | 252.88%
Portfolio | 6.32% | | | |

ITV | 6.25% | Y | -67.50% | -100.00% | 126.92%
SHEL | 6.00% | Y | -66.55% | 34.08% | 22.92%
BP | 5.63% | N | -38.04% | -20.64% | 11.11%
LAND | 5.33% | Y | -49.07% | 16.38% | 37.04%
BLND | 5.26% | Y | -48.50% | -5.79% | 45.74%
BHP | 5.11% | Y | -12.86% | 65.33% | 32.63%
BA | 4.53% | N | 2.16% | 5.91% | 0.00%
SMDS | 4.34% | Y | -100.00% | 74.69% | 23.97%
CCL | 3.96% | Y | -100.00% | 0.00% | 0.00%
IBST | 3.73% | Y | -66.32% | -50.00% | 368.75%

A few points to consider:

1. Where dividends are declared in USD or EUR, the above calculations are based upon the GBP value received.
2. Where a drop of 100% is followed by a rise, I have calculated the % change as the new dividend as a percentage of that before the cut.
3. Where the final column refers to an unfinished year, a forecast has been used.

As far as I can see, in this portfolio at least, there is no correlation that can be drawn with regard to the level of Purchase Yield and subsequent changes in dividend through the pandemic. Indeed the only 100% cuts have been at the lower purchase yields.

Enjoy!

Ian

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 27th, 2022, 5:01 pm

On a slightly different tack, here is a list of the shares which I currently own, ranked by start yield and showing IRR to date:

Epic   Share                            Start Yld   IRR    
IMI IMI plc 7.82% 42.90%
UU. United Utilities Group plc 7.12% 10.03%
LGEN Legal & General Group plc 6.72% 10.25%
SSE Scottish & Southern Energy plc 6.69% 11.05%
ADM Admiral Group plc 6.63% 12.81%
AV. Aviva plc 6.53% 6.34%
VOD Vodafone Group plc 6.09% 6.21%
RIO Rio Tinto plc 6.08% 32.98%
MARS Marstons plc 5.72% -1.50%
IMB Imperial Brands plc 5.71% 21.33%
BLND British Land plc 5.50% 6.07%
LLOY Lloyds Banking Group plc 5.50% 16.76%
TATE Tate & Lyle plc 5.46% 12.82%
GSK GlaxoSmithKline plc 5.34% 8.77%
BT.A BT Group plc 5.31% 9.97%
BP. BP plc 5.03% 11.40%
IGG IG Group Holdings plc 4.79% -12.03%
BATS British American Tobacco plc 4.76% 11.22%
NG. National Grid plc 4.73% 13.92%
AZN AstraZeneca plc 4.37% 16.10%
DGE Diageo plc 4.37% 15.21%
PSON Pearson plc 4.36% 3.82%
TW Taylor Wimpey plc 4.26% 3.74%
SGRO Segro plc 4.23% 9.67%
SMDS DS Smith plc 4.09% 12.67%
RB. Reckitt Benckiser Group plc 4.08% 11.55%
PHP Primary Health Properties plc 3.94% 1.99%
RDSB Royal Dutch Shell plc B 3.77% 8.55%
ULVR Unilever plc 3.72% 9.51%
KGF Kingfisher plc 3.47% 5.47%
S32 South32 Ltd 3.19% 19.05%
TSCO Tesco plc 3.08% 6.52%
BHP BHP Group Ltd 2.86% 10.75%
BA. BAe Systems plc 2.13% 12.23%
MKS Marks & Spencer plc 2.06% 3.74%
CPG Compass Group plc 1.18% 13.11%
WDS Woodside Energy Ltd 0.00% 917.83%

Woodside at the bottom has only been held for a few days.

Then I have a list of the shares no longer held, this time with the addition of the days held:

Epic       Share                                   Start Yld   IRR       Days Held
BRE Brit Insurance Holdings NV 7.90% 129.25% 161.00
INDV Indivior plc 7.82% 21.35% 1280.00
PFL Premier Farnell plc 6.62% 10.48% 3071.00
ITV ITV plc 6.34% -0.51% 4974.00
WMH William Hill plc 6.20% 9.15% 4682.00
TOMK Tomkins plc 5.76% 7.63% 1431.00
MAY Mapeley Ltd 5.59% -88.99% 3355.00
TNI Trinity Mirror plc 5.43% -10.95% 699.00
PRU Prudential Corp plc 5.41% 12.45% 7175.00
RTO Rentokil Initial plc 5.25% 0.34% 1353.00
BG. BG Group plc 5.20% 15.80% 7121.00
DSGI DSG International plc 5.01% -37.46% 1167.00
PILK Pilkington plc 4.61% 10.53% 9545.00
RSA RSA Insurance Group plc 4.52% 2.37% 6225.00
BAY British Airways plc 4.42% -33.69% 1276.00
SPW Scottish Power plc 4.25% 10.99% 3157.00
REX Rexam plc 4.10% 10.41% 4582.00
SCTN Scottish & Newcastle plc 3.94% 30.20% 409.00
SXC Six Continents plc, formerly Bass plc 3.88% 3.86% 1288.00
MAB Mitchells and Butler plc 3.83% 38.20% 1272.00
CTT Cattles plc 3.69% -81.53% 1014.00
IHG Intercontinental Hotels Group plc 3.64% 35.51% 866.00
BCI Blue Circle Industries plc 3.63% 20.74% 735.00
MONI Marconi 3.40% 7.67% 4837.00
HBOS HBOS plc 3.30% 4.69% 4021.00
ICI Imp.Chem.Ind.plc 3.25% 10.64% 13841.00
CBRY Cadbury Schweppes plc 3.25% 11.40% 7619.00
WTB Whitbread plc 3.21% 10.77% 3008.00
BOC BOC Group plc 2.76% 11.69% 6952.00
HNS Hanson plc 2.65% 11.75% 7542.00
PFD Premier Foods plc 2.52% -46.29% 1163.00
Energy Energy Group 2.13% 34.42% 466.00
NFDS Northern Foods plc 1.82% -2.36% 1808.00
YULC Yule Catto plc 1.56% 29.56% 907.00
SGC Stagecoach Holdings plc 1.53% 22.32% 3150.00
CNA Centrica plc 0.00% -97.24% 17.00
ALLD Allied Domecq plc 0.00% 115.52% 372.00
Syngenta Syngenta AG 0.00% -92.88% 10.00
OOM O2 0.00% 161.82% 31.00
THUS Thus Group plc 0.00% 30.78% 2401.00
AAL Anglo American plc 0.00% 38.04% 498.00
CLLN Carillion plc 0.00% -93.54% 789.00

Some of those at the botton were only held for a few days, others never paid a dividend while I held them. In the current context we are looking at the shares with the highest initial yield. Those which stand out are IMI and RIO among those still held, and some of the numbers speak for themselves. Brit Insurance was held for a short time until taken over. Indivior was sold once the intention to stop dividends was announced.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”