Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

HICL Share Offer

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

HICL Share Offer

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 28th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Received details from my broker this morning:

1 New Ordinary share for every 22 Existing Ordinary shares held at an Issue Price of GBP1.59 per New Ordinary share.

More details here:

http://citywire.co.uk/money/hicl-share- ... um/a995398

FWIW I intend to take up the offer.

RC

kogsawelly

Re: HICL Share Offer

Postby kogsawelly » February 28th, 2017, 1:48 pm

RC
Not much of a discount on current share price of GBP1.65
Having said that, it has been a good solid performer for me and may have considered it.
However, It currently ranks 33rd out of 35 in my HYP top up spreadsheet.
regards
Kogsawelly

PeterBill

Postby PeterBill » February 28th, 2017, 2:28 pm

I'm also looking at this, as you said not much of a discount but infrastructure projects, (United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, France, Ireland and the Netherlands) may be on the way up.

Like the yield ... hopefully it will not crash and burn when Brexit actually takes place.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 28th, 2017, 2:49 pm

kogsawelly wrote:RC
Not much of a discount on current share price of GBP1.65
Having said that, it has been a good solid performer for me and may have considered it.
However, It currently ranks 33rd out of 35 in my HYP top up spreadsheet.
regards
Kogsawelly

I only have a half-median holding and I'm happy to add a little more given the steady increase in dividends and the inflation linked returns of the business. I can get more excitement from some of my other holdings such as Carillion and Cobham :) A little more diversification from a 'boring' but steady performer doesn't seem like a bad option.

RC

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » February 28th, 2017, 6:18 pm

I hold and will probably take up.
I seem to recall it was a Luniversal favourite across in the old place.
Does my memory deceive me?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » February 28th, 2017, 7:00 pm

Minesadouble wrote:I hold and will probably take up.
I seem to recall it was a Luniversal favourite across in the old place.
Does my memory deceive me?

A little perhaps, he owned HICL (and no doubt still does!)...

Date: 28/10/2013

The trouble with these British infrastructure funds is that they have behaved perversely. They were pitched as having safe, quasi-indexed income streams-- long-term deals and top-quality covenants with revenue from governmental organisations-- which would make up for not being as exciting on the capital front as a wildcat property developer.

Date: 12/06/2014

I have little appetite for infrastructure funds despite owning HICL.

Date: 26/08/2014

Infrastructure funds were marketed on the probability that income would at least keep up with inflation, which by and large since the crisis they have not: e.g. Primary Health Properties, HICL.

Date: 15/01/2015

Dividend growth is slow at HICL...

RC

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » March 1st, 2017, 7:17 am

RC

Quite right! Hardly glowing from Luniversal on HICL.

Anyway I purchased HICL in one hit in April 2015, I thought I'd held much longer.
I have an IT portfolio, but this sits in my HYP.
It provides some diversification, a fair yield of 4.5% and capital growth of a modest 5.7%, to date.
It feels quite bond like in performance terms and for me justifies its position.

MAD

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 1st, 2017, 7:31 am

Minesadouble wrote:RC

I have an IT portfolio, but this sits in my HYP.
It feels quite bond like in performance terms and for me justifies its position.

MAD

If it's "bond like" then it sounds like it doesn't fit with a HYP's requirement for growing income.
Since you have an IT portfolio, why put it in your HYP, especially as you view it as bond-like?
You can do what you like, of course 8-), but if it were me, I'd leave in where it belongs - in an IT portfolio.
I prefer not to muddy the waters by mixing concepts.

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » March 1st, 2017, 9:51 am

Arborbridge,
There's a case for that.
HICL sits in my HYP currently and I tend to regard it sectorally alongside British Land.
It resides within my SIPP with all my other HYP shares.
In running an IT portfolio, I do see some overlaps, the most obvious being that GSK and AZN are in my HYP, Worldwide Healthcare WWH and Biotechnology BIOG are in my IT Portfolio.
It doesn't cause me any bother and it's straight in my head :)

MAD

TahiPanas

Postby TahiPanas » March 2nd, 2017, 2:35 am

HICL has cash calls every year by issuing new shares. The offers are very close to NAV for the following reasons. They have to do this as previous cash received is invested in "wasting" investments with 20 to 30 year lifespans. That is their business. They contract to finance and run infrastructure projects for a fixed term at the end of which they are valueless. I have previously described HICL as an honest upfront Ponzi scheme as they need constant new infusions of cash to, ultimately, pay existing and future investors.

Also, it's dividend increase rates are, to my mind, pathetic being in the 1.25% annual range, if memory serves me well.

A further aspect is that the unique nature of the business means that the net asset value of the shares is very much dictated by discounted cash flow. The important result of this is that the NAV is highly dependent on interest rates. It seems world rates are destined to rise which is why HICL's premium on the market is declining from, IRRC, an astronomic 15% to a merely huge 10% -ish at the moment.

HICL's yield is high and looks secure as long as existing investors continue to buy the new shares. I sold my holding some time ago, at about current rates, as I couldn't see much growth and anticipated, like everyone else, that interest rates would have a negative effect on NAV. However, rates are rising almost glacially.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”