Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Unitisation (?)

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
doug2500
Lemon Slice

Re: Unitisation (?)

Postby doug2500 » April 15th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, and your illuminating post earlier in the thread - that's why I'm interested in unitisation, to iron out the difference that timing can make. Although the other half of me doesn't care - it's my performance which matters most to me, and comparisons second.

You really need to make the accumulation-or-income-unit decision on the basis of what you want to know - do you just want to know the total return, which is what you get from accumulation units, or do you want to know the split between capital growth and income, which is what you get from income units (in the form of the income unit value and the "income per income unit" figure)?

I'm only interested in total return, it doesn't matter to me where the money comes from, I'm still contributing to my portfolios.

My problem is that I have nominee ISA's along with certificates and a CREST account which lend themselves to the two different types of unitisation. Whichever I choose leads to a fair bit of work re dividends in the other portfolio, and I just don't know if I'm up for it. Time is an issue and I'm trying to simplify things. Things are not helped by having multiple brokers / fund houses. I could reduce but I like having more than one broker. At the moment I have three until I see what's happening with TDD, but I'd be happy with two. To further complicate things I own some funds in my share dealing accounts. (I'm not a HYP'er and I'm sorry for polluting your boards with my drivel)

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 16th, 2017, 1:05 am

doug2500 wrote:I'm only interested in total return, it doesn't matter to me where the money comes from, I'm still contributing to my portfolios.

My problem is that I have nominee ISA's along with certificates and a CREST account which lend themselves to the two different types of unitisation. Whichever I choose leads to a fair bit of work re dividends in the other portfolio, and I just don't know if I'm up for it. Time is an issue and I'm trying to simplify things. Things are not helped by having multiple brokers / fund houses. I could reduce but I like having more than one broker. At the moment I have three until I see what's happening with TDD, but I'd be happy with two. To further complicate things I own some funds in my share dealing accounts.

In that case, my suggestion would be the following - there's nothing much in it that wasn't in my earlier post, I'm just making it more concrete now that I know more about what you want:

* If you haven't already got one, open a dedicated bank account that you use as the central hub of all your investments (both shares and funds to avoid the complications you fear from holding both). For ISAs and any other nominee accounts that use a broker cash balance, use it to supply funds to or withdraw funds from the accounts. For nominee accounts that use a linked bank account, use it as the linked bank account. Treat CREST accounts like nominee accounts, except that you also mandate dividends into the dedicated bank account, pay any cheques received for them (either dividends received before the dividend has been mandated, or other cheques for corporate action proceeds) into it, and pay any corporate action costs from it (e.g. the subscription price for taken-up rights). Do the same about dividends and corporate actions for certificated holdings, and also use the dedicated bank account to supply the funds for any new certificated purchases and receive the proceeds of any certificated sales. Other than that, use the dedicated bank account for all transfers of money into your investments or out of them, and only for such transfers - don't use it for everyday purposes such as paying bills, paying for shopping, etc!

* Regard all the share/fund accounts, all the share certificates and the dedicated bank account as being 'inside' the portfolio and everything else as 'outside', and calculate accumulation units only. You then only have to do a unitisation calculation each time you transfer money between the dedicated bank account and the 'outside world', which I would suggest you make a quarterly or monthly event, depending on how quickly you're accumulating 'new cash' to add to your investments and how eager you are to get it out of cash and into share/fund investments. Buys, sells, dividends and corporate actions don't cause any unitisation calculations because they remain completely 'inside' the portfolio, nor any "income per income unit" calculations because you're not calculating income units.

* One thing I should emphasise is that you do have to value the entire portfolio each time you do a unitisation calculation. That's more work than just valuing the account that you do a transaction in, but it will probably happen a lot less frequently. And it might fit in well with a quarterly or monthly skim review around the entire portfolio, looking e.g. for accumulations of cash that have grown large enough to fund a cost-effective purchase.

Or of course abandon the idea of doing unitisation - the above can keep the work involved down, but it does still involve some work, both to set it up and to run it once set up. Only you can decide whether you consider that work worthwhile!

Incidentally, precisely the same approach can simplify the cashflows required for IRR calculations. Basically, unitisation and IRR calculations both require one to have a clear 'inside' vs 'outside' distinction, with data about all cashflows between 'inside' and 'outside', and they use exactly the same cashflow data as each other - it's just that unitisation additionally requires valuations on the dates of the cashflows.

Gengulphus
Last edited by Gengulphus on April 16th, 2017, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 16th, 2017, 1:36 pm

Gengulphus, thank you very much for your long and informative posts.

It looks like I'm going to try this!!

I've spent all morning constructing a spreadsheet that works. For any transaction I will need to enter a portfolio valuation (which I'll take from stockopedia) and two fund prices to get an up to date value, and then the cash I'm moving. The rest should be automatic.

I've decided to split things into 3:
All my ISA's together
My 2 funds held with fund houses (a small proportion of the overall portfolio, which I will never put more money into, but might close)
All my certificates and online trading accounts, including two funds held within trading accounts

This breakdown makes sense to me and will simplify things a bit. The fund portfolio will see no activity and the ISA's hopefully just paying in this years allowance.

I have a high interest (supposedly!!!) bank account sitting more or less dormant which I can use to collect divi's etc which will become part of my trading portfolio. This will require a few phone calls to registrars which is a bit of a pain but a one off. (I've just remembered I'll need to add the bank to the spreadsheet)

Thanks for all the help,

Doug

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 16th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I've had to re-jig things already - I realized my spreadsheet wouldn't pick up cash within nominee accounts so I've scrapped the plan of taking valuations from stockopedia (apart from my certificate holdings) and will just have to login to either my ISA'a or Trading Accounts every time I add or remove money. A minor pain but not too bad.

Quite excited about this now - shame it takes so long before I'll be able to quote anything meaningful from it.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”