Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY) - Final Results.

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY) - Final Results.

Postby idpickering » February 22nd, 2024, 7:12 am

In 2023 the Group remained focused on proactively supporting people and businesses through persistent cost-of-living pressures, whilst financing their ambitions and growth. This has come alongside strong progress on our strategy and delivering increased shareholder returns, guided as always by our core purpose of Helping Britain Prosper.

The Group delivered a robust financial performance, meeting our 2023 guidance, driven by income growth, cost discipline and strong asset quality. This performance enabled strong capital generation and increased shareholder distributions.

2023 was a critical year in building towards the ambitious strategy we announced two years ago, as we look to grow our business and deepen relationships with our customers. As demonstrated in our recent strategic seminars, we have made significant progress and are on track to meet our 2024 and 2026 strategic outcomes, helping us build towards higher and more sustainable returns.

Our strategy is purpose-driven. Building a more sustainable and inclusive future is central to this, including our commitment to supporting the environmental transition, social housing and broader purpose-aligned objectives. We are excited about the opportunities that lie ahead as we continue to deliver for all of our stakeholders."

Charlie Nunn, Group Chief Executive

And later;

Dividends on ordinary shares and share buyback

The directors have recommended a final dividend, which is subject to approval by the shareholders at the annual general meeting on 16 May 2024, of 1.84 pence per ordinary share (2022: 1.60 pence per ordinary share), equivalent to £1,169 million, before the impact of any cancellations of shares under the Company's buyback programme (2022: £1,059 million, following cancellations of shares under the Company's 2023 buyback programme up to the record date), which will be paid on 21 May 2024. These financial statements do not reflect the recommended dividend.

Shareholders who have already joined the dividend reinvestment plan will automatically receive shares instead of the cash dividend. Key dates for the payment of the recommended dividend are outlined on page 81.

Share buyback

The Board has announced its intention to implement an ordinary share buyback of up to £2.0 billion. This represents the return to shareholders of capital, surplus to that required to provide capacity to grow the business, meet current and future regulatory requirements and cover uncertainties. The share buyback programme will commence as soon as is practicable and is expected to be completed, subject to continued authority from the PRA, by 31 December 2024.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/announcem ... s-/8050061

Ex div 11 Apr 24, paid 21 May 24.

Also posted on Company News here; viewtopic.php?p=648479#p648479

I think some here hold these, so this may be of interest here.

Ian (No holding).

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Lloyds Banking Group (LLOY) - Final Results.

Postby monabri » February 22nd, 2024, 9:19 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ling-450m/

Charlie Nunn, chief executive of Lloyds, said: “There remains significant uncertainty as to the extent of any misconduct and customer loss, if any, the nature of any remediation action, if required, and its timing. Hence the impact could materially differ from the provision, both higher or lower.”

Is he related to Vicky Pollard?

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 22nd, 2024, 9:25 am

monabri wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/22/lloyds-banking-group-results-car-finance-misselling-450m/

Charlie Nunn, chief executive of Lloyds, said: “There remains significant uncertainty as to the extent of any misconduct and customer loss, if any, the nature of any remediation action, if required, and its timing. Hence the impact could materially differ from the provision, both higher or lower.”

This is a recurring theme with banks though isn’t it? It’s just one of the things that makes them totally univestable to me. If you need to continually screw over your customers to make profits and then get caught and fined, what does that say about the business model? What does it say about the company management?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 22nd, 2024, 9:39 am

simoan wrote:
monabri wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/22/lloyds-banking-group-results-car-finance-misselling-450m/

This is a recurring theme with banks though isn’t it? It’s just one of the things that makes them totally univestable to me. If you need to continually screw over your customers to make profits and then get caught and fined, what does that say about the business model? What does it say about the company management?

Yeah..but No...but yeah!

I hoped Mr Nunn would be a cut above the dreadful previous CEO ( António Horta-Osório..."I'm sorry I haven't a PPI clue".)

Pollard-speak ( see above) says to me "we're guilty but we want to break the news slowly to our shareholders such that the fine doesn't come as one big hit!".

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 22nd, 2024, 12:09 pm

I had to look up the Vicky Pollard reference. We don't have a TV set.

Dividend up 15%, which does interest me.

MDW1954

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 22nd, 2024, 12:22 pm

This is what they say in the RNS:

Remediation increased to £675 million and included a £450 million provision for the potential impact of the recently announced FCA review into historical motor finance commission arrangements. This charge includes estimates for costs and potential redress. There remains significant uncertainty as to the extent of any misconduct and customer loss, if any, the nature of any remediation action, if required, and its timing. Hence the impact could materially differ from the provision, both higher or lower.

Which is much the same as is being reported by the Telegraph.

They go on to say elsewhere in the RNS

The Group has recognised a charge of £450 million for costs and potential redress in light of the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) section 166 review of historical motor finance commission arrangements and sales across several firms announced in January 2024. The review follows the recent decisions by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) in favour of the customer in relation to motor finance commission complaints. The charge includes estimates for operational and legal costs, including litigation costs, together with estimates for potential awards, based on various scenarios using a range of assumptions, including for example, commission models, commission rates, applicable time periods (between 2007 and 2021), response rates and uphold rates. Costs and awards could arise in the event that the FCA concludes there has been misconduct and customer loss that requires remediation, or from adverse litigation decisions. However, while the FCA review is progressing there is significant uncertainty as to the extent of misconduct and customer loss, if any, the nature and extent of any remediation action, if required, and its timing. The ultimate financial impact could therefore materially differ from the amount provided, both higher or lower. The Group welcomes the FCA intervention through an independent section 166 review.

Motor commission review

A £450 million provision, all recognised in the fourth quarter, has been established for the potential impact of the recently announced FCA review into historical motor finance commission arrangements and sales.

As disclosed in previous periods, the Group continues to receive a number of court claims and complaints in respect of motor finance commissions and is actively engaging with the FOS in its assessment of these complaints. On 10 January 2024, the FOS issued its Final Decision on a complaint relating to the Group, as well as decisions relating to other industry participants. On 11 January 2024, the FCA announced a section 166 review of historical motor finance commission arrangements and sales and plans to communicate a decision on next steps in the third quarter of 2024 on the basis of the evidence collated in the review. The FCA has indicated that such steps could include establishing an industry-wide consumer redress scheme and/or applying to the Financial Markets Test Case Scheme, to help resolve any contested legal issues of general importance.

Following the FCA Motor Market Review in March 2019, the FCA issued a policy statement in July 2020 prohibiting the use of discretionary commission models from 28 January 2021, which the Group adhered to. The Group continues to believe that its historical practices were compliant with the law and regulations in place at that time.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 22nd, 2024, 2:02 pm

MDW1954 wrote:I had to look up the Vicky Pollard reference. We don't have a TV set.

MDW1954

me too. I'm still waiting for Lloyds to "self-heal" in the HYP sense, and I shall be waiting a long while yet, I think. It's nice to see some progress, but the dividend is still lower than years ago, let alone the price, which has been pathetically scraping along the bottom for years.

Arb.

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » February 22nd, 2024, 2:12 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:I had to look up the Vicky Pollard reference. We don't have a TV set.

MDW1954

me too. I'm still waiting for Lloyds to "self-heal" in the HYP sense, and I shall be waiting a long while yet, I think. It's nice to see some progress, but the dividend is still lower than years ago, let alone the price, which has been pathetically scraping along the bottom for years.

Arb.

It has ticked up around 5% today though so the market has received the announcement pretty warmly.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 22nd, 2024, 4:23 pm

Padders72 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

It has ticked up around 5% today though so the market has received the announcement pretty warmly.

Elleva long way to go when my average buying price was 80p - which at the time seemed a really low average.

Yes, I could top up :roll:

torata
Lemon Slice

Postby torata » February 23rd, 2024, 3:00 am

Arborbridge wrote:
Padders72 wrote:It has ticked up around 5% today though so the market has received the announcement pretty warmly.

Elleva long way to go when my average buying price was 80p - which at the time seemed a really low average.

Yes, I could top up :roll:

I'll see your 80 and raise you 86.
But at least I can take cold comfort from the fact it's not the 7+ quid that it was before the GFC (lol)

torata

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 23rd, 2024, 9:00 am

My first share purchase in 2000 (bar Norwich Union which I got/bought at demutualisation as I had an investment policy with them) when I set up my first broker account. Purchase cost of 622. Average cost now 73p, so still underwater even with dividends included.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 23rd, 2024, 3:37 pm

daveh wrote:My first share purchase in 2000 (bar Norwich Union which I got/bought at demutualisation as I had an investment policy with them) when I set up my first broker account. Purchase cost of 622. Average cost now 73p, so still underwater even with dividends included.

Wasn't there a share split, like at Natwest/ RBS? Or am I misremembering things?

MDW1954

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 23rd, 2024, 3:57 pm

MDW1954 wrote:
daveh wrote:My first share purchase in 2000 (bar Norwich Union which I got/bought at demutualisation as I had an investment policy with them) when I set up my first broker account. Purchase cost of 622. Average cost now 73p, so still underwater even with dividends included.

Wasn't there a share split, like at Natwest/ RBS? Or am I misremembering things?

MDW1954

Before my time but..

Nov 2009 - 1.34 for 1 Rights Issue
May 2009 - 1 for 40 Bonus Issue

source https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ?epic=LLOY

The DividendData link states the two events (the RI and Bonus Issue) in 2009 but their records only go back as far as 2000. I was ruminating along similar lines in my earlier post when I asked about the number of Ordinaries on the companies board viewtopic.php?p=648737#p648737 . The Lloyds Investors page only goes back to 2009.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » February 23rd, 2024, 4:40 pm

monabri wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:

MDW1954

Before my time but..

Nov 2009 - 1.34 for 1 Rights Issue
May 2009 - 1 for 40 Bonus Issue

source https://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend ... ?epic=LLOY

The DividendData link states the two events (the RI and Bonus Issue) in 2009 but their records only go back as far as 2000. I was ruminating along similar lines in my earlier post when I asked about the number of Ordinaries on the companies board viewtopic.php?p=648737#p648737 . The Lloyds Investors page only goes back to 2009.

I've owned since 2000 no splits or consolidations. Just the two events mentioned by Monabari
11May09 1:40 capitalisation issue (in lieu of the dividend if memory serves)
11Nov09 rights issue which I took up - it looks like quite a big dilution as it looks like I took up ~1.4 rights for every existing share.

The rights issue increased the number of shares by 1.4X. I think this is when the Government gained its holding as it underwrote the rights issue taking up any rights not bought by existing shareholders. I seem to recall that the rights had no value if allowed to lapse because but I may be misremembering as why would I have taken up the rights if it was cheaper to buy in the market?

Just looked up the 2006 annual report. EPS 49.9p # shares in issue 5667m
https://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/asse ... report.pdf

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 23rd, 2024, 5:41 pm

viewtopic.php?p=648801#p648801

I've found the answer to my question ...the number of Lloyds Bank Group shares has increased by a factor of ~11 times since 2006.

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 23rd, 2024, 9:50 pm

OK folks. Apologies for misremembering, but it looks like we have our answer.

Thanks, everyone.

MDW1954

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » February 23rd, 2024, 10:34 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=648801#p648801

I've found the answer to my question ...the number of Lloyds Bank Group shares has increased by a factor of ~11 times since 2006.

Which certainly explains in large part the low share price. :( In absolute terms, Lloyds is making significantly more pre-tax profit than it did in 2006. The issue is the huge dilution, which means it is unlikely (if not impossible) for people buying at the levels seen in the late 1990s or early 2000s to even break even on a nominal basis.

Barclays has recently been reducing its share count with buybacks and this is set to continue. I suspect they have a good chance of getting the share count down to pre-2013 rights issue levels, but it will take much more effort and time to get back to 2007 levels. From memory, the share count almost doubled between 2007 and 2013. They did not suffer the same degree of dilution as Lloyds.

Best wishes

Mark.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 23rd, 2024, 10:49 pm

monabri wrote:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=648801#p648801

That is associated with the rescue of HBS IN 2008. If you look also, when LLOY-TSB amalgamated, for legal reasons TSB was the continuing body as I recall, and the number of shares held by former LLOY shareholders changed. I'm not at my desk, so cannot give chapter and verse. I've been a shareholder since 1988.

TJH

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » February 24th, 2024, 7:43 am

tjh290633 wrote: I've been a shareholder since 1988.

TJH

My condolences.

Best wishes

Mark

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 24th, 2024, 10:13 am

ADrunkenMarcus wrote:
tjh290633 wrote: I've been a shareholder since 1988.

TJH

My condolences.

Best wishes

Mark

No need. My average cost is in the low 50s. Hopefully I may be back in profit before long. Meanwhile the dividend is very acceptable.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”