Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Looking ahead to the new tax year

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Re: Looking ahead to the new tax year

Postby idpickering » March 31st, 2017, 1:51 pm

ap8889 wrote:Having made the very best of my tax wrappers in 2016-17, I now find myself sat on cash in preparation for April 6th and the dawning of a new year, tax wise.

When the ISA and SIPP opportunities open again, what HYP shares are Fools hoping to snap up?

I don't know about "snapping up", as my HYP just continues to be added to on a monthly basis. Either way, my next purchase should be my topping up my Admiral Group holdings on 22 Apr. Thereafter it may be United Utilities in May, then Royal Mail Group in Jun. I have freed up some money from elsewhere and will be increasing my HYP value by about 16% in monies invested terms soon. At that point Greene KIng and Standard Life may join the throng, making it a 28 share HYP. I think that's enough for now.

Regards,

Ian.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » March 31st, 2017, 2:56 pm

Hi all,
I am in the same position, and have a rather cheeky and very specific request to make.........

In Dec of 2015, Gengulplus created a fantastic post entitled "Gengulplus HYP selection Dec 15" where he explained the next stage of share selection:#
"This post does the next stage of the UHYP15 selection process, namely choosing the best share of those found in each sector by the filtering and "black-marking" stages I did earlier in the thread."

This strongly influenced my thinking and purchases over the next few months, and I wonder, Gengulplus, if you have any plans to do a repeat of this any time soon?
pretty please

tuk020

Mentallurgist

Postby Mentallurgist » March 31st, 2017, 3:13 pm

For me it will be top-ups of Galliford Try (GFRD), Aberdeen Asset Management (ADN) and potentially Carillion (CLLN). I'm in two minds about CLLN, so it may change to bringing Green King (GNK) onboard. My HYP is currently 18 shares .

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » March 31st, 2017, 3:25 pm

I hold all of the following (and probably as many I wouldn't consider) and would be happy topping any up, but please DYOR:

Ashmore
British Land
BP
Carillion
Glaxo Smithkline
Greene King
HSBC
IG Group
Imperial Brands
National Grid
Provident Financial
Rio Tinto
Royal Dutch Shell
SSE
TP ICAP
Vodafone

Best of luck

MAD

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 31st, 2017, 3:59 pm

My only early April payer is Barclays, which isn't a HYP share (is it?) - 5th April next div
My RSA prefs also cough up on 1st April or thereabouts

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » March 31st, 2017, 4:22 pm

Snorvey wrote:To save me checking, I'm due a couple of divs today (Imperial Tabs and BP I think).

I don't recall ever having received any dividends between now and the end of the tax yeat - is that the case for you all as well?

It's just that tomorow's looking a bit wet and tying up some figures now would be a pleasant* way to while away an hour or two. (*it's pleasant because I know the numbers are pretty good for this year :)

Yes I've received both IMB and BP. today (as well as HICL).

Enjoy a pleasant hour or two.

MAD

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 31st, 2017, 4:43 pm

tomorow's looking a bit wet and tying up some figures now would be a pleasant* way to while away an hour or two

Is it just me or can anyone else hear the refrain

# "In the bank, large amounts" & "I'm reviewing the situation" from the musical Oliver? :lol:

.......... I'll get my coat!

Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Postby Minesadouble » March 31st, 2017, 5:53 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Minesadouble wrote:
Snorvey wrote:To save me checking, I'm due a couple of divs today (Imperial Tabs and BP I think).

I don't recall ever having received any dividends between now and the end of the tax yeat - is that the case for you all as well?

It's just that tomorow's looking a bit wet and tying up some figures now would be a pleasant* way to while away an hour or two. (*it's pleasant because I know the numbers are pretty good for this year :)

Yes I've received both IMB and BP. today (as well as HICL).

Enjoy a pleasant hour or two.

MAD

I will ta.

Also, Perpetual, F&C and Invesco income IT's all coughed up today as well.

I banked Witan too, so its drinks all round!

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » March 31st, 2017, 7:02 pm

I'm waiting for 6th April too! Top-ups only: Shell (RDSB) and Green King (GNK).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 31st, 2017, 7:10 pm

I'm holding fire for a (possible) dip in the SP of Rio Tinto and Billinton. Fingers crossed!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 31st, 2017, 10:35 pm

Billinton
aka BHP Billiton! :oops:

And a few shares in Rio "TinTin" !

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 1st, 2017, 2:21 am

TUK020 wrote:This strongly influenced my thinking and purchases over the next few months, and I wonder, Gengulplus, if you have any plans to do a repeat of this any time soon?

I do intend to repeat the exercise - indeed, December 2015 was the third time I'd done it, the previous two having been in November 2013 and November 2014, and there was a previous fairly similar thing I did in August 2011 - see https://web.archive.org/web/20161114200613/http://boards.fool.co.uk/quotlump-sum-all-at-oncequot-hyp-constructio-12338601.aspx?sort=whole.

And I did intend to repeat it November/December last year - but TMF's board closure disrupted that completely. Not just the fact that TLF took some time to be set up and get the posting facilities needed (decent tables and polls chief among them) and the need to learn how to use the table facilities well and adapt my spreadsheets to use them, but also the fact that I wanted to track down and archive as much of the past work about my demo portfolios and some other stuff as possible.

And there have been many other things I've needed to get done and that have had to take priority over producing UHYP16... Furthermore, producing a UHYPnn is quite a large burst of concentrated work and it all needs to be done over a fairly short period of time to ensure that the data it's based on are still reasonably up-to-date at the end of the process. So it's not just a matter of finding enough time, but the right kind of time - lots of time over a short period and I've got to be reasonably fresh for it - otherwise I just fall asleep!

Anyway, just at the moment I've got my CGT planning and another tax matter to complete before the end of the tax year, two other personal matters demanding my time fairly urgently and GDHYP is due for another 'full procedure' purchase in the next week or two. So realistically constructing UHYP16 is not going to happen any time soon - sorry!

On the actual subject of this thread, what I'm planning to do with the upcoming 2017/2018 ISA allowance is basically some CGT planning to mitigate the effects of some huge capital gains I've realised this tax year (in the non-HYP part of my investments). It involves some full-sale tinkering of holdings that I was very close to tinkering anyway - the CGT savings tip the balance on deciding to actually tinker them - plus some bed-and-ISA/SIPPing using cash already in my ISAs and SIPP from dividends, etc, plus some bed-and-delayed-ISAing, selling this tax year for the CGT effects but subscribing to the ISA and repurchasing next tax year because that's my first chance to subscribe (I subscribed the 2016/2017 ISA allowance almost a year ago). That last does involve risking a day or two of market movements, which is less than ideal compared with the few minutes that an immediate bed-and-ISA risks, but much better than the 31 days required to do it without an ISA...

Full details of exactly what I'm doing are highly specific to me and my investments, so are unlikely to be relevant to anyone else, and in any case, they would take too long to write down for it to be worthwhile even if there are a few to whom they're relevant. But in broad outline, it involved identifying the most cost-effective candidates for capital-loss-realising sales, which generally involves having a high percentage loss and low bid/offer spread. Tesco was the best of my HYP shares for that - I had about a 50% loss on it, and like most HYP shares it's a large-cap with a decently small bid/offer spread - and I identified a couple of extra candidates among my HYP shares and a couple mong my non-HYP shares

Then I looked at how badly I wanted to keep them on investment grounds: ones that were borderline for being kept at all were tipped over the edge into being tinkered away completely, ones that I thought I wanted to keep became bed-and-ISA candidates (Tesco was a "tinker away completely" case, not helped by the fact that the Supermarkets sector (in my sector classification) was mildly overweight in my HYP). And then it was a matter of working out details of actual sales, amounts of cash, etc, followed by actually doing the sales, and the buys in the case of immediate bed-and-ISA candidates.

The issue that I'm left with is that the sales proceeds outside the ISA are quite a lot more than are needed to fund the ISA subscription - so my problem is what to buy with them outside the ISA, not inside! It will probably end up being some top-ups within the HYP (I haven't seen any new HYP shares I want in a quick look around the market), and a combination of a new share or two outside the HYP (I've found one so far) with keeping some powder dry in case I find more.

Gengulphus

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 1st, 2017, 7:01 am

monabri wrote:
Billinton
aka BHP Billiton! :oops:

And a few shares in Rio "TinTin" !

Didn't Rio and BLT just cut dividends?
I've currently the cash waiting for ISA and SIPP openings next week and I have shortlisted a few ideas for my top ups and I'll probably do the work next weekend.

ian56
Lemon Pip

Postby ian56 » April 1st, 2017, 7:44 am

Pennon Group (PNN) pay out their interim on 4th April.

http://www.pennon-group.co.uk/dividends

Ian

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » April 1st, 2017, 8:16 am

Gengulphus wrote:
TUK020 wrote: So realistically constructing UHYP16 is not going to happen any time soon - sorry!

Gengulphus

Thanks for th consideration and polite reply to an unfounded request
tuk020

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 1st, 2017, 8:43 am

I am looking at

BP
RDSB
SL
LG

I am tempted by Vod - but I'm already overweight (and underwater!) in this share- and BT.A looks cheap after the price fall last week.

Does anybody know why property shares increased on Friday? I was about to buy BLND then held back.

Anybody looking to buy Lloyds Bank shares?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 1st, 2017, 8:49 am

handy for dividend dates and details http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend- ... ldividends

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 1st, 2017, 8:56 am

kempiejon wrote:

handy for dividend dates and details http://www.dividenddata.co.uk/dividend- ... ldividends

Thank you - very helpful site

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 1st, 2017, 11:48 am

Kempiejon - Didn't Rio and BLT just cut dividends

I'm waiting for a share price dip and I'm thinking long long term hold and additional diversification.

Piccadilly - Does anybody know why property shares increased on Friday? I was about to buy BLND then held back.

BLND went XD on Thursday 30th March and the share price dropped from 602p (approx) to 587p (approx) on going XD. The price recovered the next day.

I think I will wait until the next BLND XD and hopefully we will see a similar drop & recovery!

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » April 1st, 2017, 12:41 pm

ap8889 wrote:Having made the very best of my tax wrappers in 2016-17, I now find myself sat on cash in preparation for April 6th and the dawning of a new year, tax wise.

When the ISA and SIPP opportunities open again, what HYP shares are Fools hoping to snap up?

I have the 20K ready, but I'm not going to be in any rush. Being fully built, I shall probably just top up rather than buy a new holding. Serious candidates include AZN, GSK and RDSB, being mildly underweight in all three.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”