Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Haleon finals

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Haleon finals

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2024, 6:50 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:To me just ignoring a share is a failure to take a decision, to either keep or dispose of it. I took a decision to dispose of Haleon, it was too small to be worth bothering with in the context of my portfolio.

Sorry, but who is ignoring Haleon? We've nothing but discuss it :lol: Not selling it after consideration of it from time to time is making a decision: just not one you agree with. What it isn't, is ignoring it.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Grumpsimus wrote:Unfortunately all of us, including myself at times, all to often take the do nothing option. We are are all human!

One could argue that the essence of HYP is doing nothing. The whole premise put forward was that doing nothing was better than trading in and out. If that doesn't suit you, don't run a HYP.
Further note that this isn't the board to discuss whether or not HYP is the best thing since sliced bread: that is what the HY board is for.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 10th, 2024, 7:47 pm

Back to the OP
micrographia wrote:You wouldn't buy them for your HYP and you would get more income if you sold and bought a genuine HYP candidate instead, but given the size of the holding in the context of my portfolio I'm happy enough to hold on to them while we see how the divi grows from here. They are a big beast - £30bn market cap.

EEM

Quite.
moorfield wrote:Lest we forget HYP1 continues to hold Haleon which contributed 0.2% of overall income last year.

I think this thread well illustrates what has become a lost HYP art over the years, that of sitting on one hands. It seems to me the reason that theme has largely been abandoned boils down to folk here either thinking they know better, or having a bad case of dontjuststandtheredosomethinganythingitis. HYP wasn't aimed at them. I suggest Arb is suffering from the latter, am I being unreasonable?

Perhaps Arb shouldn't have been the subject, after all he wasn't the first to moot doing something.

For me HYP isn't about selling, that's what attracted me to it. I like that I don't need to make that decision. Clearly plenty of HYPers do so it is discussed here and from this boards guidelines
It is acknowledged that individual HYP investors may from time to time see the need to sell individual HYP stocks, perhaps in response to adverse performance, portfolio imbalance, or a corporate action, e.g. takeover. It is further acknowledged that it would be unrealistic to rule that discussion of such actions is outside the board’s remit. It is also acknowledged that it may be rational to "top slice" an overweight low-yield share and consequently, following normal HYP practice, reinvest the proceeds in a higher yielding share, thereby automatically ratcheting a portfolio's income up above the natural growth rate. It is stressed, however, that HYP investing was always intended to be a LTBH strategy.

And in respect of doing nothing there Arbs anecdotal evidence of frying pans and fires and generally no better nor worse and the perhaps apocryphal story
From an analysis of client portfolios between 2003 and 2013, Fidelity found that their best investors were those who never touched their shares. But these weren’t investors with nerves of steel or those that somehow managed to pick winning shares from the outset. Fidelity’s most successful investors were already dead.

We see TJH has already bought his holding up to a decent weight. A bit low yield for some purists here...

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » March 10th, 2024, 9:51 pm

I nearly posted a few days back. I'll do so now.

I bought 1,553 shares of HLN at 259p on August 15th, 2022.

It was always intended as a long-term thing: before paying a HYP-ish dividend, they'd have to eat the debt elephant with which they'd been saddled. On the plus side, a clutch of world-class brands and some decent pricing strength.

Debt progress has been much faster than I'd hoped for; the recently-announced buyback is more good news.

I'm up 27% in capital terms, and banking a modest income. I'm not unhappy.

MDW1954

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 11th, 2024, 8:16 am

MDW1954 wrote:I nearly posted a few days back. I'll do so now.

It was always intended as a long-term thing: before paying a HYP-ish dividend, they'd have to eat the debt elephant with which they'd been saddled. On the plus side, a clutch of world-class brands and some decent pricing strength.

Debt progress has been much faster than I'd hoped for; the recently-announced buyback is more good news.

MDW1954

Wow - that was a lucky shot or very inspired. There was around a period of a month when you could have done that - since the rise in price on which you hitched a rise, the share price has done nothing much.
Well done.
Arb.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 11th, 2024, 9:17 am

Arborbridge wrote:
MDW1954 wrote:I nearly posted a few days back. I'll do so now.

MDW1954

Wow - that was a lucky shot or very inspired. There was around a period of a month when you could have done that - since the rise in price on which you hitched a rise, the share price has done nothing much.
Well done.
Arb.

I'm not so sure I'm not usually lucky and I'm sitting on a 53% gain on my Haleon shares. Theoretically according to my records they opened at 330p which was the price used to calculate the split between GSK and Haleon. My shares from GSK in the GIA have an original cost of 218.78p The ones from GSK in the ISA 305p and the ones I bought to start increasing the holding to a reasonable size at a random date shortly after the divestment (September 22) were 244p. So even the ones I picked up to increase the holding size are sitting at a reasonable gain.

We do seem to have produced a lot of waffle (onto p3) about what to do with a not very high yielding (at the moment) share. Though my reasoning for keeping it and bringing it up towards a decent sized holding is much the same as Malcolm.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 11th, 2024, 9:59 am

daveh wrote:I'm not so sure I'm not usually lucky and I'm sitting on a 53% gain on my Haleon shares. Theoretically according to my records they opened at 330p which was the price used to calculate the split between GSK and Haleon. My shares from GSK in the GIA have an original cost of 218.78p The ones from GSK in the ISA 305p and the ones I bought to start increasing the holding to a reasonable size at a random date shortly after the divestment (September 22) were 244p. So even the ones I picked up to increase the holding size are sitting at a reasonable gain.

We do seem to have produced a lot of waffle (onto p3) about what to do with a not very high yielding (at the moment) share. Though my reasoning for keeping it and bringing it up towards a decent sized holding is much the same as Malcolm.

It all gets a bit muddled with these spin offs, but for some reason I have the price I acquired them at 261p, so I'm showing a gain of around 25% (if that was a true starting price).
What I really was pointing out was that there was a fairly small window for picking up a subsequent gain when buying more - and since then they've reached a plateau. Current price is 328p so not much different to the 330p you give as the opening price.

Eventually, I will have to decide whether to back 'em, or sack 'em, but there's no hurry.

Arb.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 11th, 2024, 10:05 am

Arborbridge wrote:Eventually, I will have to decide whether to back 'em, or sack 'em, but there's no hurry.

I know you'd chose to so and a lot has been said, but one doesn't really have to do anything.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”