Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dunelm

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Dunelm

Postby kempiejon » March 13th, 2024, 10:57 am

Not keen on the ambiguous spelling but I like the way they offer me rising income.
I investigated this share about 10 years ago, I was keen at the time on prolific dividend growth records with good yield and DNLM were going up over 20% year on year and giving out specials too.
I added in early 2014 for a 20p annual income payment and again Jan 2015, since then I have ignored the holding. Looking at them again today I see those regularish specials have been on and off over the time, share price and yield have bounced around a bit. That 20% dividend growth that turned me on to them has halved to 10%, the specials have a 4 year run.

Lucky old Dunelm are the recipient of an extra chunk of funds I find available.

Those that don't recognise the name and I don't think they come up as HYP often, they're a homewares/soft furnishing business. The founders' family still have a large stake and since starting as a Leicester market store in 1979 they're billionaires with the son deputy chairman.
In 2014 I hadn't heard of them, their retail presence has picked up in the decade, I see them on the telly and there's a superstore 2 towns across. Turnover has doubled as has profit. Covid stalled the dividend but it has come back since then repaying the missed income in specials and I'm on target for 45p of regular dividends this year with a 35p special. 6.7% yield including specials.

https://corporate.dunelm.com/investors/ ... entations/

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dunelm

Postby stevensfo » March 14th, 2024, 11:48 am

kempiejon wrote:Not keen on the ambiguous spelling but I like the way they offer me rising income.
I investigated this share about 10 years ago, I was keen at the time on prolific dividend growth records with good yield and DNLM were going up over 20% year on year and giving out specials too.
I added in early 2014 for a 20p annual income payment and again Jan 2015, since then I have ignored the holding. Looking at them again today I see those regularish specials have been on and off over the time, share price and yield have bounced around a bit. That 20% dividend growth that turned me on to them has halved to 10%, the specials have a 4 year run.

Lucky old Dunelm are the recipient of an extra chunk of funds I find available.

Those that don't recognise the name and I don't think they come up as HYP often, they're a homewares/soft furnishing business. The founders' family still have a large stake and since starting as a Leicester market store in 1979 they're billionaires with the son deputy chairman.
In 2014 I hadn't heard of them, their retail presence has picked up in the decade, I see them on the telly and there's a superstore 2 towns across. Turnover has doubled as has profit. Covid stalled the dividend but it has come back since then repaying the missed income in specials and I'm on target for 45p of regular dividends this year with a 35p special. 6.7% yield including specials.

https://corporate.dunelm.com/investors/ ... entations/

Are they not called Dunhelm? There's a store in Huntingdon that we all know since it's the 'go-to' place for students going to uni, and we've had two get fitted out there. Bedclothes, towels, kitchen stuff etc. Funny how most of the kitchen stuff evaporates during the year, thus requiring another visit. :evil:

It was also the place that someone mentioned where they wanted an email address at the till. Never experienced this myself, and not sure how 'politely' I would react. ;) But yes, it's a great place and very, very popular.

Steve

PS Still haven't understood what 'togs' are when buying a quilt.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » March 14th, 2024, 11:57 am

Thanks. Dunelm sounds interesting.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 14th, 2024, 12:27 pm

Sorry, yes, it's Dunelm. :oops:

An there's me finkin I woz a gud speler at skool. ;)

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » March 14th, 2024, 12:36 pm

They’ve been around a long time, the store near my parents must’ve been there ~20+ years; long before they went public. It was one of my old mum’s go-to places for towels, bedding and the like: Egyptian cotton, hotel quality. I still have some.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » March 14th, 2024, 1:33 pm

kempiejon wrote:Those that don't recognise the name and I don't think they come up as HYP often, they're a homewares/soft furnishing business.

It's a share where the market price fluctuates quite a lot so that when at one of its lows the dividend is high enough to bring it into HYP territory. The share price usually then recovers thus reducing the dividend yield.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”