Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dynamite Fishing in the Danger Zone - Laird

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
grimer
2 Lemon pips

Dynamite Fishing in the Danger Zone - Laird

Postby grimer » November 15th, 2016, 9:33 pm

The yield on Laird is currently topping 9.8%.
Dividend cover is apparently 1.6.

http://markets.ft.com/data/equities/tearsheet/summary?s=LRD:LSE

They've issued a profit warning and the share price has halved in the past month. IC has downgraded their rating from 'Buy' to 'Hold'.

I know this will be flashing nuclear on Luni's risk scale, but we have seen a couple of companies pull things back from these yields - RDSB & BP. We've also seen BLT and RIO succumb to market realities.

Any thoughts? Has anybody been tempted or taken the plunge? Are we at a stage where a dividend 're-basing' (e.g. halved) would still leave a decent dividend?

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Re: Dynamite Fishing in the Danger Zone - Laird

Postby toofast2live » November 15th, 2016, 10:21 pm

Sold out! I've been caught out too many times by "multiple profit warning" syndrome, especially in the tech space.

Of course, whether my purchase with the sales proceeds delivers more income has yet to be seen. FWIW the proceeds went into LGEN, about a month ago.

OTOH I held on to BHP and AMEC Foster Wheeler because I saw them as good companies in deeply depressed industries. Does that make sense? Probably not.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 16th, 2016, 8:22 am

the lesson for me is if tempted by these good yielding good sounding high tech outfits ,

take only a small position - ie diversify more ..

fireblade909

Postby fireblade909 » November 16th, 2016, 8:20 pm

I have held LRD in the past and couldn't resist taking half a holding, partly because the consolidation in this space will easily push the SP of this US based outfit back up. apologies if these musings are OT for a HYp board

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”