Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Carillion post-mortem

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
peterh
2 Lemon pips

Re: Carillion post-mortem

Postby peterh » January 8th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Wizard wrote:And unless it is a top-up also completely off topic for this board. CLLN does not meet the yield requirement for discussion as a new purchase on this board.

Terry.

Yes, I probably agree. But by the same token neither does, for instance, Unilever.
Board Guidance wrote:If selected, such shares should have a dividend yield above the average for the FTSE100 index

However, the 'rules' are flexible to accommodate both of them:
Board Guidance wrote:Discussion of potential shares, and of shares which have been selected in the past, is acceptable on the HYP Practical Board.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 8th, 2018, 11:02 pm

peterh wrote:
Wizard wrote:And unless it is a top-up also completely off topic for this board. CLLN does not meet the yield requirement for discussion as a new purchase on this board.

Terry.

Yes, I probably agree. But by the same token neither does, for instance, Unilever.
Board Guidance wrote:If selected, such shares should have a dividend yield above the average for the FTSE100 index

However, the 'rules' are flexible to accommodate both of them:
Board Guidance wrote:Discussion of potential shares, and of shares which have been selected in the past, is acceptable on the HYP Practical Board.

I see TJH agrees with you, so I will indeed "pack it in".

Terry.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » January 9th, 2018, 8:53 am

and CLLN have just released a RNS ( www.investegate.co.uk/article.aspx?id=2 ... 3213B&fe=1 ) to say that it knows of no reason for the price increase.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2018, 9:53 am

I assume that they do not want any more accusations of encouraging a false market in their shares.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 9th, 2018, 11:12 am

Is there some stock exchange ruling that says that during normal periods (i.e. outside of reporting/trading updates) that if a company share prices increases by x% then the company has to issue a statement to explain why they believe the increase has happened? Otherwise, why spend money on an RNS announcement?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 9th, 2018, 11:48 am

monabri wrote:Is there some stock exchange ruling that says that during normal periods (i.e. outside of reporting/trading updates) that if a company share prices increases by x% then the company has to issue a statement to explain why they believe the increase has happened? Otherwise, why spend money on an RNS announcement?

I would not know but my reference was to the FCA investigation in to their problems of last summer and how they were handled. I guess they are now super sensitive to further criticism.

Dod

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » January 11th, 2018, 11:50 pm

https://www.ft.com/content/1b4ab6aa-f6f ... 4187b3017e

Senior ministers from across most of Whitehall gathered on Thursday to discuss the plight of Carillion amid fears the ailing contractor is close to collapse.

Well, game over...?

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 12th, 2018, 6:49 am

It doesn't read too positively does it - 'D' Day today perhaps.

I shall keep it in my portfolio (in name only) as a continuous warning of what can happen...here be dragons, tread with care.

Cheers, OLTB.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 12th, 2018, 6:49 am

The Pensions Regulator and Whitehall officials will hold talks on Friday about Carillion’s £580m pension deficit, Sky News learns...

...Sky News has learnt that senior civil servants from the Cabinet Office are expected to attend an emergency summit that will also include representatives from The Pensions Regulator (TPR), Pension Protection Fund (PPF), Carillion's pension trustees and an assortment of City advisers....
https://news.sky.com/story/regulators-t ... s-11203432

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2018, 7:16 am

Breelander wrote:
The Pensions Regulator and Whitehall officials will hold talks on Friday about Carillion’s £580m pension deficit, Sky News learns...

...Sky News has learnt that senior civil servants from the Cabinet Office are expected to attend an emergency summit that will also include representatives from The Pensions Regulator (TPR), Pension Protection Fund (PPF), Carillion's pension trustees and an assortment of City advisers....
https://news.sky.com/story/regulators-t ... s-11203432

That was a good link Bree, thanks. I agree with OLTB, it doesn't read well at all. I hope it works out for those that have hung in there. I certainly wouldn't lend them more money, would you?

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2018, 7:30 am

OLTB wrote:It doesn't read too positively does it - 'D' Day today perhaps.

I shall keep it in my portfolio (in name only) as a continuous warning of what can happen...here be dragons, tread with care.

Cheers, OLTB.

I think we need to find out where the other dragons are! A job for Dod the Dragon Hunter?*

I can't see CLLN surviving in a meaningful way for shareholders: it looks like this is another company which will be taken away from me by the banks. If so it will be by far the biggest loss of my whole investing days from 1986.

Arb

*that was respectfully meant, not sarcasm :)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2018, 8:54 am

Arb

The thing is Arb if it goes down (and I do not think that whatever happens there will be much left for the shareholders) it is not being taken away by the banks. They are going to lose big time. The disaster is entirely down to the incompetence of the Directors. I mean it is not as if a road bypass contract such as the Aberdeen by pass is anything new. Contractors have been building roads since well before Thomas Telford!

Reading much of the bumph on it one aspect which has not been explored is how much is down to the legacy stuff when it is was formed from the merger of three or four different contracting companies to form Carillion. A bit like the insurance companies Aviva and RSA, except that the consequences look as if they will be much more dramatic.

Anyone holding certificated shares ought to get the certificate framed, much as I did with Cable & Wireless nearly 20 years ago. It will serve as a reminder that things can go badly wrong.

Dod

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » January 12th, 2018, 9:12 am

I was all prepared to top-up Carillion with some accumulated dividends just a week or so before their disastrous announcement last July, however, having consulted you Lemons, I held off until after the trading update and thank Doris I did (thank you all!).

The lesson I shall take from it is that if a trading announcement is close, I will wait until after that event, just in case there is some negative news. I may lose a bit if the update is all spanky and shiny and full of good cheer, but I'm sure over the longer term that won't matter as much as if there's a negative update.

Cheers, OLTB.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 12th, 2018, 9:24 am

The Mail has this story as well.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ilout.html

I don't think it says anything much that hasn't been known for months as evidenced by today's relative lack of movement in the share price.

It's not government policy (yet?) to buy out PFI contracts. Does Carillion have a few?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 12th, 2018, 9:57 am

Dod101 wrote:Arb

The thing is Arb if it goes down (and I do not think that whatever happens there will be much left for the shareholders) it is not being taken away by the banks. They are going to lose big time.
Dod

Yes, they will lose, but it may be that they will have to settle for a debt for equity swap, as happened to me with SFI. That will leave the banks with the long term hope of salvaging something, but ordinary shareholders with nothing they can sell.

I'm not sure how general a lesson one can learn from these incidents. OK, I got it wrong - along with many other people - but what one should learn isn't so clear. It isn't much use to talk about culture, since none of us really know what is going on inside a company until it is too late. Carillion, on the face of it, was a reasonably large and important company with plenty of work - much of it government work, which ought to have given it some protection.

So my lessons? I'm open to offers, provided they are practical lessons and not vague ones! I'd suggest a start would be:
a) stick to the largest companies in any sector
b) avoid construction and service sectors
c) if in any doubt, decide how much one is prepared to lose and set a stop loss. At least then you know what the ultimate damage will be if the worst happens*.

If c) is distasteful to true HYPers, then one just has to hang on and take it on the nose. One's HYP will survive if it is well constructed - of that I have no doubt. Putting this episode into perspective, painful though it is, the cost will be 2.5% of portfolio capital value compared with Dec 2016**. Not nice, but not something which will stop my pension income in its tracks.

*unfortunately, most of my HYP shares are with A J Bell, and they do not have stop losses AFAIK.

** ignoring IRV, for the moment !

Arb.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 12th, 2018, 11:39 am

Arborbridge wrote:I'm not sure how general a lesson one can learn from these incidents.

Perhaps the importance of getting under the skin of the accounts. Looking at it in a simplistic manner a trading company should start to accumulate cash if it's making profits. If it's simultaneously booking increasing revenues and profits whilst running up a debt mountain, then its profits and perhaps revenues are being reported as accruals rather than cash. Accruals can be reversed.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Carillion lines up administrator in case rescue talks fail

EY is being lined up to handle a potential administration of the construction giant if refinancing talks fail, Sky News learns.

https://news.sky.com/story/carillion-li ... l-11204463

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Alaric is of course right and the emphasis needs to be on cash flow not reported profits. But forget reported dividend cover and the like. That follows on from the first point because as Carillion has shown dividend cover is only as good as the reported profits.

So I would agree that steering clear of the sector would be a good idea ( and steer clear of retailing as well at least for now, i e probably for the next few years.

The larger companies ought to give us some protection but I am not sure about a stop loss. The trouble then is that in a general market 'correction' all your shares will be affected.

Very high yields are a danger sign whatever some may say and buying in any form (topping up or seeking a new sector) any share at much more than 50% above the market average is unwise unless you are very clear what you are doing and why. Also known as 'chasing yield'.

Read the thread on Carillion highlighted earlier in this thread which I think started at the beginning of last year. Investor mistakes are there for all to see, read and take note of.

Anyway all is not yet lost (as far as I know) but I see Ian has just picked up some news from Sky.

Dod

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:Anyway all is not yet lost (as far as I know) but I see Ian has just picked up some news from Sky.

Do you mean the news Ian picked up from me (which I in turn picked up from Sky) :D

Whatever, I can't take the uncertainty any longer - this habitual 'Doris' is now out at 16.27p

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 12th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Breelander wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Anyway all is not yet lost (as far as I know) but I see Ian has just picked up some news from Sky.

Do you mean the news Ian picked up from me (which I in turn picked up from Sky) :D

Whatever, I can't take the uncertainty any longer - this habitual 'Doris' is now out at 16.27p

Hi Bree, I wasn't trying to undermine you. The story flashed up on the news so I thought it was new news. Hence my post.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”