Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Carillion post-mortem

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Carillion post-mortem

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2018, 9:41 am

Dod101 wrote:Yes I only recently bought Murray Income to replace in part London & St Lawrence (which went into voluntary liquidation!) These days nothing wrong with worthy but dull.

Dod

Some lack of excitement to look forward to!
Moderator Message:
Off topic for this board. Please desist.

TJH

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 17th, 2018, 10:03 am

Alaric wrote:There was a report which suggested that Carillion had so little money that major accounting firms refused to be appointed as administrator for fear their fees wouldn't be paid. Also it was suggested that the payout to creditors might be as little as 1p in the £ 1. It's not just the remaining shareholders who lose out but also anyone or Company that has done work for or made supplies to Carillion without yet being paid.

Yes that was on R4 this morning. They couldn't go into voluntary administration as they could not pay the accountants, so they were made to go into liquidation.

Mel

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 17th, 2018, 10:20 am

I trust the ex-CEO will not be continuing to get his pay after all. One can't help feeling sorry for the new chap who brought forward his starting date,

ZipserSir
2 Lemon pips

Postby ZipserSir » January 17th, 2018, 11:57 am

moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:This is going to look interesting on my study of "should I have sold or held?" cases :lol:

It might be more useful to look from the other end of the telescope and ask "why did I buy?". Perhaps one answer to that, as I've mused here before, is CLLN was never "big cap enough" for HYP, floating at the lower end of the FTSE350 during its dividend paying days. It's FTSE100 companies for me from here on ...

Just playing catch-up in my reading. I have not found anyone who has challenged this statement, but I don't think it it true, at least the bit about 'floating at the lower end of the FTSE350'. Moreover, I would need to be convinced that it is much less intrinsically safe investing in the FTSE 250 than in the FTSE 100. Is this really a tell for avoiding big losers?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 17th, 2018, 12:25 pm

ZipserSir wrote:
moorfield wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:This is going to look interesting on my study of "should I have sold or held?" cases :lol:

It might be more useful to look from the other end of the telescope and ask "why did I buy?". Perhaps one answer to that, as I've mused here before, is CLLN was never "big cap enough" for HYP, floating at the lower end of the FTSE350 during its dividend paying days. It's FTSE100 companies for me from here on ...

Just playing catch-up in my reading. I have not found anyone who has challenged this statement, but I don't think it it true, at least the bit about 'floating at the lower end of the FTSE350'. Moreover, I would need to be convinced that it is much less intrinsically safe investing in the FTSE 250 than in the FTSE 100. Is this really a tell for avoiding big losers?

It's certainly by no means clear, but anecdotally, I've had more failures with companies lower down the league. There's a distinction here, in my view, between HYPing and other investment regimes. Look at small cap or medium cap ITs and they clearly do very well in TR terms, but they are not using HYP Doris type ideas - they have to be cared for.
For Doris or semi Doris, I do believe big cap might be overall, over time, the way to go.

Tangentially:

I've had an email from Stockopedia suggesting red flags that could have saved me from CLLN. Pity they didn't tell me a year ago! Was anyone here "saved" due to a Stockopedia subscription? I doubt it, but there marketing is timely - they must be rubbing their hands together in anticipediation.

Arb.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2018, 12:49 pm

idpickering wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:I think the media and others are getting very excited over what is actually a pretty small and insignificant company failure. GS

Tell that to those directly involved such as the employees and their families. To them it's a disaster.

Ian.

Every company failure is a disaster to those people. So you're arguing the media should do all day coverage on the pet store closure last week in Market Drayton??

GS

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2018, 12:56 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
idpickering wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:I think the media and others are getting very excited over what is actually a pretty small and insignificant company failure. GS

Tell that to those directly involved such as the employees and their families. To them it's a disaster.

Ian.

Every company failure is a disaster to those people. So you're arguing the media should do all day coverage on the pet store closure last week in Market Drayton??

GS

No I'm not. The thread was about Carillion, and that's of whom I was talking about.

Ian.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 17th, 2018, 1:05 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

GS

Ridiculous to compare the failure of CLLN with that of a local pet store. CLLN was not a small and insignificant company and the knock on effects of its collapse will be astronomic, leaving out any personal losses.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 17th, 2018, 1:12 pm

idpickering wrote:Tell that to those directly involved such as the employees and their families. To them it's a disaster.
Ian.

Since Carillion is primarily a supplier and the customer-side demand is still there, I'd like to think this is a disruption, rather than a disaster. Certainly there will be suppliers and sub-contractors to Carillion who won't get paid, and for them this could indeed be a disaster, but if they survive then the demand that they were working on continues to exist.

Not a total disaster, but certainly a shock and a backward step to businesses that suffer losses (even if they survive). On the plus side, I think it is a wake-up call in the industry that winning work at any cost is just not sustainable.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

GS

Ridiculous to compare the failure of CLLN with that of a local pet store. CLLN was not a small and insignificant company and the knock on effects of its collapse will be astronomic, leaving out any personal losses.

The term ridiculous just about sums that comment up Bouleversee. I resisted the temptation to rise to the poster's bait.

Ian.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 17th, 2018, 1:32 pm

idpickering wrote:I resisted the temptation

Almost Ian, almost... ;)

VRD

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2018, 2:53 pm

vrdiver wrote:
idpickering wrote:I resisted the temptation

Almost Ian, almost... ;)

VRD

I'm only human. :D This thread is about Carillion
Moderator Message:
Edited text. Please keep to topics. Raptor.

Ian.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Moderator Message:
Text removed. Not in the spirit of TLF. Keep it on topic and leave personal remarks at home. Thanks in advance. Raptor.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 17th, 2018, 3:33 pm

It's now reported that the former directors who were still being paid have had their payments stopped.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... d428b0a027

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 17th, 2018, 11:35 pm

idpickering wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

The term ridiculous just about sums that comment up Bouleversee. I resisted the temptation to rise to the poster's bait.

Ian.

Surely the point here is that when anyone loses their job, whether from a larger listed company or a local shop, it is personally very distressing. The difference is the number of people that this may effect compared to a local shop closing, but that is a matter of the aggregate economic impact, not the individual implications*. So I think there is merit in significant reporting of Carillion, but that reason is not individual implications, but rather the aggregate impact. I think GS' point was that he felt that aggregate economic impact was not great enough to justify the amount of reporting. Others may of course agree or disagree with that position.

Terry.

* Unless of course we get very philosophical and start considering the sum of human happiness, but that is just a bit OT here.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » January 18th, 2018, 12:35 am

OLTB wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:
vrdiver wrote:From an RBS shareholder perspective, the difference between total wipeout and what we were left with was negligible.

Yep, it didn't do much for you as shareholder. But it did preserve contractual obligations - like Sir Fred's pension - in full. In sharp contrast to the era of market forces when the likes of BCCI and Barings went down.

Do you know, I had never even considered that, but you're right! (I know you know you're right :) ). If RBS had been left to disappear, then, had the pension scheme been transferred to the Pension Protection Fund, pension income would be limited to £34,655 (just looked it up).

Cheers, OLTB.

Fred Goodwin wasn't a member of the RBS DB scheme he had a FURBS (Funded unapproved retirement benefits scheme).
This scheme wasn't an approved scheme so he didn't need to comply with Annual allowance limits on contributions or the Lifetime allowance. An approved scheme wouldn't have allowed him to build up a pension capable of paying £700,000 per year.
Hence if RBS had collapsed his scheme wouldn't have been transferred to the PPF.
I'd suspect though that he would have been fine since his pension was almost certainly fully funded, in his own name and ring fenced from any RBS creditors.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-1670396/FURBS-Funded-unapproved-retirement-benefits-scheme.html

I'd also suspect that Carillion's directors have similar large unapproved pension schemes.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 18th, 2018, 2:34 am

I took a look at the 2016 Accounts
http://annualreport2016.carillionplc.co ... ements.pdf

There's a major asset as "goodwill" at £ 1544 million.

That's often where accounting fictions lurk. Goodwill can disappear in a flash.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 18th, 2018, 8:45 am

Bouleversee wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Ian.

GS

I didn't make the comparison, Ian did when he wrote "Tell that to those directly involved such as the employees and their families. To them it's a disaster." I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of his argument and how it fails to negate my point that the media and others, especially shareholders, are altogether too excuted about this small company failure. In six months time it'll be completely forgotten.

GS

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 18th, 2018, 8:56 am

GoSeigen wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:

GS

I didn't make the comparison, Ian did when he wrote "Tell that to those directly involved such as the employees and their families. To them it's a disaster." I was merely pointing out the ridiculousness of his argument and how it fails to negate my point that the media and others, especially shareholders, are altogether too excuted about this small company failure. In six months time it'll be completely forgotten.

GS

Fair enough. Let's move on.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 18th, 2018, 10:31 am

Moderator Message:
At 20 pages, this discussion has gone on for too long and is drifting wildly off topic.

I am locking it now.

TJH

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”