Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Greene King trading update

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Greene King trading update

Postby tjh290633 » October 7th, 2017, 3:25 pm

OLTB wrote:I am contemplating my next purchase from accumulated dividends and it seems that in spite of my previous top-up mentioned above, GNK is once again in pole position! Now, I am thinking once Carillioned twice shy, and may ignore this and go for the second or third in the queue (Vodafone / Glaxo respectively). Waiting until GNK's trading update at the end of November seems prudent. Vodafone and Glaxo have their issues (Vodafone's P/E seems to make it expensive at nearly 30 and Glaxo has a fairly static dividend policy will either not grow in the short term or even fall if Emma Walmsley isn't happy where the cover figure is - not very HYP). They are, however, larger cap than GNK which gives me a little more comfort! Not very SI is it :?

Cheers, OLTB.

There is no rule that says the top-up ranking has to be obeyed. It's not unusual for the same share to be top of the rankings when you are next ready to act, and a falling share price can have this effect. This is one reason why I put a limit on share of cost, to avoid sinking too much cash in one share.

If you know that results are coming soon, that can be an argument for either delay or acceleration, depending on your views of how the results might go. Picking the second or even the third choice is not a hanging offence. SI does not require that you stick your head in the sand.

TJH

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » October 7th, 2017, 3:45 pm

tjh290633 wrote:SI does not require that you stick your head in the sand.

Yes - it's more a matter of knowing that you're in a sandstorm and cannot see all that far ahead!

Gengulphus

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » October 7th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Thanks Terry and Gengulphus - it'll definitely be VOD or GSK this time (probably VOD as yield is higher).

Cheers, OLTB.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 7th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Hi OLTB

As I know you have access to SWS*, It might be worth a side by side comparison of VOD and GSK.

For me it would be a top up of VOD based on the "health snowflake", "Future performance" and the comparative dividend (and the fact that in my HYP, GSK =4.2%HYP whilst VOD=2.2%HYP)

monabri

*SWS = Simply Wall St. analysis tool (free for a limited number for look ups per month or subscription - I've taken out a one year subscription).

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » October 7th, 2017, 8:11 pm

monabri wrote:Hi OLTB

As I know you have access to SWS*, It might be worth a side by side comparison of VOD and GSK.

For me it would be a top up of VOD based on the "health snowflake", "Future performance" and the comparative dividend (and the fact that in my HYP, GSK =4.2%HYP whilst VOD=2.2%HYP)

monabri

*SWS = Simply Wall St. analysis tool (free for a limited number for look ups per month or subscription - I've taken out a one year subscription).

Thanks monabri - yes, my Carillion snowflake looks like it's been in a car crash and haemorrhaging badly.

Cheers, OLTB.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » October 10th, 2017, 8:45 pm

It's funny what you can find when reading the business section of The Times of India...

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 021985.cms

Here, Nick Train blames the takeover of Spirit Group for Greene King's recent woes. Perhaps this is the reason for the opposite directions that the share prices of Greene King and Marstons have taken recently - although I note that Greene King's share price improved today (possibly simply piggy-backing on Marston's update).

Cheers, OLTB.

cat5

Postby cat5 » January 12th, 2018, 12:20 pm

ayshfm1 wrote:My wife accidentally owns a sizable chunk for her of GKN. I didn't realise my fat finger typing until the dividend rocked up. I have elected to do nothing about the error! But mentally noted I need to check what I'm buying properly in future.

You're not alone! A lesson learned the hard way, as I watched GKN gradually sink while offering a mediocre div. And having then also bought GNK and watched that sink too, I've felt a double whammy!

But \o/ hurrah, with today's GKN news I'm out, and with a very handsome profit! :)

Now if someone can give me some good news about GNK as well...

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”