Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Imperial Brands Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Imperial Brands Trading Statement

Postby richfool » September 29th, 2017, 9:20 am

Dodd, my thinking is not just from an ethical point of view, as I said in the IT thread:
I avoid tobacco stocks both from the ethical point of view and also from the perspective that I see them having a declining future as the world becomes more educated and disciminatory about the adverse effects of smoking. Therefore I don't see them having a prosperous future.
and in this thread above:
Tobacco stocks may have been a long term darling of HYP'ers, but ultimately I cannot see a long term future for tobacco or thus tobacco stocks. (IMHO) Eventually the effects health education worldwide and other actions by governments will win through and markets & customer demand will dry up. I obviously don't know how long that will take and there maybe some more mileage in them yet......

And yes I generally try and avoid any stocks or sector which I think has a limited future (ethical or not). I think long term, LTBH. (I am happy to hold NG and water companies in the utility sector).

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 29th, 2017, 9:44 am

Sorry, dspp I didn't mean to tip the thread over onto another page and thus hide your informed post from view. I have therefore taken the liberty of requoting it here on the new page.

Your thoughts are similar to mine, in that I think the trend is turning. I note a number of fund managers have exited, though that is primarily from the perspective that they see tobacco shares fully valued, which I appreciate is not a HYP consideration.
dspp wrote:I hold Imperial and BATS, so have no moral stance on this sector. However it is sensible to bear in mind the facts regarding the global long term trends in the tobacco area. I did some very brief checks on this a while back and have previously posted my observations (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=567&p=15972&hilit=peak+tobacco#p15938) , which I will repost here in the hope that someone has better quality global-scale facts to offer. Not local scale, nor anecdote, but facts.

The result is that we could be at 'peak tobacco' both in production & consumption terms (as after all they must balance). Take a look at these links

https://www.statista.com/statistics/279 ... ince-1880/ (stick consumption 1880-2014)
http://www.tobaccoreporter.com/2016/05/balancing-act-3/ (tobacco production 2012-2016)
http://www.tobaccoleaf.org/Userfiles/Fi ... GA-eng.pdf (interesting spin)

If I am reading this correctly peak tobacco was 2009 and the trend is down now despite global population continuing to increase. This has the same implications for tobacco as I pose for oil in my watching out for effects of peak oil, and likely over similar decadal timescales. However I am seeing much less discussion about tobacco (global revenues $500bn) vs oil (global revenues $760bn - 1.2trn). It seems to me that the larger brands/companies are pursuing declining market strategies which implies they recognise this. Food for thought in my mind.

If this is correct there will be a optimal moment to exit tobacco stocks. I do not know when that is, but I am paying attention. It is both a matter of capital growth/risk and of dividend (though any purist HYPers will only be looking at half of the available information). I would be very happy to listen to anyone with better facts than I have been able to unearth.

regards, dspp

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » September 29th, 2017, 11:27 am

dspp wrote:If I am reading this correctly peak tobacco was 2009 and the trend is down now despite global population continuing to increase. This has the same implications for tobacco as I pose for oil in my watching out for effects of peak oil, and likely over similar decadal timescales. However I am seeing much less discussion about tobacco (global revenues $500bn) vs oil (global revenues $760bn - 1.2trn). It seems to me that the larger brands/companies are pursuing declining market strategies which implies they recognise this. Food for thought in my mind.

If this is correct there will be a optimal moment to exit tobacco stocks. I do not know when that is, but I am paying attention. It is both a matter of capital growth/risk and of dividend (though any purist HYPers will only be looking at half of the available information). I would be very happy to listen to anyone with better facts than I have been able to unearth.

The old maxim comes to mind that forecasting is hard, especially when it's about the future! And add to that pyad's "strategic ignorance" concept, which basically says "... and impossibly difficult when it's about the decades-long future of companies!"

I should qualify that by saying that the decades-long future of particular businesses can sometimes be forecastable, at least in broad outline - things like the horse & buggy business or more recently mechanical typewriters clearly went into near-terminal decline and weren't going to recover from it. But that's not the same issue as forecasting the decades-long future of the companies in those businesses, or what those companies will become - for example, look at what businesses the company that was eventually renamed IBM was in during its early years, in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing ... ng_Company. One can see how they evolved into the computer business the company is in today, but it's definitely not the same business as it had back then...

I'm fairly certain 'peak oil' will arrive sometime. When is very hard to tell, but I don't think it matters all that much from the point of view of the value of oil company shares, because (a) it won't arrive clearly, abruptly and unexpectedly; (b) the big oil companies are already starting to reposition themselves to be able to switch to renewable alternatives. When it gets going properly, that switchover will doubtless involve some turmoil, with some of the companies competing better in a fairly new market than others, and some will probably succumb to that competition - though I think far more likely by being taken over by the competition than by going bust - they'll have considerable valuable assets even if it requires a competitor's expertise to run them profitably. So I do see the big oil companies becoming gambles at some time in the future, but not outright losers (*). When that will happen I don't know and don't think anyone else does - it's too dependent on technical innovation about exploiting other oil sources. And if one feels the need to safeguard the big oil part of one's portfolio from those gambles when they arrive, a far simpler way that also involves far less effort is just to diversify between multiple big oil companies.

'Peak tobacco' I'm less certain about, basically because tobacco is renewable. Certainly there has been a long-lasting trend for governments to discourage tobacco use and it may well continue indefinitely - but it is basically a political fashion. Fashions can change, and with regard to tobacco have done so a fair number of times in the past... The current fashion is of course firmly based on scientific research in a way that previous fashions haven't been (**) and so I'm not saying it definitely will change - just that I'm by no means certain it won't.

But again, the big tobacco companies are already getting into the alternative of vaping, and they're well-positioned to do so: they have the brands, the distribution networks, the financial muscle to develop their own vaping products or if necessary buy out the competition before it gets too large, etc. Again, I think there will be a period of upheaval in the industry at some point, and some big tobacco companies will probably lose out. But when and which companies seems to me to be a similar issue to the one for the big oil companies: far simpler and easier to deal with by diversifying between multiple big tobacco companies than by trying to forecast the winners in that upheaval.

As the subject has come up, a brief comment about the ethics: the above does not mean that I've changed my principles about refusing to live off dividends earned in the tobacco business. As Dod indicates, there's a price I pay for those principles in terms of my HYP (***) and I pay it gladly. But as far as I'm concerned, such principles and their associated payments are personal decisions for people to decide upon for themselves, not something for me or anyone else to try to impose on their investment considerations.

(*) Not from peak oil, that is. A sufficiently bigger version of something like BP's 2010 Gulf of Mexico problem could wipe out any company, and that's one of the risks that comes with the territory of investing in big oil.

(**) Though people may well have believed they were at the time...

(***) The main one, that is. My demo HYPs are a different matter: I basically 'ring-fence' their small amounts of dividend income from my living expenses, as I consider that the principle that they should fairly represent the HYP shares on offer very important and 'ring-fencing' allows me to reconcile the two principles.

Gengulphus

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » September 29th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Gengulphus wrote:
dspp wrote:If I am reading this correctly peak tobacco was 2009 and the trend is down now despite global population continuing to increase. This has the same implications for tobacco as I pose for oil in my watching out for effects of peak oil, and likely over similar decadal timescales. However I am seeing much less discussion about tobacco (global revenues $500bn) vs oil (global revenues $760bn - 1.2trn).........

The old maxim comes to mind that forecasting is hard, especially when it's about the future! And add to that pyad's "strategic ignorance" concept, which basically says "... and impossibly difficult when it's about the decades-long future of companies!"

I should qualify that by saying that the decades-long future of particular businesses can sometimes be forecastable, at least in broad outline - things like the horse & buggy business or more recently mechanical typewriters clearly went into near-terminal decline and weren't going to recover from it. But that's not the same issue as forecasting the decades-long future of the companies in those businesses, or what those companies will become - for example, look at what businesses the company that was eventually renamed IBM was in during its early years, in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computing ... ng_Company. One can see how they evolved into the computer business the company is in today, but it's definitely not the same business as it had back then...

........'Peak tobacco' I'm less certain about, basically because tobacco is renewable. Certainly there has been a long-lasting trend for governments to discourage tobacco use and it may well continue indefinitely - but it is basically a political fashion. Fashions can change, and with regard to tobacco have done so a fair number of times in the past... The current fashion is of course firmly based on scientific research in a way that previous fashions haven't been (**) and so I'm not saying it definitely will change - just that I'm by no means certain it won't.

But again, the big tobacco companies are already getting into the alternative of vaping, and they're well-positioned to do so: they have the brands, the distribution networks, the financial muscle to develop their own vaping products or if necessary buy out the competition before it gets too large, etc. Again, I think there will be a period of upheaval in the industry at some point, and some big tobacco companies will probably lose out. But when and which companies seems to me to be a similar issue to the one for the big oil companies: far simpler and easier to deal with by diversifying between multiple big tobacco companies than by trying to forecast the winners in that upheaval.

Gengulphus

I wasn't trying to distract this thread to peak oil, so let's not go there, my error to have pasted across an analogy & scale comparison, however valid.

Most companies in most sectors seem to fail to succeed across a significant technological transition. A good read on that point is Clay Christensen, Innovator's Dilemma (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Innovator%27s_Dilemma). So whilst some do transit (and your IBM example is one), most don't. Clay's work is a pretty good stab at explaining why, and others have done more work since.

Since HYP relies on buying individual stocks then to seek to solve that by buying multiple big tobacco companies is not really a viable HYP approach. Perhaps to buy a tobacco company index fund, but would that survive a major sector close-out (I doubt it), and it is in any case not a HYP. I fully accept that anyone investing on pure HYP principles will stick on the strategic ignorance hat, but I think there are times when that is a foolish hat to wear. In the particular case of tobacco I am unsure whether the long term sustainable profit to be made from selling the global vaping market is smaller or larger than the corresponding long term sustainable profit for selling the global smoking/snuffing market. That apples-with-apples comparison needs to be understood as the first step in deciding whether the current scale of tobacco profits is sustainable if the world transits across to vaping. The second step is to decide whether the existing big tobacco are more or less likely to make that transition than new entrants. I note that old tobacco does of course buy out / buy into new entrants as part of their portfolio strategy, just as (say) Microsoft used to buy mobile phone manufacturers - and sometimes that strategy succeeds and sometimes it doesn't. The starting point is also to keep an eye on whether peak tobacco is real, and to my mind one of the biggest clues that it is likely real is the difficulty in getting serious widely available public domain data.

I hold both Imperial and BAT. I can see a time in the future when I would likely sell both. I am unsure exactly when that will be.

regards, dspp

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » September 29th, 2017, 1:19 pm

In other news, my IMB dividend arrived today, and very nice it was too. Peak tobacco or not, IMB is not exactly expensive in PE terms: it is priced for what it is: a giant cash cow that probably remain in business. Should HYPers buy it? As ever, I turn to Terry Smith and check his holdings: if Fundsmith is holding, then I want some too because it's probably not going to go bust rapidly.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 29th, 2017, 1:38 pm

Worth distinguishing between businesses and the product markets they currently operate in.

Using the analogy of 'peak oil' cited earlier, Shell started over a century ago in the business of seashells, spent most of the last century focused on Oil, and is making a major bet on LPG.

The current tobacco majors serve cigarettes and rolling tobacco, are getting into vaping. If one views their business as purveyors of recreational (albeit legal) drugs, then it is quite possible that vaping serves as a suitable delivery mechanism for other pharmaceuticals that may yet be delivered. Don't forget, it is inhaling burning vegetation that kills people, not nicotine per se.

Forecasting where BAT and IMB go in the long term is well nigh impossible, even if one can foresee 'peak cigarettes', but they are churning out cash & dividends in the meantime.

As an aside, "The Innovators Dilemma" is a very good read, and well recommended; it is focused on technology businesses, and a central premise is that existing customers command and prioritise one's R&D expenditure, leaving you to ignore disruptive slow end markets that will have explosive growth in the future. This hardly applies to Oil or Tobacco.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » September 29th, 2017, 1:40 pm

BreakoutBoy wrote:In other news, my IMB dividend arrived today, and very nice it was too. Peak tobacco or not, IMB is not exactly expensive in PE terms: it is priced for what it is: a giant cash cow that probably remain in business. Should HYPers buy it? As ever, I turn to Terry Smith and check his holdings: if Fundsmith is holding, then I want some too because it's probably not going to go bust rapidly.

You didn't tell us whether Fundsmith was holding or not. IIRC Woodford increased his fund's holding in IMB recently. It has certainly been a marvellous holding to have until recently but I'm not so sure going forward. When I was young, everyone I knew (apart from my mother) smoked but don't know anyone who smokes now. In most cases, vaping assists in giving up rather than being a long term habit. As the populations of developing countries become more educated, I should have thought their tobacco consumption would decline fairly quickly. However, no doubt the tobacco companies will have plans to diversify, as indicated by IMB's change of name, so we will have to wait and see what happens.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » September 29th, 2017, 3:58 pm

I hold IMB, and here is a bit of an anecdote:

I visited India for the first time this year, spending 2 weeks there.

In that time I did not see one person smoking! Astonishing!

I asked our guide why this was the case, and he said it is because of a concerted public health campaign.(Although they do still have a betel nut chewing addiction problem)

Looks like that's around 1.25B people who are unlikely to add to IMB's profits!

Still, very happy to see IMB continue to deliver the goods, just not sure how long it will last!

FD

BreakoutBoy
2 Lemon pips

Postby BreakoutBoy » September 29th, 2017, 4:04 pm

In my view it is politically not inconceivable that in future cannabis is widely and legally sold. The tobacco giants are quite likely to be beneficiaries if that is the case.

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » September 29th, 2017, 10:40 pm

It (their viability) obviously depends on what the L in LTBH strategy is likely to be. In my case, realistically L might equal 10/15 years? So for what it is worth, why should I worry? I am certain as I can be that Imps and BAT will still be churning out profits in 15 years time. beyond that? Who knows? Those who are worried about that are welcome to offer another HYP share where they can offer a better timescale considering the changes in the last 15 years (more or less since the new millennium, not that long ago and yet a lifetime by some measures)

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Dod1010 wrote:It (their viability) obviously depends on what the L in LTBH strategy is likely to be. In my case, realistically L might equal 10/15 years? So for what it is worth, why should I worry? I am certain as I can be that Imps and BAT will still be churning out profits in 15 years time. beyond that? Who knows? Those who are worried about that are welcome to offer another HYP share where they can offer a better timescale considering the changes in the last 15 years (more or less since the new millennium, not that long ago and yet a lifetime by some measures)

Dod

Well said Dod. I've held BATS since 15 Dec 2006, buying at 147.5p, and topped up twice since then, and have never sold, nor even contemplated doing so. IMB held since 17 Aug 2010 buying at 190.7p, topped up seven times since, and top sliced once. AS I mentioned before, these guys are truly mainstays in my HYP. And there they'll stay, as I'm not remotely concerned about them, and think they'll just keep on being the cash cow dividend machines a lot of us here enjoy holding.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2017, 12:44 pm

idpickering wrote:
Dod1010 wrote:It (their viability) obviously depends on what the L in LTBH strategy is likely to be. In my case, realistically L might equal 10/15 years? So for what it is worth, why should I worry? I am certain as I can be that Imps and BAT will still be churning out profits in 15 years time. beyond that? Who knows? Those who are worried about that are welcome to offer another HYP share where they can offer a better timescale considering the changes in the last 15 years (more or less since the new millennium, not that long ago and yet a lifetime by some measures)

Dod

Well said Dod. I've held BATS since 15 Dec 2006, buying at 147.5p, and topped up twice since then, and have never sold, nor even contemplated doing so. IMB held since 17 Aug 2010 buying at 190.7p, topped up seven times since, and top sliced once. AS I mentioned before, these guys are truly mainstays in my HYP. And there they'll stay, as I'm not remotely concerned about them, and think they'll just keep on being the cash cow dividend machines a lot of us here enjoy holding.

Ian.

Before someone else picks me up on it, I meant 1475p and 1907p respectively. :D

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » September 30th, 2017, 1:06 pm

I'd like to think I am vice-neutral, I hold the two tobacco companies but also the two pharmas, all four roughly at the same market value (although having the arms company tips the balance).

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » September 30th, 2017, 1:13 pm

JMN2 wrote:I'd like to think I am vice-neutral, I hold the two tobacco companies but also the two pharmas, all four roughly at the same market value (although having the arms company tips the balance).

Snap! You made me smile JMN2. I guess that makes me 'vice neutral' too. :D

Ian.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 30th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Apropos peak anything, it is as well to remember that 40 or so years ago people feared that peak oil was just around the corner, and we would have to revert to coal, or even wood, as a prime source of energy.

As regards the tobacco industry, I seem to recall that globally consumption of cigarettes is actually growing. Add to that vaping in its various forms is a growth field in the health conscious or hypochondriac areas. They are not going away right now.

TJH

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 1st, 2017, 8:01 pm

Just to put a placeholder down. IMB is a stock that's been on my radar for a couple of weeks. If the price remains around where it is, I might be picking up 'a chip' of it this coming week.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 1st, 2017, 8:26 pm

tjh290633 wrote:Add to that vaping in its various forms is a growth field in the health conscious or hypochondriac areas. They are not going away right now.

TJH

I don't see how the big players such as Imperial Brands can make any serious money from vaping. In the case of IMB they have Fontem Ventures but I can't for the life of me see how they can make anything more than pocket money. The market is full of hundreds of different vaporisers and supplies of 'eliquid' can be bought very cheaply is bulk quantities. I just can't see how they can obtain a competitive advantage, but I may be missing something!

RC

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 1st, 2017, 8:53 pm

According to Wiki, 20% of the World's population are smokers.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... S9_PmfvWpj

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 1st, 2017, 9:22 pm

monabri wrote:According to Wiki, 20% of the World's population are smokers...

From your Wiki link:
...and 60% in just 10 countries, a list headed by China...

So it may come as no surprise that...
...The modern e-cigarette was invented in 2003 by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette

This thread is about as far as you can get from the concept of 'Strategic Ignorance'. The crystal ball is not only being asked to predict a company's performance, but also how it's market may change in the future. I don't think anyone can realistically do that, so I'm glad that I don't have to - 'big tobacco' is an area I've personally never wanted to invest in.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 2nd, 2017, 12:27 am

Hon Lik...Ruyan...Dragonite... e- cig division bought out in 2013 by ..... Imperial.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... QE3f5HjCQy

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”