Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Imperial Brands Prelims

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Minesadouble
2 Lemon pips

Re: Imperial Brands Prelims

Postby Minesadouble » November 8th, 2017, 9:46 pm

bluedonkey wrote:"Just topped up today. IMB is now 3.2% of my portfolio. With BATS at 5.2%, that's 8.4% in tobacco stocks."
Do any HYPers think this % allocation is too high?

Personally I don’t think so.
In comparison my tobacco allocation is 8.3%.
IMB at 4.7% and BATS at 3.6%.
They are both stereotypically HYP stocks in my view.

MAD

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 8th, 2017, 10:26 pm

bluedonkey wrote:"Just topped up today. IMB is now 3.2% of my portfolio. With BATS at 5.2%, that's 8.4% in tobacco stocks."

No. It does depend to some extent on how many different holdings you have/want. I have a bit less at 7.74% (with 37 holdings). Somewhat overweight on both - and happy to stay that way. Others have more than you.

More specifically on IMT's Prelims, today's Times has an overview:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/smok ... -psxg50hlt

Extract - 'hard-pressed to find such a reliable, cash-generative business'

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2017, 5:40 am

For me, I don't think so . As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm at about 8.4% in tobacco shares, in capital value terms, in my 30 share HYP currently. In the past that level has been up to my self imposed sector maximum of 10%, and my No.1 bet. Since then, apart from a top up of IMB a few months ago, I've very much left them alone. Over time they've been overtaken by my other bets. I'm not intending adding to my tobacco holdings any time soon though.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » November 9th, 2017, 8:50 am

I like 5% / 10% / 20% limits of companies / sectors / groups of related sectors (e.g. 'financials' or 'utilities') - no real science behind that liking, they're just easy-to-remember round numbers that I'm fairly certain are in the right ballpark. So I would regard the IMB holding and the overall holding of tobacco shares as fine, but the BATS holding as marginally too big. Not by anything like enough to justify actively doing anything about it, though - it's just that I would take care not to top it up, and if it rose further, I might 'top slice' it back to 5% if it rose to 6%, and almost certainly would if it rose to 7%.

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 9th, 2017, 5:04 pm

IMB gets a good write-up in this TMF item;

Could this stock better Imperial Brands plc for growth and income?

Imperial Brands (LSE: IMB) is many people’s idea of a growth-and-income champion. This FTSE 100 tobacco group delivers reliable earnings growth, while prodigious cash generation supports a generous and increasing dividend.

Today, I’m going to look at the prospects and current valuation of the company and at another blue-chip contender for the growth-and-income crown.

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/11 ... nd-income/

Avalaugh

Postby Avalaugh » November 10th, 2017, 11:33 am

The only thing that I don't like is how non adjusted earnings are actually less than the dividends paid, I'm wondering how sustainable the divi is if books are cooked

Cheers

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”