Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

State of play - My HYP

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

State of play - My HYP

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 8:19 am

Good morning, as mentioned elsewhere, here is my HYP as of now;

Stock                           

Admiral Group
AstraZeneca
BAE Systems
BP.
BT Group
British American Tobacco
British Land
Carillion
Centrica
Diageo
GlaxoSmithKline
Greene King
HSBC
Imperial Brands
Legal & General
National Grid
Provident Finance
Rio Tinto
Shell (RDSB)
Royal Mail
SSE
Sainsbury
Standard Life
Tate & Lyle
Taylor Wimpey
United Utilities
Unilever
Vodafone

Sector Weighting
Oil & gas 9.6%
Pharmas 9.3%
Tobacco 9.0%
Utilities 8.6%
Life Insurance 7.9%
Banks 5.1%
Food producers 5.1%
Household goods 4.5%
Aero & defence 4.5%
Non Life insurance 3.8%
General finance 3.1%
Fixed tels 3.5%
Mobile tels 3.4%
Support 3.2%
Real estate 3.1%
Mining 3.1%
Food retail 3.0%
Travel & Leisure 2.7%
Electricity 2.3%
Industrial Transport 2.2%
Beverages 1.8%

Some might notice the two newbies, Standard Life and Greene KIng. Glad to have them on board. Going forward it's unlikely I'll be bringing any more new holdings on board, just topping up for the next five years maybe. We'll see.

Regards,

Ian.
Moderator Message:
Surplus "%" signs removed as requested.
TJH
Last edited by tjh290633 on April 27th, 2017, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Surplus % signs removed.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: State of play - My HYP

Postby Raptor » April 27th, 2017, 8:25 am

Nice HYP Ian, 28 shares of which I own 14. I see you say no more adding, that I take with a pinch of salt :lol: from you.....

The spread of the portfolio does look like you will be doing a bit of"re-balancing" going forward. Good to see the HYP though, thanks.

Raptor.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 8:28 am

Raptor wrote:Nice HYP Ian, 28 shares of which I own 14. I see you say no more adding, that I take with a pinch of salt :lol: from you.....

The spread of the portfolio does look like you will be doing a bit of"re-balancing" going forward. Good to see the HYP though, thanks.

Raptor.

Am I that see-through :lol: Cheers for your post and input. You're right about the rebalancing but that will be done over time and my monthly dollops of cash. A bit of a windfall allowed me to bring on the newbies.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 8:30 am

By the way guys, sorry about the untidyness regarding the percentage symbol being doubled up in places. Maybe a techie type could tidy it up? :D

piccadilly
2 Lemon pips

Postby piccadilly » April 27th, 2017, 8:51 am

idpickering wrote:Good morning, as mentioned elsewhere, here is my HYP as of now;

Stock                           

Admiral Group
AstraZeneca
BAE Systems
BP.
BT Group
British American Tobacco
British Land
Carillion
Centrica
Diageo
GlaxoSmithKline
Greene King
HSBC
Imperial Brands
Legal & General
National Grid
Provident Finance
Rio Tinto
Shell (RDSB)
Royal Mail
SSE
Sainsbury
Standard Life
Tate & Lyle
Taylor Wimpey
United Utilities
Unilever
Vodafone

Sector Weighting
Oil & gas 9.6%
Pharmas 9.3%
Tobacco 9.0%%
Utilities 8.6%%
Life Insurance 7.9%
Banks 5.1%
Food producers 5.1%
Household goods 4.5%
Aero & defence 4.5%%
Non Life insurance 3.8%
General finance 3.1%%
Fixed tels 3.5%
Mobile tels 3.4%
Support 3.2%
Real estate 3.1%
Mining 3.1%
Food retail 3.0%
Travel & Leisure 2.7%
Electricity 2.3%
Industrial Transport 2.2%
Beverages 1.8%

Some might notice the two newbies, Standard Life and Greene KIng. Glad to have them on board. Going forward it's unlikely I'll be bringing any more new holdings on board, just topping up for the next five years maybe. We'll see.

Regards,

Ian.

I have a HYP portfolio and own 18 of the shares you list above - I will publish the weightings once I found out how to post my excel spreadsheet to this forum!

I have a holding in Inmarsat bought in January - but it doesn't seem to feature in many HYP portfolios.Are you still nervous on this stock?

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 9:51 am

piccadilly wrote: quote]

I have a HYP portfolio and own 18 of the shares you list above - I will publish the weightings once I found out how to post my excel spreadsheet to this forum!

I have a holding in Inmarsat bought in January - but it doesn't seem to feature in many HYP portfolios.Are you still nervous on this stock?

Hi Piccadilly. Thanks for your input. Inmarsat (ISAT) have not come across my screening before, so have no issues regarding nervousness. ;) At a forward yield of 5.6%, £3.7Bn cap, weakly covered at 0.9, and a pe of 20, the cover would certainly concern me to be honest.

I look forward to viewing your holdings.

Regards,

Ian.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 27th, 2017, 9:59 am

Hi Picadilly, here's how to post tables - use the preview on your table before submitting ( or practice in the practice area elsewhere on this board)

http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... ormat.html

Raptor "pinch of salt"? ..Siberian salt mine more like :)

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » April 27th, 2017, 10:24 am

idpickering wrote:
piccadilly wrote: quote]

Hi Piccadilly. Thanks for your input. Inmarsat (ISAT) have not come across my screening before, so have no issues regarding nervousness. ;) At a forward yield of 5.6%, £3.7Bn cap, weakly covered at 0.9, and a pe of 20, the cover would certainly concern me to be honest.

I look forward to viewing your holdings.

Regards,

Ian.

I do like Inmarsat, but suspect I am not looking at it with a purest HYP mindset. However, I have a totally irrational issue with it in that I wanted to buy it when it recently fell hard, but did not have the funds in the right place. By the time my funds were in my SIPP the price had soared back up. Now I can't shake off the annoyance that I could not buy when I wanted to and it has tainted the share a bit for me. As I say, totally irrational, but at least I recognise it in myself :lol:

Terry.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 10:42 am

Wizard wrote:
I do like Inmarsat, but suspect I am not looking at it with a purest HYP mindset. However, I have a totally irrational issue with it in that I wanted to buy it when it recently fell hard, but did not have the funds in the right place. By the time my funds were in my SIPP the price had soared back up. Now I can't shake off the annoyance that I could not buy when I wanted to and it has tainted the share a bit for me. As I say, totally irrational, but at least I recognise it in myself :lol:

Terry.

Hi Terry. For me they seem to have a varied earning per share which is a major weakness to me. A bit volatile for my liking I think. Certainly not one I'm going to add to my HYP.

For ease of reference; http://www.digitallook.com/equity/Inmarsat

Ian.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » April 27th, 2017, 11:04 am

Ian

Sorry to ask the dumb question - is that single Weighting column you've published capital or income?
This being the HYP board, I'm assuming its income, right? ;)

It looks well settled for the next five years, have you thought much about or tried any projections yet of what overall portfolio income you are aiming for 5 years hence?

M

IronPyrites

Postby IronPyrites » April 27th, 2017, 11:35 am

Hi Ian

Many thanks for posting your HYP. I overlap with 13 of the 28 shares. As mentioned on another thread I am currently doing some rebalancing myself. Once this is complete and after a couple of weeks away in Cornwall :D (to recover from the stress of this ;) ) I will try to do a review of my portfolio. I last did a review on TMF in April 2016 so may be I can still link to this if it still exists.

Best regards
Iron

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » April 27th, 2017, 12:57 pm

As has been said Inmarsat does not look to good on cover. However having watched the launch of the first Global Express satellite live at the Old Street HQ I was very impressed and must admit my heart rules my head HYPwise. The three Global Xpress enables high speed broadband from the sea, in the air and uninhabited regions. The satellite's antennae can be steered to focus on locations of high traffic. Other carriers have been waffling about putting up satellites to do what Inmarsat has done without any concrete results as far as I am aware. Global Express is a great British success story harnessing Russian rockets and Boeing's satellite building capabilities. It's sickening that the UK media focus on Astronauts who are following a path well trodden by others for the last 17 years whilst achievements like this are ignored.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 27th, 2017, 1:07 pm

moorfield wrote:Ian

Sorry to ask the dumb question - is that single Weighting column you've published capital or income?
This being the HYP board, I'm assuming its income, right? ;)

It looks well settled for the next five years, have you thought much about or tried any projections yet of what overall portfolio income you are aiming for 5 years hence?

M

Hi moorfield, thanks for your post. The weighting is with regards to capital value, not the income, nor yield. I hope that clarifies things for you. As regards income in five years or so, I'm looking at about £10k pa. Maybe a lot more as new monies come to the fore as we downsize our house, and a prospective move at that time to Orkney. At that time we'll be 60 years old, so the HYP income, my Army pension, our state pensions too, we'll be fine. I don't like using pensions as I find them cumbersome and to restrictive. Although still working I've opted out of the work pension thing. There is a small £13k in a pension still with SIPPdeal which will be added to the pot, after taxes, next April.

Regards,

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » April 29th, 2017, 11:38 am

idpickering wrote:... Going forward it's unlikely I'll be bringing any more new holdings on board, just topping up for the next five years maybe. We'll see.

We'll see indeed... For what it's worth, I doubt that it's all that unlikely - the stockmarket does sometimes have bursts of merger and acquisition activity, and such a burst can make a mess of a decently-diversified HYP unless new holdings are brought on board. E.g. HYP1 had 6 of its 16 holdings taken over between 2006 and 2008, with 5 of those takeovers being for cash and so basically forcing purchases to be made, while the sixth effectively required a new holding to be taken on (Banco Santander in place of Alliance & Leicester) or cash to be taken instead by selling. And I wouldn't feel at all safe saying that such a burst was "unlikely" within the next five years...

I would stick to saying what your current intentions are rather than making statements about what's likely to happen!

Gengulphus

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 29th, 2017, 11:55 am

Gengulphus wrote:
idpickering wrote:... Going forward it's unlikely I'll be bringing any more new holdings on board, just topping up for the next five years maybe. We'll see.

We'll see indeed... For what it's worth, I doubt that it's all that unlikely - the stockmarket does sometimes have bursts of merger and acquisition activity, and such a burst can make a mess of a decently-diversified HYP unless new holdings are brought on board. E.g. HYP1 had 6 of its 16 holdings taken over between 2006 and 2008, with 5 of those takeovers being for cash and so basically forcing purchases to be made, while the sixth effectively required a new holding to be taken on (Banco Santander in place of Alliance & Leicester) or cash to be taken instead by selling. And I wouldn't feel at all safe saying that such a burst was "unlikely" within the next five years...

I would stick to saying what your current intentions are rather than making statements about what's likely to happen!

Gengulphus

Thanks for your input Gengulphus, and for your wise words. As usual.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » April 29th, 2017, 12:30 pm

idpickering wrote:
I'm looking at about £10k pa. Maybe a lot more as new monies come to the fore as we downsize our house, and a prospective move at that time to Orkney. At that time we'll be 60 years old, so the HYP income, my Army pension, our state pensions too, we'll be fine. I don't like using pensions as I find them cumbersome and to restrictive. Although still working I've opted out of the work pension thing. There is a small £13k in a pension still with SIPPdeal which will be added to the pot, after taxes, next April.

Regards,

Ian.

Ian, I'm sure you know how your own planning is working, you clearly outlined it, if I recall you were buggered about by a pension provider so are wary of them - I perfectly understand and for quite a long time I eschewed putting any of my direct investment into them too, preferring ISAs and then unsheltered holdings. However, workplace pensions where employees sacrifice a few percent and in return the company adds extra look like good value, free contributions as it were. I have always taken advantage when offered. In recent years the relaxed pensions regulations have made them less onerous and even attractive - tax rebates on the way in, the 25% tax free lump sum and the possibility of a lower tax rate in retirement than when working could be, for some, a clear advantage.
My HYP is in ISAs and unsheltered accounts and is the mainstay of my investment for retirement income. I have a couple of workplace pensions and for the first time this year added cash to a SIPP, I intend my ISAs and unsheltered HYP to do all the heavy lifting funding my post work activities and then the pensions will add the odd extravagance to the income mix.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 30th, 2017, 8:29 am

kempiejon wrote:I'm sure you know how your own planning is working, you clearly outlined it, if I recall you were buggered about by a pension provider so are wary of them

Hi kempiejon, thanks for your post. You are correct regarding your comment. I, along with many others, fell foul of the Equitable Life issue. Thereafter I elected to put all my monies scheduled for saving into my ISA. I have no regrets in having done so. Obviously there are any state pensins my Wife and I are entitled to, to add to our pot too.

Regards,

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » April 30th, 2017, 12:22 pm

By the way, thank you Terry (TJH) for tidying up my opening post.

Regards,

Ian.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

IronPyrites - HYP at two years

Postby PinkDalek » May 1st, 2017, 7:30 pm

A few days late but:
IronPyrites wrote:... I will try to do a review of my portfolio. I last did a review on TMF in April 2016 so may be I can still link to this if it still exists.

Best regards
Iron

It still exists http://boards.fool.co.uk/hyp-at-two-yea ... sort=whole but, in case it isn't when you next look, I've taken the liberty of saving the thread here http://web.archive.org/web/201705011826 ... sort=whole (if I've done it correctly).

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » May 3rd, 2017, 7:43 pm

I hold 23 of those, Ian, and a lot more besides, far too many to keep track of so I plan to reduce them when the opportunity presents itself.

My husband having also been in a drawdown with Equitable Life, he ended up with a fixed rate annuity of which I now receive two thirds. At least that is a guaranteed income, and not a bad one, added to the state pension probably enough to live on, so my dividends (mostly in ISAs) will cope with inflation and pay for capital expenses, holidays (if I ever get to go on any), school fees etc. The one advantage Kempiejohn didn't mention about pensions in drawdown is that they can be left to heirs (not just spouses) free of IHT, whereas ISAs can't. (I have never understood the logic of that, bearing in mind the tax relief on pension contributions, and failed to get any explanation from my MP). From that point of view, I regret the absence of a drawdown pension. Investing in a SIPP doesn't, so far as I am aware, involve any more work/risk than an equity ISA (isn't it just a different label?) and you would get tax relief on your contributions as well as the IHT advantage. However, you have presumably thought it all through and have your own good reasons.

Am dying to know why Orkney but that would be off-topic. Feel free to email me.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”