Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Centrica Trading Statement

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Centrica Trading Statement

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 7:03 am

Summary

The Company continues to make good progress in the implementation of its strategy and portfolio repositioning and remains on track to achieve the 2017 targets set out at its 2016 Preliminary Results in February. However, trading conditions continue to be highly competitive and performance delivery since mid-year within the Centrica Business energy supply businesses has been disappointing.

Iain Conn, Centrica Group Chief Executive, said “Although some aspects of our delivery in the second half of 2017 have been disappointing, I remain encouraged by our progress in implementing our strategy. The balance sheet has been materially strengthened, and we continue to focus on improving our underlying performance. We have also provided a broad and definitive set of proposals this week to improve the UK energy market for customers and look forward to engaging with the Government and regulator in the coming weeks.”

In Centrica Consumer, delivery from the Group’s efficiency programme is offsetting overall gross margin decline. Energy supply accounts have fallen, but this largely reflects choices we have made to focus on customer value, while in recent weeks account holdings in UK Home Services have stabilised and growth in Connected Home continues. In Centrica Business, we have experienced significant market pressures in our North America Business retail power book, and in UK Business we are not yet seeing improved operational performance flowing through to the bottom line. We are also reflecting a one-off non-cash post-tax charge of £46m in North America Business, relating to a reassessment of the historic recognition of unbilled power revenues. In the asset businesses, the Morecambe field is back on production and Spirit Energy, Centrica’s E&P joint venture with Stadtwerke München, is on target to close before the end of the year, subject to regulatory approvals.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/centrica- ... 0000Z6352/

mike
Lemon Slice

Re: Centrica Trading Statement

Postby mike » November 23rd, 2017, 8:26 am

And from the above link, the important bit (my emphasis)

However, with net debt expected to be within the Group’s targeted £2.5-£3.0bn range, the level consistent with our financial framework parameters, and 2017 adjusted operating cash flow expected to be above £2bn, the current level of the full year dividend per share is underpinned. For a period of time, while the Group is implementing its strategy to continue to shift the portfolio towards the customer and diversifying and growing new sources of gross margin, we would be willing to operate with dividend cover from earnings below historic levels.

Reassuring to hear, given that they are stating the forecast EPS to be 12.5p, only a fraction above last year's 12p dividend.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 8:26 am

How's your nerve. SP down 17% currently at 135p!

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 23rd, 2017, 8:37 am

Lost 823,000 retail customers since June.

Seems their way of avoiding price caps is to get rid of all their customers!

Unfortunately their SP fall seems to be dragging NG and SSE behind them, though if you're brave that might be a chance to pick up more NG at a bargain.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » November 23rd, 2017, 9:03 am

Correcting myself - just remembered it's NG's ex-div day, which explains their drop. (and since I'm already 14% in the red on SSE I wouldn't be rushing into them either)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am

idpickering wrote:How's your nerve. SP down 17% currently at 135p!

8.9% yield. Are you "pickering" today Ian? I am. :shock: :o :shock:

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » November 23rd, 2017, 10:58 am

moorfield wrote:

That's nothing - HL still has the Carillion yield at 94.62%, which I think is just above what is called the 'danger zone'. :D

Cheers, OLTB.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 12:47 pm

moorfield wrote:

Which direction are you pickering moorfield? Buying more or dropping this lemon?

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 1:27 pm

idpickering wrote:
moorfield wrote:

Which direction are you pickering moorfield? Buying more or dropping this lemon?

Ian.

No doubt I'll get slated for this, but I just dumped my CNA shares and put the proceeds into National Grid.

Ian.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 23rd, 2017, 1:56 pm

idpickering wrote:
No doubt I'll get slated for this, but I just dumped my CNA shares and put the proceeds into National Grid.

Ian.

Could be from frying pan into the fire :lol:

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 23rd, 2017, 2:14 pm

idpickering wrote:
moorfield wrote:

Ian.

I'm currently planning a top up in January, sized such that the forecast income from my utilities collectively (SSE, CNA, UU.) will be at my 20% industry limit, ie. forcing me not to picker over utilities and top up elsewhere after that. My average cost is currently £3.15 so with the view it's an opportunity to average down for the long term.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 23rd, 2017, 2:25 pm

idpickering wrote:No doubt I'll get slated for this, but I just dumped my CNA shares and put the proceeds into National Grid.

Ian.

Have you just given a one-line executive summary of HYP?

Buy high, sell low.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » November 23rd, 2017, 3:40 pm

spiderbill wrote:Lost 823,000 retail customers since June.

Seems their way of avoiding price caps is to get rid of all their customers!

Unfortunately their SP fall seems to be dragging NG and SSE behind them, though if you're brave that might be a chance to pick up more NG at a bargain.

So much easier than forming a new company (SSE/nPower) ! ;)

November 16th
Kepler Cheuvreux has upgraded Centrica to 'buy' after shares of the energy provider fell past the broker's valuation of the business.
https://www.digitallook.com/news/broker ... 77281.html

Bad timing!

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » November 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm

FWIW, I bought today. I wasn't previously a holder.

MDW1954

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 5:06 pm

Told you I'd get slated. I can hold my head up. They have been nothing but a nightmare since I bought them years ago, what with dividend cuts etc. Not a good HYP share IMHO. Hence my dropping them. Good luck to holders and buyers, I think you'll need it.

Ian.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 5:22 pm

This from TMF;

Is Centrica plc a falling knife to catch after sinking 15% today?

Things just got a whole lot worse for loyal holders of stock in FTSE 100 energy giant Centrica (LSE: CNA). After a year that had already seen the shares slide over 40%, this morning’s profit warning caused yet more investors to head for the exits. Can those remaining still rely on the company to pay its huge 7.5% dividend yield?

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/11 ... -15-today/

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 23rd, 2017, 5:35 pm

idpickering wrote:Told you I'd get slated. I can hold my head up. They have been nothing but a nightmare since I bought them years ago, what with dividend cuts etc. Not a good HYP share IMHO. Hence my dropping them. Good luck to holders and buyers, I think you'll need it.

Ian.

Well, I'm not slating you, despite my little jibe. I think it was a very reasonable decision and will help you rest easily at night. Seeing other shares descend into the depths and only slowly return, if at all, has increased your awareness, so I am not at all surprised. Mind you, it's part of a gradual converstion of your philosophy, which used to stauchly HYP - now you are rather more willing to sell out than years ago.

Arb.

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » November 23rd, 2017, 5:49 pm

Glad I sold out of Centrica recently although that was more to do with liquidating most of our non-ISA holdings. But at the same time I am gradually getting out of HYP shares and moving to ITs and ETFs. I’m also attracted to the Vanguard strategy funds.

Regards,

Leither.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » November 23rd, 2017, 5:51 pm

Leither wrote:Glad I sold out of Centrica recently although that was more to do with liquidating most of our non-ISA holdings. But at the same time I am gradually getting out of HYP shares and moving to ITs and ETFs. I’m also attracted to the Vanguard strategy funds.

Regards,

Leither.

Ah, yes - I remember you never were convinced :) Good luck with whatever you do.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 23rd, 2017, 5:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
idpickering wrote:Told you I'd get slated. I can hold my head up. They have been nothing but a nightmare since I bought them years ago, what with dividend cuts etc. Not a good HYP share IMHO. Hence my dropping them. Good luck to holders and buyers, I think you'll need it.

Ian.

Well, I'm not slating you, despite my little jibe. I think it was a very reasonable decision and will help you rest easily at night. Seeing other shares descend into the depths and only slowly return, if at all, has increased your awareness, so I am not at all surprised. Mind you, it's part of a gradual converstion of your philosophy, which used to stauchly HYP - now you are rather more willing to sell out than years ago.

Arb.

Thank you for your kind words Arb. It is not something I do lightly. The author of the TMF item hit the nail on the head for me;

Taking into account Centrica’s increasingly fragile dividend cover, the hypercompetitive nature of the energy market at home and abroad and its susceptibility to political interference, I can’t help thinking that income seekers and — indeed — all but the most patient of investors would be better served elsewhere.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”