Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Legal and General

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
idpickering
The full Lemon

Legal and General

Postby idpickering » November 26th, 2017, 11:51 am

I am a big fan of Legal and General (LGEN) , and they form 5.2% in capital value of my (now) 29 share HYP. I hold them alongside Standard Life in the sector , and between them they form 8.35% in capital value of my HYP. Going back to LGEN though, I regard them as a valuable mainstay of my HYP. This writer for TMF seems to have a similar opinion of LGEN as mine.

Why Legal & General Group plc is set to be a millionaire-maker stock

I am a big fan of Legal & General Group (LSE: LGEN). I believe that its resilience in the UK, and ambitious expansion into the US, bodes extremely well for brilliant earnings and dividend growth in the years ahead. Its last trading statement showed group pre-tax profits booming 43% in the six months to June.

http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/11 ... ker-stock/

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Legal and General

Postby Darka » November 26th, 2017, 3:25 pm

One of my best performing shares, 75% capital gain (first purchase back in 2009) and paid me 36.5% of it's cost back as dividends.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » November 26th, 2017, 3:57 pm

So, the man from TMF is a "big fan" of LGEN. So much of a fan that he owns none of their shares. So how do we reconcile these two seemingly contradictory statements? For me the answer is I conclude that the author is more a fan of getting paid for articles by TMF than he is of LGEN and is therefore say whatever is necessary to get paid. I therefore have no faith in anything else he says in the article.

Terry.
(who also happens to be a fan of LGEN and backs this up by holding the share)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 26th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Wizard wrote:So, the man from TMF is a "big fan" of LGEN. So much of a fan that he owns none of their shares. So how do we reconcile these two seemingly contradictory statements? For me the answer is I conclude that the author is more a fan of getting paid for articles by TMF than he is of LGEN and is therefore say whatever is necessary to get paid. I therefore have no faith in anything else he says in the article.

Terry.

==============================

or it could be that he just doesnt have the cash ....

i also have a substantial holding .

Leither
Lemon Slice

Postby Leither » November 26th, 2017, 6:48 pm

jackdaww wrote:
Wizard wrote:So, the man from TMF is a "big fan" of LGEN. So much of a fan that he owns none of their shares. So how do we reconcile these two seemingly contradictory statements? For me the answer is I conclude that the author is more a fan of getting paid for articles by TMF than he is of LGEN and is therefore say whatever is necessary to get paid. I therefore have no faith in anything else he says in the article.

Terry.

Let's face it, these TMF articles are a complete & utter waste of time, their sole purpose is to lure people into signing up for some sort of useless subscription. Why on earth do people bother reading them?

Regards,

Leither.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 26th, 2017, 9:30 pm

Leither wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

Terry.

Let's face it, these TMF articles are a complete & utter waste of time, their sole purpose is to lure people into signing up for some sort of useless subscription. Why on earth do people bother reading them?

Regards,

Leither.

Agreed.

IF I want to read TMF articles I can go to TMF website myself. I don't see the point of quoting them on here, particularly as they are so short, one-sided and unbalanced. Is this the Lemon Fool forum or an offshoot of Motley Fool? (I could perhaps see some point, if an article added something meaningful to an existing discussion or thread).

Richfool, who happens to be a fan and a holder of both stocks, - SLA and LGEN.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » November 27th, 2017, 7:59 pm

idpickering wrote:http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/11/26/why-legal-general-group-plc-is-set-to-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

Apologies if my earlier (now deleted) post annoyed anyone. The "rolling eyes" emoji (IIRC) was probably the wrong choice in hindsight.

Can I suggest to Ian that any links to TMF articles are prefixed with "TMF:" in the post title, eg. TMF: Legal and General.

There is a similar practice that goes on in our office, and enables people who want to to ignore email threads without actually clicking into them to read.

M

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 27th, 2017, 8:58 pm

L & G is another share which I have held for about 20 years. What these shares have in common is culture. Culture is undervalued and probably misunderstood. Like the average member's club, where you only want members like yourself, the same thing applies I think to Boards of Directors. Culture is difficult to shift and so HSBC, L & G, and of course family companies like ABF, Caledonia, and so on have a culture which is unchanged for many years. I think that is what makes L & G so successful.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » November 28th, 2017, 5:53 am

moorfield wrote:
idpickering wrote:http://www.fool.co.uk/investing/2017/11/26/why-legal-general-group-plc-is-set-to-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

Apologies if my earlier (now deleted) post annoyed anyone. The "rolling eyes" emoji (IIRC) was probably the wrong choice in hindsight.

Can I suggest to Ian that any links to TMF articles are prefixed with "TMF:" in the post title, eg. TMF: Legal and General.

There is a similar practice that goes on in our office, and enables people who want to to ignore email threads without actually clicking into them to read.

M

Good idea moorfield. That's something I will pick up on.

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”