Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fundsmith dumped IMB

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
Avalaugh

Fundsmith dumped IMB

Postby Avalaugh » December 2nd, 2017, 10:29 pm

Terry smith just dumped Imperial Brands,
Haven't found an explanation,
Also my largest holding eek

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Fundsmith dumped IMB

Postby Dod101 » December 3rd, 2017, 7:27 am

As I have said about other fund managers, Smith's aims are probably not the same as ours. In fact from the stats provided it looks as if he is looking for total return. On this Board we are looking at income and I doubt that dividends are under threat so what is the concern? They have just announced a continuation of their 10% increase in the dividend and at that time must have been aware of the problems and risks involved with P & H.

Likewise of course, when buying. If we are following a fund manager when buying just try to make sure that his aims coincide with yours.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 3rd, 2017, 9:45 am

I guess if I were looking for Total Return neither of the tobacco stocks would come to mind at the moment, even although over the years they have proved to be great investments. The tide seems to be turning against tobacco ion quite a big way and although I do not think the dividends are in danger, capital gains might be.

As for Terry Smith? He seems to have the right idea but don't forget Nick Train, another with as good a record, maybe better.

Dod

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 3rd, 2017, 9:59 am

Slightly off topic. P&H has been a disaster waiting to happen for a while. We have had major problems with them billing for products not supplied and short deliveries for about a year. We are told that our own distribution people are going to start delivering Tobacco sometime next week. They also supply frozen products which we are also having our team delivering shortly, when we have emptied the warehouses of our products, we should have another supplier on board (ok we are purchasing them), which was always gpoing to happen.

On topic, I was in 2 minds when buying for my daughters HYP whether to go for IMB or BATS, decided on BATS but to me little difference. Total return doesn't look great but as long as dividend keeps ticking along am happy.

Raptor.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 3rd, 2017, 12:32 pm

Raptor wrote:
On topic, I was in 2 minds when buying for my daughters HYP whether to go for IMB or BATS, decided on BATS but to me little difference. Total return doesn't look great but as long as dividend keeps ticking along am happy.

Raptor.

I've always focussed on the share offering the higher yield in a given sector, and that in tobacco is obviously Imperial. Over the years I've topped them up a few times, and have ended up with my IMB holdings being twice that of BATS. I'm ok with that, as it's the income that's the name of the game, right? ;)

Ian.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”