Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Land Securities (and Hammerson) versus British Land

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
YeeWo
Lemon Slice

Re: Land Securities (and Hammerson) versus British Land

Postby YeeWo » January 20th, 2018, 10:23 am

monabri wrote:Can anyone see the likes of Sainsburys and Tesco asking for rent reductions with a possible knock on effect to the REITs?
- YES!
- BLND seemed Good Value/High Yield at £5.909 25 Nov 16 and again at £6.113 17 Mar 17, the Clincher for me though is the Quarterly Dividend.
- I walk through the British Land estate in Liverpool Street on a daily basis and it does seem a very very well run operation.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 20th, 2018, 10:59 am

monabri wrote:Can anyone see the likes of Sainsburys and Tesco asking for rent reductions with a possible knock on effect to the REITs?

I think it is very much as gengulphus has said, the outcome of any attempted renegotiation is impossible for us to predict.

If your question relates to Hammerson and the excellent post by BristolDave* then I would not have thought big Supermarkets would be the main concern. The worry would be more about the footfall in all the other varied retailers in those large retail developments.

Terry.

*less lurking and more helpful posts like that one please Dave

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 18th, 2018, 1:58 pm

I noticed that HMSO are very likely to be "demoted" from the FTSE100 and thus will be sold by the tracker funds. In that case the effective yield should increase (5.32% currently). Possibly one to keep an eye on ?

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 18th, 2018, 3:08 pm

monabri wrote:I noticed that HMSO are very likely to be "demoted" from the FTSE100 and thus will be sold by the tracker funds. In that case the effective yield should increase (5.32% currently). Possibly one to keep an eye on ?

I'd debate your premise, frankly. These days, there are are very few tracker funds that explicitly cover just the FTSE 100. It is more usual to see FTSE All-Share trackers, and of course, in that case it will make no difference.

MDW1954

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2018, 3:38 pm

Of course I can except that I thought that they owned most of their stores.

But look at the IRRs quoted by TJH. Not exactly a sparkling investment are they?

Dod

MDW1954
Lemon Quarter

Postby MDW1954 » February 18th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:

Of course I can except that I thought that they owned most of their stores.

But look at the IRRs quoted by TJH. Not exactly a sparkling investment are they?

Dod

But now, they are trading at a significant discount to NAV. That's the difference (and, partly, the appeal).

MDW1954

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 18th, 2018, 10:18 pm

But they will not be much better. They are in a market which is beset by unknowns except that the competition is not going away.

They are at a discount for good reason; probably that the asset is overvalued. keep well clear.

Dod

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 19th, 2018, 5:02 am

I must admit that all this negative chat regarding British Land, particularly over in the other thread on REITs, is causing me to reconsider my position in holding them further. As to whether I'll eject them from my HYP remains to be seen.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 19th, 2018, 8:54 am

idpickering wrote:I must admit that all this negative chat regarding British Land, particularly over in the other thread on REITs, is causing me to reconsider my position in holding them further. As to whether I'll eject them from my HYP remains to be seen.

Ian.

BLND do yield about 4.6% and forecast to increase over last year too, I can understand being talked out of what looked superficially like a perfectly good looking shares when the weight of historical evidence shows they could have actually caused a drag on your total worth but what to swap into. I know I don't know what will be better than REITS for for the next 10 year and they're not making any more land are they? I hold along with Segro, BLND's yield does not prompt any cause for further investigation by me.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » February 19th, 2018, 9:16 am

BLND might not be the best share for Total Return, however I am holding for the very long term and the dividend yield is just fine for me.

Swapping in to and out of shares (because they are not the flavour of the month/year) just seems to increase costs without any guarantees of a better outcome.

So long as BLND pay me dividends that are higher than the FTSE100, then as far as I'm concerned they can stay.

regards,
Darka

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 19th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Cheers kempiejon, and Darka. You are totally correct of course, and as it is, I have elected to do nothing with my BLND shares apart from sit on them and enjoy the income. HYPing isn't about today, tomorrow, or next week. I intend holding on for another ten years or more. Take my doubting my position as a minor blip/near miss on my part.

Ian.

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » February 19th, 2018, 2:50 pm

idpickering wrote: I intend holding on for another ten years or more. Take my doubting my position as a minor blip/near miss on my part. Ian.

Mmmm 10 years.
I bought BLND 7.3.08 at £9.3345 with the FTSE at 5687.8 and have seen them down c.580ish.
I do wonder at what point I should have sold. I had been watching for a while before I bought... what a plank!

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » February 19th, 2018, 3:28 pm

Darka wrote:So long as BLND pay me dividends that are higher than the FTSE100, then as far as I'm concerned they can stay.

Darka, while I do agree and will be taking the same option I now know that over the past 10 years the FTSE100 would have been a better overall investment but given me a little less yield. I do not have the exact numbers when I bought BLND but I'd guess they yielded about 5% with the ftse about 3%; Ian on a per share basis there have been better picks but they were unknowable at time of buy and would be unknowable going forward for the next decade - it's a portfolio we're looking at hopefully some of my picks have done more lifting.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » February 19th, 2018, 4:56 pm

gnawsome wrote:
idpickering wrote: I intend holding on for another ten years or more. Take my doubting my position as a minor blip/near miss on my part. Ian.

Mmmm 10 years.
I bought BLND 7.3.08 at £9.3345 with the FTSE at 5687.8 and have seen them down c.580ish.
I do wonder at what point I should have sold. I had been watching for a while before I bought... what a plank!

Hi gnawsome, thanks for your message. I get your doubts re my 10 year comment. I guess what I meant though was that I just want to hang onto the shares for a lengthy period, and be able to ignore them, gathering the welcome dividends as I go. Kempijon was right in his post. They are part of a portfolio of holdings.

Ian.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 20th, 2018, 8:46 am

I am not much impressed with British Land or Land Securities. They have large eye catching and for all I know well managed properties and being REITS they produce a decent income but are pretty hopeless for long term TR. I gave up on both of them some years back but bought back into B Land about three years ago for the income. However I have just sold again and bought A & J Mucklow. Many would say you cannot compare them, one being a property giant and the other a regional tiddler. But I like Mucklow and have been trying to buy into it for a while but they always seemed a bit expensive. However I have now taken the plunge. The yield is almost the same as for B Land and I suspect the share performance will be better.

I still have some B Land in my SIPP so it will be easy and interesting to compare them.

Incidentally, apart from the stamp duty there were no transaction costs as I get 4 trades I think it is thrown in by ATS and in fact something similar with III and they both have flat fees.

I have made more changes in the last month or so than I have for a long time but I think that will probably do for this calendar year.

Dod

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » February 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Having read the thread, here's my tuppence worth:

1. To quote myself: "Many quoted property companies are better at property than company management. Consider, for example, Land Securities plc: its portfolio is undoubtedly prime and its people adept at realising potential, but in my opinion how it manages the company for shareholders leaves a lot to be desired, such as embarking upon a share buy-back programme costing about £570 million in 2000 and more buy-back again in 2007 when the share price was around £17.20 (today it’s about £9.39, and at Nov 2017 adjusted diluted net assets £14.32 - for comparison when I wrote this originally 30 September 2013 adjusted NAV £9.37), and converting to a REIT at the height of the market thereby paying tax on peak prices. Had that money not been wasted, Land Securities might not have needed a deep-discount rights issue (eight shares for five at £2.70) to raise £755M in 2009, and to reset the dividend."

2. PE ratios are meaningless for prop cos. The relevant factor is NAV. Net Asset Value is a matter of opinion: informed valuation opinion to be precise, but opinion nevertheless. During the past few years capital growth has been hard to come by; so what with much growth in recent years a reflection of yield compression caused by low interest rates, capital values are expected to soften as and when interest rates rise so concern is that property yields would also go up. True, the nature of the portfolio is such that prime yields would apply, but it's also a question of who else would be in the market to buy. That none of the majors has been on the receiving end of an uncontested take-over bid suggests that property-oriented investors with deep pockets aren't impressed by the differential between NAV and share price.

3. Generally, the main prop cos are developers: arguably, once a developer always a developer. So ingrained is the thinking that the long-term buy and hold of dry and/or even slightly reversionary investments is viewed as misuse of capital tied-up. Better to sell into investment market sentiment and use the proceeds to buy some more bricks. Long ago, i attended a commercial property conference during which the audience was asked whether it preferred development or investment: development won by miles, investment it was said is boring. Development is action and in my view those prop cos that are into development enjoy nothing more than to parade their latest schemes.

4. I am sceptical whether REITS are run for shareholders, so much as for their directors and managers, many of who are also shareholders but rarely with majority control. In fact, since successful investment in property is roughly 50% understanding of finance, the balance of property, it could also be reasoned that a quoted plc isn't in it to make money for shareholders, so much as to provide the board and senior personnel with a lucrative career-path. As I understand, although REITs can be tax-efficient, because the property company pays no corporation or capital gains tax on the profits made from property investment, that presupposes there are profits made from the property investment activities.

5. BL vs HMSO? In its hey-day, BL was run by Sir John Ritblat, one of the commercial property industry's 'shrewdies'. (The British Land Company was founded in 1856 as an offshoot of the National Freehold Land Society. In 1970, John Ritblat as he was then bought BL from Jim Slater for £1m and retired as Chairman in 2006.). Arguably BL's most famous achievement is the Bbroadgate Estate (London) in which BL has been involved including a period of outright ownership since 1984. I don't follow BL is any detail because I don't rate it: don't ask me why, just don't.

6.1 Perhaps one reason I don't rate it is summed up in the other day BL (through a newly formed company) paid circa £103 million - net initial yield 4.1% - for the Woolwich Estate (London SE18) and press release enthusiastic. I know a bit about it (for reason I won't/can't disclose). In mid-2014, a investment co name of Mansford bought the Woolwich Estate for £52.5m from Powis Street Estates. The latter had bought the Estate from Prudential Assurance which had owned the Estate for decades. Why BL think they're going to do any better than Mansford at capitalising I've no idea: time will tell. Whether or not BL does, you can bet your bottom-dollar that the directors and senior managers will continue to enjoy upward-only pay packages.

7.0 HMSO. Probably because my field is retail property I like Hammerson, because it's a pure play on retail property. Before HMSO sold its office blocks and decided to focus exclusively on retail, I reckoned it was onto a winner. I still do. Acquiring Intu (in my opinion, Intu has good centres but otherwise not a patch on the way HMSO is run) is I reckon going to prove a property bargain. Whether I can afford to hold onto my few shares in HMSO long enough to enjoy the fruits of my prediction I don't know: saving is supposed to be for my holiday. What I do know is that a property company whose retail assets are used annualy by around half the UK population and which occupy core positions in key locations is worth investing in for rising income from dividends. That the proposed acquisition is subject to competition issues approval says it all. This proposal isn't only about two large prop cos combining, it's also about dominating the retail property market and determining the retail mix in purpose-built centres and owning some very prime car parks as well!

8.0 5.But not for capital growth: the valuation permutations are too variable/fickle. The discount between the prevailing sp and last reported NAV is only as good as the last reported NAV. The retail property market is dynamic. Market sentiment (and media comment) is worried about the health of middle-market retailers, including the anchor stores, most of whom are in financial difficulty and falling by the wayside. Without enough middle-market retailers wanting to expand who is going to lease all the shopping centre shops in future? Perhaps future centres will consist of a few very big retailers and some local traders? As for rental levels, a few percent increase here and there might offset voids but after old rents have caught up, where is the rental growth goes to come from. As for the internet, media hysteria. Progressive retailers are already capitalising. Ok, the internet means no need for as many retail shops, but HMSO and Intu will only have about 85 centres in UK and abroad. Which bearing in mind a multiple retailer only needs to be in about 100 locations for it to serve the UK rather suggests that although many retailers have too many shops in the wrong places, HMSO doesn't and won't.

9.0 As for yield on shares, the same appraisal criteria is necessary; for example: is the prevailing share price a good value reflection of the net asset value, how reliable in the NAV, how sustainable long-term is the dividend and whether there that much scope for increase? And like most investment in shares, if you want the sp to go up then buy at the lowest point. And if prefer to make your profit on the way down then buy when the sp is at peak.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”