As FOIL approaches I’m considering shifting some of my investment in Hurricane stock to CA but I just thought I’d throw this out there and see if anyone else has a view.
A long time ago CRS used to follow HUR share price almost by the minute but you can see in this tweet of mine in early July there was a large disconnect between a relatively large increase in HUR (and FFX) share price and very little happening to CRS. I keep a dummy portfolio reflecting CRS top ten list and monitor the discount/premium. Do not rely too much on any 'published' figures because they tend to refer to the holdings at the FY end for CRS. As you noted, the CRS Monthly Holdings RNS gives you a clearer picture but 1) They tend to be a week old and 2) It highlights to investors the NAV discount at which point it is 'too late' as that discount rate is quickly narrowed. And yes, CRS have traded to a premium on occasion.
It should also be remembered that CRS have unexercised share options in HUR.
Significant news driven share price activity on HUR has not, in recent times, been reflected in CRS share price so potentially you will have an opportunity to trade after the fact in CRS. In other words if HUR opens significantly higher/lower in the morning you may be able to take advantage by buying/selling CRS. However, you will need to take account for the spread on CRS and costs which can be significant.
As regards when to trade I would judge that largely on the discount/premium and not so much on discrete events such as FOIL.