Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Renewable + conventional trends

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Renewable + conventional trends

Postby richfool » November 27th, 2020, 2:53 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:The big storage is in hydrogen IMHO.

So my speculative purchase of CWR (Ceres Power) - up about +60% since I purchased a couple month back.

I've been watching CWS for a while.

It's on the AIM index with no dividend, but must be using rocket fuel for propulsion, though a bit like riding the big dipper! :D

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 27th, 2020, 2:57 pm

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Slightly tangential to the topic, but Questor today in the Telegraph is selling National Grid and buying Gore Street Energy Storage.

RVF

Ironically, Gore Street Energy is the tiddler of the two (GSF and GRID), and has the higher yield and higher premium, (a wider B/O spread) and funnily enough is up 6.6% today. Though I would have err'd more towards GRID.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » November 27th, 2020, 3:48 pm

richfool wrote:
TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:The big storage is in hydrogen IMHO.

So my speculative purchase of CWR (Ceres Power) - up about +60% since I purchased a couple month back.

I've been watching CWS for a while.

It's on the AIM index with no dividend, but must be using rocket fuel for propulsion, though a bit like riding the big dipper! :D

CWSR

Yeah, they've not reported an accounting profit as yet. But they report less and less of a loss each period. Have several big particular partnerships incl. Bosch (have fuel cell buses), British Gas, and several Japanese and Chinese firms.

Another very interesting one (but less well financed I think) is ITM.

Btw when you guys mentioned GRID earlier, you meant NG. Correct?

Matt

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 28th, 2020, 10:42 am

dspp wrote:....it is the running hours that dictate gas turbine lifetimes......

Not entirely. From my involvement in insuring aviation gas turbines, I recall that the thermal fatigue arising at each startup is also significant.
Which is not to detract from your other observations about our likely path over the next decade, which I fear are bang on.

V8

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » November 28th, 2020, 12:02 pm

88V8 wrote:
dspp wrote:....it is the running hours that dictate gas turbine lifetimes......

Not entirely. From my involvement in insuring aviation gas turbines, I recall that the thermal fatigue arising at each startup is also significant.
Which is not to detract from your other observations about our likely path over the next decade, which I fear are bang on.

V8

Yes, I agree, it is a complex subject, but all things being equal running hours is a decent first proxy. Hence the opportunity to defer storage investment that the UK has.

regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 8th, 2020, 10:09 am

"The industry regulator will allow energy networks to plough at least £40bn into the green energy revolution and make higher returns on their investments, after companies threatened an unprecedented rebellion against its plans to save homes £20 a year on their energy bills. Ofgem’s plans, set out on Tuesday, will halve the savings energy bill payers can expect over the next five years to £10 a year after softening the crackdown on energy company profits it proposed over the summer. The regulator has given the green light for investments in electricity grid upgrades, which are paid for through energy bills, to climb by a fifth compared with its earlier proposals which sought to limit spending to £25bn.
Ofgem will also allow the companies to make returns of 4.3% on their energy network investments, up from its early plan to cut them to a record low of 3.9% but still well below the returns of 7-8% allowed over recent years."

etc

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... urns-ofgem

- dspp

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 8th, 2020, 4:10 pm

dspp wrote:"The industry regulator will allow energy networks to plough at least £40bn into the green energy revolution....."

Surely if the regulator has any function in regulating this aspect of the utilities' activities, they should be encouraging the maximum feasible green investments. Including grid-scale storage.

Allow? What's that supposed to mean??

V8

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 8th, 2020, 4:33 pm

88V8 wrote:
dspp wrote:"The industry regulator will allow energy networks to plough at least £40bn into the green energy revolution....."

Surely if the regulator has any function in regulating this aspect of the utilities' activities, they should be encouraging the maximum feasible green investments. Including grid-scale storage.

Allow? What's that supposed to mean??

V8

The regulator also determines what are allowable profit margins on the investment plans. This creates a certain amount of tension as the regulator, who is ultimately beholden to politicians, simultaneously wants the energy companies to invest $bn whilst also setting RoI >>> 0. Naturally the energy companies go on an investment strike. Until negotiation results in a higher allowed rate. regards, dspp

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 9th, 2020, 11:42 am

UK Carbon Budget
https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/s ... on-budget/

Our recommended pathway requires a 78% reduction in UK territorial emissions between 1990 and 2035. In effect, bringing forward the UK’s previous 80% target by nearly 15 years.

The Sixth Carbon Budget can be met through four key steps:

1. Take up of low-carbon solutions. People and businesses will choose to adopt low-carbon solutions, as high carbon options are progressively phased out. By the early 2030s all new cars and vans and all boiler replacements in homes and other buildings are low-carbon – largely electric. By 2040 all new trucks are low-carbon. UK industry shifts to using renewable electricity or hydrogen instead of fossil fuels, or captures its carbon emissions, storing them safely under the sea.

2. Expansion of low-carbon energy supplies. UK electricity production is zero carbon by 2035. Offshore wind becomes the backbone of the whole UK energy system, growing from the Prime Minister’s promised 40GW in 2030 to 100GW or more by 2050. New uses for this clean electricity are found in transport, heating and industry, pushing up electricity demand by a half over the next 15 years, and doubling or even trebling demand by 2050. Low-carbon hydrogen scales-up to be almost as large, in 2050, as electricity production is today. Hydrogen is used as a shipping and transport fuel and in industry, and potentially in some buildings, as a replacement for natural gas for heating.

3. Reducing demand for carbon-intensive activities. The UK wastes fewer resources and reduces its reliance on high-carbon goods. Buildings lose less energy through a national programme to improve insulation across the UK. Diets change, reducing our consumption of high-carbon meat and dairy products by 20% by 2030, with further reductions in later years. There are fewer car miles travelled and demand for flights grows more slowly. These changes bring striking positive benefits for health and well-being.

4. Land and greenhouse gas removals. etc.................

- dspp

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » December 9th, 2020, 2:04 pm

An easier way to start would be to stop mass migration and kick out those that should not be here.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » December 9th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Yes we could kick out all those, mostly of working age, and replace them with the pensioners in S Europe, who presumably we could expect to get back instead?

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 10th, 2020, 10:50 am

anon155742 wrote:An easier way to start would be to stop mass migration and kick out those that should not be here.

I agree, but this is a matter for the Social Discussions board, not this one.
The fact is that climate change is just one harmful aspect of the excessive human population, and the UK can and should set an example by deliberately reducing birthrate and population, but if course it won't.

Meanwhile we pretend that we'll reduce our emissions.
Which is easier of course when we don't count the 6,500,000 tons that comes out of incinerators, nor the tonnage from the additional seventeen incinerators we're planning to build. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ing-scheme

V8

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 10th, 2020, 12:51 pm

i will replace my current petrol car next year.

i tow a small caravan , which rules out pure electric .

i doubt there will be many petrol only cars for sale , so a petrol hybrid looks inevitable , probably honda , suzuki or toyota.

:)

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 10th, 2020, 12:53 pm

anon155742 wrote:An easier way to start would be to stop mass migration and kick out those that should not be here.

==========================

not agreed , but this is wrong board.

:(

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 10th, 2020, 1:33 pm

jackdaww wrote:

==========================

not agreed , but this is wrong board.

:(

Moderator Message:
Correct - this is the wrong board for that sort of discussion. Could everyone please stop it so I do not have to get the delete button out, because I won't waste my time on the edit button. Thank you, dspp

FabianBjornseth
Lemon Pip

Postby FabianBjornseth » December 11th, 2020, 8:17 am

Not sure if this was shared here already:

Royal Dutch Shell has been hit by the departure of several clean energy executives amid a split over how far and fast the oil giant should shift towards greener fuels.

The wave of resignations comes just weeks before Shell is set to announce its strategy for the energy transition. Some executives have pushed for a more aggressive shift from oil but top management is more inclined to stick closer to the company’s current path, according to four people familiar with the matter.

Marc van Gerven, who headed the solar, storage and onshore wind businesses at Shell, Eric Bradley, who worked in Shell’s distributed energy division, and Katherine Dixon, a leader in its energy transition strategy team, have all left the company in recent weeks.

Dorine Bosman, Shell’s vice-president for offshore wind, is also due to leave the company. Several other top executives in the clean energy part of the business also plan to exit in the coming months, two of the people said.

Not every move is known to be linked to frustration about the pace of change but people familiar with the internal debate said there were deep divisions over the timeframe for reducing the company’s dependence on oil and gas revenues, which had influenced at least some of the departing executives.

“People are really questioning if there will be any change at all,” said one of the people familiar with the internal tensions. “Part of the frustration is that you see the potential, but the mindset isn’t there among senior leaders for anything radical.”

https://www.ft.com/content/053663f1-0320-4b83-be31-fefbc49b0efc

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 23rd, 2020, 12:01 pm

World’s 1st zero-emission container vessel, Yara Birkeland, delivered
Under the partnership, Kongsberg has been in charge of the development and delivery of all key enabling technologies on Yara Birkeland including the sensors and integration required for remote and autonomous operations, in addition to the electric drive, battery and propulsion control systems. Yara Birkeland features 80 meters in length, 15 meters in width, and can accommodate 120 standard 20-foot containers (TEU).The vessel is planned to ship products from Yara’s Porsgrunn production plant to Brevik and Larvik in Norway, helping move transport from road to sea and thereby reducing noise and dust, NOx and Co2 emissions.
https://www.offshore-energy.biz/worlds- ... 2020-12-23

It seems to be an approximate 30nm route, which illustrates the issues shipping face with adopting renewables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Yara_Birkeland

regards, dspp

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » December 27th, 2020, 3:21 pm

dspp wrote:hydrogen sucks ...... but Johnson's cronies would get rich pumping taxpayer pork into it ........

- dspp

What's the issue with hydrogen, except for it's flammability? In my opinion it would be appear to be a superb energy storage medium for daytime wind and solar energy generated surpluses.

Matt

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 27th, 2020, 5:32 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
dspp wrote:hydrogen sucks ...... but Johnson's cronies would get rich pumping taxpayer pork into it ........

- dspp

What's the issue with hydrogen, except for it's flammability? In my opinion it would be appear to be a superb energy storage medium for daytime wind and solar energy generated surpluses.

Matt

cost vs alternatives, i.e. lithiums for almost all applications

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 27th, 2020, 5:59 pm

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:What's the issue with hydrogen, except for it's flammability? In my opinion it would be appear to be a superb energy storage medium for daytime wind and solar energy generated surpluses.

Matt

Do remember that for over a century we used town's gas, which had a high percentage of hydrogen in its composition. It has been used for vehicle traction, and my grandfather ran a printing works powered by a single cylinder engine, running on town's gas, driving the overhead shafting system.

TJH

Return to “Oil & Gas & Energy (Sector & Companies)”