Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Pension for woman who paid reduced NI

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Pension for woman who paid reduced NI

Postby staffordian » November 5th, 2020, 10:42 pm

Can someone possibly point me to any information relating to a question which Google has failed me on?

A woman worked for many years but only paid the reduced rate NI contribution, assuming she would get a pension based on her husband's contributions, as was relatively comon at that time (1960s and 1970s).

In 1978 she divorced and remarried. Her second husband is several years younger than her and has not yet reached his pension age.

She, having reached retirement age of 60 in the early 2000s, only received a (graduated?) pension of around 80p per week.

Google informs me that had she reached retirement age after 2016, she would have recieved a pension (based on husband's NI record, I think) of around £77 per week.

When, a few years ago, she checked her position with the DWP, she was simply told that her pension of by then around £1.20 per week was correct, but she would get a larger pension when her husband reached retirement age. They did not say how much it might be.

Will this be the same £77 odd referred to above, or is it a proportion of the husband's pension, or something totally different?

I realise this is a somewhat unusual situation, which is probably why my Googling has failed me, so if anyone can point me in the direction of how this is dealt with, I'd be very grateful.

Chrysalis
Lemon Slice

Re: Pension for woman who paid reduced NI

Postby Chrysalis » November 5th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Well, assuming your Google skills are similar to mine, you’ve probably already found this, but just in case it helps:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/a ... on_fcs.pdf

The other places you could try would be the Pensions Advisory Service helpline (if the website doesn’t have enough info) or of course the horse’s mouth, the Future Pensions Centre (DWP).

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Pension for woman who paid reduced NI

Postby staffordian » November 6th, 2020, 9:01 am

Chrysalis wrote:Well, assuming your Google skills are similar to mine, you’ve probably already found this, but just in case it helps:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/a ... on_fcs.pdf

The other places you could try would be the Pensions Advisory Service helpline (if the website doesn’t have enough info) or of course the horse’s mouth, the Future Pensions Centre (DWP).

Thank you.

I had found the link you refer to, albeit a previous version. For some reason which currently escapes me, I reached the conclusion that it did not cover the circumstances I'd outlined, but on re-reading section 8.4, I think this does answer the question, so many thanks for finding it and giving me the opportunity to revisit it and find what I needed

Coincidentally, I discovered the Pensions Advisory Service after posting the query here and have submitted it online to them, so should get a response in the next few days from them.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”