Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Aviva fund valuations

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Aviva fund valuations

Postby airbus330 » December 7th, 2020, 5:32 pm

I have some of my pension invested with Aviva. They have an online service where you can see the valuation of each fund within the pension. This price changes each day, as you would expect. However, the value of each fund seems to lag the movement of the stock market by about 3 days. I understand from Aviva that a valuation point is made at mid day each working day and that sales of a particular fund are priced at the next valuation point after the trade is ordered. Where I can't get any sense from Aviva is, whether the value I see on screen is live or the one from midday yesterday or from x days before. It is really annoying as I want to change one fund shortly and timing it wrong could cost several '000 pounds (or gain of course). Has anyone experience of this issue and how do I deal with it. It feels a bit of a gamble. Thanks

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Aviva fund valuations

Postby Alaric » December 7th, 2020, 6:39 pm

airbus330 wrote:Where I can't get any sense from Aviva is, whether the value I see on screen is live or the one from midday yesterday or from x days before.

You can eliminate the possibility that it's live, as there won't be a mechanism to price it continuously. It's one of the midday prices, but you might have to work out which one it is by observation over a few days.

With that type of contract, when you switch you are stabbing in the dark, both on the sell price you get and also the buy price of the replacement fund.

To get real time dealing, it would be necessary to move to a SIPP when Investment Trusts and ETFs can be valued and dealt continuously.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 7th, 2020, 11:45 pm

Alaric wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Where I can't get any sense from Aviva is, whether the value I see on screen is live or the one from midday yesterday or from x days before.

You can eliminate the possibility that it's live, as there won't be a mechanism to price it continuously. It's one of the midday prices, but you might have to work out which one it is by observation over a few days.

With that type of contract, when you switch you are stabbing in the dark, both on the sell price you get and also the buy price of the replacement fund.

To get real time dealing, it would be necessary to move to a SIPP when Investment Trusts and ETFs can be valued and dealt continuously.

Thanks Alaric, I did realise this was the case, I have tried to work out the lag in the website pricing, but its difficult and a best guess at a 3 day lag.
As you say, in a SIPP with ETF/IT, which I also have, this is not an issue.

I was wondering if this vagueness was a particular feature of the Aviva platform, or, everyone suffers with the same thing.

b0f77

Postby b0f77 » December 8th, 2020, 11:06 pm

If you know the fund code (12 digit ISIN code I think) you can look it up on the FT funds site and see historical prices.

For example one of the Aviva funds I have is here:
https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tears ... 679894:GBP

My Aviva online account shows this fund unit price as 10.8842 today (Tuesday 08/12/20) and FT funds shows it as 10.88 so I can have an idea that Aviva are showing something consistent with FT and the FT site shows differing prices for previous days so they are getting updated with price info. The FT pricing is only to 2 decimal places so your total valuation will be a little off with that.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 10th, 2020, 2:42 pm

b0f77 wrote:If you know the fund code (12 digit ISIN code I think) you can look it up on the FT funds site and see historical prices.

For example one of the Aviva funds I have is here:
https://markets.ft.com/data/funds/tears ... 679894:GBP

My Aviva online account shows this fund unit price as 10.8842 today (Tuesday 08/12/20) and FT funds shows it as 10.88 so I can have an idea that Aviva are showing something consistent with FT and the FT site shows differing prices for previous days so they are getting updated with price info. The FT pricing is only to 2 decimal places so your total valuation will be a little off with that.

Thank you, that was helpful. I had been using the number on the website to search for the funds, but the proper isin number is on the fact sheet. But, unfortunately, 3 of the 5 funds I hold have ISIN numbers that the FT site doesn't recognize. What is odd is that if I search for all the Aviva Pension MyM BlackRock funds it finds funds with an exact match on the name, but the ISIN is different, the price is also sensibly similar, but the component part of the fund are also different On the two I can find the price matches. Is there any way to know if the price on the FT website is a live price or a valuation point price?

Heres an ISIN number of one I can't find GB00BF8KRB69

b0f77

Postby b0f77 » December 11th, 2020, 8:19 pm

airbus330 wrote:Is there any way to know if the price on the FT website is a live price or a valuation point price?

I have assumed these FT prices are valuation point prices for these types of funds. For my L&G ones the prices match what is shown on their site. Also, for my funds the open / high / low / close prices are all the same which is an indication of that as there would not normally be live prices for these types of funds like you have for ETFs I think? You could try a search on the SEDOL codes for the funds if you have them. I am no expert on all this I just found the FT site useful to scrape the fund prices into my Google Sheets so I can track my portfolio the lazy way!

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 11th, 2020, 11:06 pm

b0f77 wrote:
airbus330 wrote:Is there any way to know if the price on the FT website is a live price or a valuation point price?

I have assumed these FT prices are valuation point prices for these types of funds. For my L&G ones the prices match what is shown on their site. Also, for my funds the open / high / low / close prices are all the same which is an indication of that as there would not normally be live prices for these types of funds like you have for ETFs I think? You could try a search on the SEDOL codes for the funds if you have them. I am no expert on all this I just found the FT site useful to scrape the fund prices into my Google Sheets so I can track my portfolio the lazy way!

Thanks again. I tried the sedol codes too, with no joy. It's really annoying and is one extra reason tha I'm thinking of transferring out of Aviva. There loss at the end of the day

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”