Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Getting an Accurate State Pension Forecast

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Getting an Accurate State Pension Forecast

Postby Stompa » February 1st, 2021, 12:03 pm

I've got an online state pension forecast which estimates that I will get the full state pension, and my online NI record says that I have 39 years of full contributions. However, for quite a few of those years I was self-employed and as far as I recall only paying Class 4 NI. I assume therefore that the estimate must be inaccurate.

How do I go about getting an accurate one?

I've tried phoning the Future Pension Centre mentioned here:

https://www.gov.uk/future-pension-centre

but they seem permanently engaged. Messages sent via their online form elicit no response whatsoever. Is the only alternative to write them an old fashioned letter?

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Re: Getting an Accurate State Pension Forecast

Postby Sobraon » February 1st, 2021, 1:41 pm

4 years ago both a future pension statement by post which showed the basis of the calculation and the shortfall. Took 2 weeks for mine and 6 months for my wifes.

A further statement last year just shows if you we have a full 'new' pension or a shortfall. The basis of the calculation had disappeared.

I applied *I think* to HMRC about 4 years ago for both our NI records and based on our earning since then I am able to reconcile the figures from our salary, the HMRC statement and the future state pension people. I did this because I got the feeling they had downgraded the communication from the future state pension from a statement to a sort of more indicative of what you might get type letter.

Luckily we are both over the line barring Rishi coming up with another meme worthy policy like 'eat out to help out' :lol: to increase NI.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 1st, 2021, 1:42 pm

Isn't the online Government Gateway account forecast accurate?

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 1st, 2021, 1:50 pm

monabri wrote:Isn't the online Government Gateway account forecast accurate?

Not necessarily.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... forecasts/

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 1st, 2021, 1:54 pm

One further question. Is the written forecast you obtain using form BR19:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -statement

the same as the one you get using their online service? I'm guessing it probably is?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 1st, 2021, 2:21 pm

How much NI do you need to pay in any tax year for it to be a "full" contribution?

Does the addition of several "partial" contributions ever add up to a full contribution, or are they lost (or presumably you can voluntarily pay the "balance" to make it a full contribution?

Sobraon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Sobraon » February 1st, 2021, 2:33 pm

I'm going on my recollection of the list (3- 4 years ago) but I think it said full/part and contracted out/in for each year. This was the list that showed me I had been credited two full years whilst in 6th Form.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 1st, 2021, 5:44 pm

Stompa wrote:I've got an online state pension forecast which estimates that I will get the full state pension, and my online NI record says that I have 39 years of full contributions. However, for quite a few of those years I was self-employed and as far as I recall only paying Class 4 NI.

My understanding is that the self employed pay class 2 if their profits are above the small profit threshold and class 4 if they are above the class 4 limit. I.e. if you paid class 4 you also paid class 2, which is what gets you the qualifying years.

"Most people will pay class 2 National Insurance along with class 4 National Insurance and income tax (in January self-assessment payments)."

https://taxaid.org.uk/guides/information/an-introduction-to-income-tax-national-insurance-and-tax-credits/national-insurance/national-insurance-for-the-self-employed

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » February 1st, 2021, 6:30 pm

mc2fool wrote:My understanding is that the self employed pay class 2 if their profits are above the small profit threshold and class 4 if they are above the class 4 limit. I.e. if you paid class 4 you also paid class 2, which is what gets you the qualifying years.

"Most people will pay class 2 National Insurance along with class 4 National Insurance and income tax (in January self-assessment payments)."

https://taxaid.org.uk/guides/information/an-introduction-to-income-tax-national-insurance-and-tax-credits/national-insurance/national-insurance-for-the-self-employed

You're correct, a check of some pretty old bank statements does indeed show that I was paying Class 2 NI monthly by DD. I think my brain must be in decline as I have absolutely no recollection of doing that.

Thanks so much, panic over!

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”