Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Class 2 or Class 3

jimR

Class 2 or Class 3

Postby jimR » March 20th, 2023, 10:56 am

Hi all

I left the UK 20 years ago.

For years after I continued to pay Class 2 NI contributions until about 7 or so years ago.

I recently registered on Gov.uk, it tells me I have 22 years with full contributions

My questions are:

1: Can I pay voluntary Class 2 contributions to buy 6 years that I've missed?

(On gov.uk it just mentions paying Class 3 contributions for that purpose, no mention of class 2)

2: Can I take up paying class 2 contributions again now to try to build up
the 35 year total eventually?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Moderator Message:
I've moved this topic into Pensions - Practical as it's more appropriate. The OP might want to have a look at previous posts in this board as there are quite a few asking similar questions. Hopefully some specific advice will also be forthcoming. (chas49)

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Re: Class 2 or Class 3

Postby ursaminortaur » March 20th, 2023, 1:05 pm

jimR wrote:Hi all

I left the UK 20 years ago.

For years after I continued to pay Class 2 NI contributions until about 7 or so years ago.

I recently registered on Gov.uk, it tells me I have 22 years with full contributions

My questions are:

(On gov.uk it just mentions paying Class 3 contributions for that purpose, no mention of class 2)

2: Can I take up paying class 2 contributions again now to try to build up
the 35 year total eventually?

Thanks very much for any advice.

Moderator Message:
I've moved this topic into Pensions - Practical as it's more appropriate. The OP might want to have a look at previous posts in this board as there are quite a few asking similar questions. Hopefully some specific advice will also be forthcoming. (chas49)

Class 2 contributions are for the self-employed (if you have only made a small profit - if you made more you would also have to pay class 4 contributions).

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/self-employment/what-national-insurance-do-i-pay-if-i-am-self-employed#:~:text=Class%202%20NIC%20are%20a,2022/23%20tax%20year%20onwards.

I'm no expert on this but I would have expected that that self-employment would have to be in the UK. If wanting to make voluntary contributions when overseas I would expect that you would need to make class 3 contributions.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 20th, 2023, 1:37 pm

jimR wrote:I left the UK 20 years ago.

My questions are:

Not sure where you're seeing that but https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines makes no distinction between the two for that purpose. I think the only possible "gotcha" in your case may be that because you've not paid any for many years you may have fallen out of the system. You could try phoning them to check ... or just send them a cheque with a cover letter listing the years it's for and hope for the best!

jimR wrote:2: Can I take up paying class 2 contributions again now to try to build up the 35 year total eventually?

I don't see why not, except maybe the same as (1), whether you're still in the system or not.

BTW, as I keep on saying on this board: forget the idea that you need 35 years, that's only true for folks that start getting qualifying years from 2016 onwards. For anyone with pre-2016 years it's more complicated, possibly needing less than 35 or more than 35 to get the full new state pension, or possibly not being able to get it at all, irrespective of how many years they've got.

If the online forecast isn't clear I can figure it out for your case but I'll need some more info. From your online state pension forecast (and the associated NI record page) let me know:

a) The £ amount of the "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2022"? (Not he big headline figure!)
b) The tax year you will reach state pension age.
c) The number of non-qualifying years (i.e. not filled) between 2006/7 and 2015/16, inclusive.

and if the answer to (c) isn't zero

d) Your COPE -- Contracted Out Pension Equivalent -- if you have one (it's lower down the main page)
e) The number of qualifying years you have up to and including 2015/16.
f) The number of qualifying years you have from 2016/17 onwards, inclusive.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 20th, 2023, 1:39 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:Class 2 contributions are for the self-employed (if you have only made a small profit - if you made more you would also have to pay class 4 contributions).

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/self-employment/what-national-insurance-do-i-pay-if-i-am-self-employed#:~:text=Class%202%20NIC%20are%20a,2022/23%20tax%20year%20onwards.

I'm no expert on this but I would have expected that that self-employment would have to be in the UK. If wanting to make voluntary contributions when overseas I would expect that you would need to make class 3 contributions.

I can confirm you are no expert on this. :D https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » March 20th, 2023, 1:57 pm

mc2fool wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:Class 2 contributions are for the self-employed (if you have only made a small profit - if you made more you would also have to pay class 4 contributions).

I can confirm you are no expert on this. :D https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions

Ok, I'm surprised by this as I thought that you would have to register as self-employed to be eligible to just pay class 2 contributions and that would require the self-employment to be in the UK. But obviously I'm wrong.

jimR

Postby jimR » March 20th, 2023, 2:54 pm

Moderator Message:

Thanks for moving it to somewhere better.

Thanks for your reply, I was paying class 2 and 4 in the UK but then just class 2 after that.

jimR

Postby jimR » March 20th, 2023, 3:01 pm

mc2fool wrote:Not sure where you're seeing that but removedurl makes no distinction between the two for that purpose.

In the place where you can check your contributions, if I click on a recent year, that is "not full" I see this:

You did not make any contributions this year
Find out more about gaps in your record and how to check them.
You can make up the shortfall
Pay a voluntary contribution of £824.20 by 5 April 2023. This shortfall may increase after 15 May 2023.
Find out more about voluntary contributions.

mc2fool wrote:
BTW, as I keep on saying on this board: forget the idea that you need 35 years, that's only true for folks that start getting qualifying years from 2016 onwards. For anyone with pre-2016 years it's more complicated, possibly needing less than 35 or more than 35 to get the full new state pension, or possibly not being able to get it at all, irrespective of how many years they've got.

If the online forecast isn't clear I can figure it out for your case but I'll need some more info. From your online state pension forecast (and the associated NI record page) let me know:

a) The £ amount of the "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2022"? (Not he big headline figure!)
b) The tax year you will reach state pension age.
c) The number of non-qualifying years (i.e. not filled) between 2006/7 and 2015/16, inclusive.

d) Your COPE -- Contracted Out Pension Equivalent -- if you have one (it's lower down the main page)
e) The number of qualifying years you have up to and including 2015/16.
f) The number of qualifying years you have from 2016/17 onwards, inclusive.

Thanks very much mc2fool, I'd be very grateful if you could give me your calculation from the figures below!

a) The £ amount of the "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2022"? : £116.38 a week
b) The tax year you will reach state pension age. 2032/2033
c) The number of non-qualifying years (i.e. not filled) between 2006/7 and 2015/16, inclusive. 3

d) Your COPE -- Contracted Out Pension Equivalent -- if you have one (it's lower down the main page) : Don't have one
Note : I have a small pension that is frozen or whatever the term used was from contributions in the 80s and 90s, not heard a peep about since then
e) The number of qualifying years you have up to and including 2015/16. 22
f) The number of qualifying years you have from 2016/17 onwards, inclusive. 0

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » March 20th, 2023, 5:11 pm

jimR wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Not sure where you're seeing that but removedurl makes no distinction between the two for that purpose.

In the place where you can check your contributions, if I click on a recent year, that is "not full" I see this:
You did not make any contributions this year
Find out more about gaps in your record and how to check them.
You can make up the shortfall
Pay a voluntary contribution of £824.20 by 5 April 2023. This shortfall may increase after 15 May 2023.
Find out more about voluntary contributions.

Hmmm...does that ever offer voluntary class 2 NICs? I don't know, maybe someone who does can comment. BTW, the deadline for any voluntary NICs that was due to expire this 5 April has been extended to 31 July. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38273

mc2fool wrote:Thanks very much mc2fool, I'd be very grateful if you could give me your calculation from the figures below!

a) The £ amount of the "Estimate based on your National Insurance record up to 5 April 2022"? : £116.38 a week
b) The tax year you will reach state pension age. 2032/2033
c) The number of non-qualifying years (i.e. not filled) between 2006/7 and 2015/16, inclusive. 3

d) Your COPE -- Contracted Out Pension Equivalent -- if you have one (it's lower down the main page) : Don't have one
Note : I have a small pension that is frozen or whatever the term used was from contributions in the 80s and 90s, not heard a peep about since then
e) The number of qualifying years you have up to and including 2015/16. 22
f) The number of qualifying years you have from 2016/17 onwards, inclusive. 0

Ok, yours is actually a simple case (a) 'cos you have no COPE and (b) 'cos you don't have any 2016/17 onwards years. The "starting amount" that goes into the new state pension as of 6-Apr-2016 for you is the higher of what you'd have got under the old scheme and what you'd have got under the new one if it had always been in existence at that date, less and adjustment for being contracted out (the COPE). This calculation is done in 2016 figures, which is what HMRC & DWP will talk in if you ever have to contact them about it, so that's the way we'll do it. So...

2016 Old State Pension (30 years): £119.30 per week.
2016 New State Pension (35 years): £155.65 per week. For 2022/3 it's £185.15pw.

We'll start by back calculating your starting amount at 6-Apr-2016 in 2016 figures from your current amount, of £116.38 (you'll see why in a minute) which, as you've had no additional years since, we do simply by reducing it by the increases since. So, that's £116.38 * (£155.65/£185.15) = £97.84.

Now, up to 5-Apr-2016 you have 22 qualifying years. Your entitlement under the new system (had it always been in existence) at that date would be (22 / 35) * £155.65 = £97.84 minus your COPE, which is zero, so £97.84 would be the (2016) figure under the new system, and as that matches the back calculated figure your "starting amount" must have come from the new system figure, being higher.

Knowing that, we don't need to calculate what it was under the old system but we'll do it anyway, just for the heck of it! Under the old system at 5-Apr-2016 you'd have had (22 / 30) * £119.30 = £87.49 plus any Additional State Pension you'd earned. So, we can conclude that any ASP you had would have been no more than £10.35 (£97.84-£87.49) or you'd have had a bigger starting amount than the £97.84.

Now, the practical upshot of this is that as (a) your starting amount is from the new system calculation and (b) you have no COPE, then 35 years is what you need for the full state pension! (We actually could have derived that simply from (a) and (e)+(f) but the above is the fuller calculation. ;))

Further, it (almost) doesn't matter which years you fill to get there; you have 13 years to add and the 3 pre-2016 years, the 6 years 2016/17 to 2021/22, the current year, and the 9 years from 2023/24 to 2031/32 will each add the same amount to your pension (currently £5.29pw), so from that point of view it doesn't matter which 13 of those 19 years you fill.

The "almost" is 'cos class 2 NICs are frozen in price for 1 year and class 3 for 2, so it's a little cheaper to fill those than other years (and that's an ongoing consideration), and there is the logistical matter of your 4 years up to and including 2016/17 must be filled before the extended deadline of 31 July. So, there's your choices.... :D

jimR

Postby jimR » March 20th, 2023, 5:46 pm

mc2fool wrote:Ok, yours is actually a simple case (a) 'cos you have no COPE and (b) 'cos you don't have any 2016/17 onwards years. The "starting amount" that goes into the new state pension as of 6-Apr-2016 for you is the higher of what you'd have got under the old scheme and what you'd have got under the new one if it had always been in existence at that date, less and adjustment for being contracted out (the COPE). This calculation is done in 2016 figures, which is what HMRC & DWP will talk in if you ever have to contact them about it, so that's the way we'll do it. So...

2016 Old State Pension (30 years): £119.30 per week.
2016 New State Pension (35 years): £155.65 per week. For 2022/3 it's £185.15pw.

We'll start by back calculating your starting amount at 6-Apr-2016 in 2016 figures from your current amount, of £116.38 (you'll see why in a minute) which, as you've had no additional years since, we do simply by reducing it by the increases since. So, that's £116.38 * (£155.65/£185.15) = £97.84.

Now, up to 5-Apr-2016 you have 22 qualifying years. Your entitlement under the new system (had it always been in existence) at that date would be (22 / 35) * £155.65 = £97.84 minus your COPE, which is zero, so £97.84 would be the (2016) figure under the new system, and as that matches the back calculated figure your "starting amount" must have come from the new system figure, being higher.

Knowing that, we don't need to calculate what it was under the old system but we'll do it anyway, just for the heck of it! Under the old system at 5-Apr-2016 you'd have had (22 / 30) * £119.30 = £87.49 plus any Additional State Pension you'd earned. So, we can conclude that any ASP you had would have been no more than £10.35 (£97.84-£87.49) or you'd have had a bigger starting amount than the £97.84.

Now, the practical upshot of this is that as (a) your starting amount is from the new system calculation and (b) you have no COPE, then 35 years is what you need for the full state pension! (We actually could have derived that simply from (a) and (e)+(f) but the above is the fuller calculation. ;))

Further, it (almost) doesn't matter which years you fill to get there; you have 13 years to add and the 3 pre-2016 years, the 6 years 2016/17 to 2021/22, the current year, and the 9 years from 2023/24 to 2031/32 will each add the same amount to your pension (currently £5.29pw), so from that point of view it doesn't matter which 13 of those 19 years you fill.

The "almost" is 'cos class 2 NICs are frozen in price for 1 year and class 3 for 2, so it's a little cheaper to fill those than other years (and that's an ongoing consideration), and there is the logistical matter of your 4 years up to and including 2016/17 must be filled before the extended deadline of 31 July. So, there's your choices.... :D

Wow! That's a brilliant explanation. It's great to understand how it's worked out. Thank you very much!

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”