Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Pension Provider Processing time

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Pension Provider Processing time

Postby airbus330 » December 1st, 2023, 1:47 pm

I'd be curious to know how long your pension platform or provider takes to process a request for drawdown withdrawal.

For example, part of my DC scheme is with Aviva. Their published processing time to get funds into your bank account is 22 Working Days. That time is from the receipt of signed documents, which in itself takes about 3 days if done electronically. They also seem to take the entire Christmas and New Year off. So, my request for a drawdown was received by them on the 22nd. November and including the hols, they estimate I'll get the money on January 18th.
I think this delay is unacceptable and am looking into moving, but there is little point if they are all the same.
Thanks in advance.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Pension Provider Processing time

Postby swill453 » December 1st, 2023, 1:56 pm

To clarify, is this a simple drawdown request from crystallised funds, or a request for crystallisation, receipt of tax-free cash etc.?

Scott.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » December 1st, 2023, 2:49 pm

My experience with Fidelity....
- Contacted them on 27 Sep. They informed me there was a blick out period until 16 Oct.
- Submitted forms online on 16 Oct
- Funds received in my account on 26 Oct

elkay

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 1st, 2023, 5:23 pm

swill453 wrote:To clarify, is this a simple drawdown request from crystallised funds, or a request for crystallisation, receipt of tax-free cash etc.?

Scott.

In this particular case, it was a request for a 1st. Flexi Access Drawdown from Uncrystallised funds in a DC scheme, taking the tax free element and leaving the remainder invested in a Drawdown scheme with the same provider. Does the type of transaction make a difference?
My previous UFPLS drawdowns have worked on the same 22 wday schedule.
Last edited by airbus330 on December 1st, 2023, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 1st, 2023, 5:25 pm

elkay wrote:My experience with Fidelity....
- Contacted them on 27 Sep. They informed me there was a blick out period until 16 Oct.
- Submitted forms online on 16 Oct
- Funds received in my account on 26 Oct

elkay

Did the give a reason for the Block out? That sounds potentially very inconvenient.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 1st, 2023, 5:40 pm

airbus330 wrote:In this particular case, it was a request for a 1st. Flexi Access Drawdown from Uncrystallised funds in a DC scheme, taking the tax free element and leaving the remainder invested in a Drawdown scheme with the same provider. Does the type of transaction make a difference?

Just that I imagine a BCE (benefit crystallisation event) would involve more back-office work than a simple taxable drawdown.

Though looking back at my records of withdrawing from my AJBell SIPP, neither type seems to take more than a week from submission to the money hitting my bank account.

Scott.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 1st, 2023, 7:45 pm

swill453 wrote:
airbus330 wrote:In this particular case, it was a request for a 1st. Flexi Access Drawdown from Uncrystallised funds in a DC scheme, taking the tax free element and leaving the remainder invested in a Drawdown scheme with the same provider. Does the type of transaction make a difference?

Just that I imagine a BCE (benefit crystallisation event) would involve more back-office work than a simple taxable drawdown.

Though looking back at my records of withdrawing from my AJBell SIPP, neither type seems to take more than a week from submission to the money hitting my bank account.

Scott.

Well done Scott. My recollection is that pulling crystallised funds from AJB is pretty much return of post, but a BCE was more of the 22 wday experience, but things do change. First time around BCE required a wet signature, so that certainly wasn't quick.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » December 2nd, 2023, 12:05 pm

airbus330 wrote:
swill453 wrote:To clarify, is this a simple drawdown request from crystallised funds, or a request for crystallisation, receipt of tax-free cash etc.?

Scott.

In this particular case, it was a request for a 1st. Flexi Access Drawdown from Uncrystallised funds in a DC scheme, taking the tax free element and leaving the remainder invested in a Drawdown scheme with the same provider. Does the type of transaction make a difference?

My 1st withdrawal from Uncrystallised funds was April 22 and took exactly 4 weeks.

airbus330 wrote:Did the give a reason for the Block out? That sounds potentially very inconvenient.

I didn't ask this time, as I wasn't in a particular hurry. There was also a block out period on my second withdrawal, where they did give a reason but I can't recall what it was. So it does appear to be a regular occurrence.

regards
elkay

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » December 2nd, 2023, 12:11 pm

PS, according to Bard...
Fidelity blackout dates are periods of time during which participants in certain Fidelity-administered retirement plans are not allowed to make changes to their investments. These dates are typically in place to prevent participants from making impulsive decisions based on market fluctuations.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » December 2nd, 2023, 1:01 pm

elkay wrote:PS, according to Bard...
Fidelity blackout dates are periods of time during which participants in certain Fidelity-administered retirement plans are not allowed to make changes to their investments. These dates are typically in place to prevent participants from making impulsive decisions based on market fluctuations.

Protection for the rash withdrawal or change is laudable but hardly desirable if you are a more knowledgeable investor. It touches on why I am so annoyed with Aviva. My funds are at AT highs and a withdrawal right now is when I want to do it, not in 4 weeks time when the euphoria (may) subside.
Thanks for the info :D

TallInvestor

Postby TallInvestor » December 19th, 2023, 3:13 pm

II typically take 5 working days from request to payment from a SIPP, but they say to allow 15. I have not noticed a difference between crystallised and uncrystallised processing times.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”