Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Can I transfer an international pension scheme to a UK SIPP?

Andrea

Can I transfer an international pension scheme to a UK SIPP?

Postby Andrea » April 25th, 2024, 3:41 pm

I have a “pre A-day” and a “post A-day” pension schemes in addition to a standard UK SIPP. As in all likelihood I will be retiring in the UK and I don’t need access to the funds before the normal minimum pension age such schemes are effectively of no benefit to me. Does anybody know if it would be possible to transfer such schemes to a UK SIPP? I am contemplating doing so to increase investment flexibility, cut charges and, most importantly, be able to access the funds flexibly as supposed to taking either an annuity or a lump sum. Many thanks

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can I transfer an international pension scheme to a UK SIPP?

Postby BullDog » April 25th, 2024, 4:20 pm

This is what Google says.

It is often possible to transfer an overseas pension to the UK, but the rules vary by the origin country and type of pension being transferred. In some cases, it may be better to draw down money from the overseas pension into a local bank account, and transfer or withdraw that money in the UK.

Transferring an overseas pension to the UK might depend on:

1 Whether it’s an eligible ROPS pension scheme

2 Whether a UK pension provider is willing to accept the transfer

3 The specific transfer rules of the origin country

So, I think it's a case of speaking to your potential SIPP provider, telling them exactly what you have and seeing what they say.

Return to “Pensions - Practical Problems”