Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Intestacy: when a baby inherits a house

including wills and probate
MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Intestacy: when a baby inherits a house

Postby MyNameIsUrl » April 16th, 2024, 5:47 pm

A young man dies without a will, having lived with his partner but not married, with a small baby. He owns a mortgaged house in his name only.

I’m a family friend, trying to help with some of the admin. I googled intestacy rules, and as I understand it the baby inherits the house, but trustees manage the estate on its behalf. This situation doesn’t sound like it’s suitable for diy, and I’m not asking for any detailed how-to advice, but can someone please give me a steer what to put on my to-do list?

What sort of professional help do we need, who do I need to contact to move this forward, who would be a trustee for the next 18 years? I’m a friend of the young man’s parents and we are probably all too old to last that long.

I believe there is a mortgage protection insurance policy, are there likely to be any circumstances when it doesn’t pay out? How do we ensure the mother has the right to live in the house with her baby? Is it really the case that she can’t use the young man’s bank account to continue to pay the bills, that his car has to be sold and the proceeds put in trust? She’s on maternity leave, what will she live on?

Of course my problem is that I don’t know what I don’t know, so any suggestions to put on my list are welcome.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Intestacy: when a baby inherits a house

Postby Mike4 » April 16th, 2024, 6:24 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I believe there is a mortgage protection insurance policy, are there likely to be any circumstances when it doesn’t pay out?

I suspect not. The policy is likely to have been required by the lender, and they will have wanted to approve the terms of the policy to protect their interests. I can imagine (but don't know for sure) that ordinary life insurance might not pay out in the death was suicide, but for a mortgage protection policy I doubt even that would be an exclusion. IANAL though, which is what I think you need to start with.

I can't help with the main thrust of your questions but I must say what a terrible situation this is for the mother and partner. And how good of you to try to help out.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » April 16th, 2024, 6:37 pm

MyNameIsUrl wrote:What sort of professional help do we need, who do I need to contact to move this forward, who would be a trustee for the next 18 years?

The mother has parental responsibility for the child, and can therefore be administrator of the estate in the child's stead. I can't imagine there will be a problem with her being trustee of the child's inheritance, but you really need to find a solicitor to guide you through this. For example, I don't know to whom /how the title of the house will be transferred.

MyNameIsUrl wrote:I believe there is a mortgage protection insurance policy, are there likely to be any circumstances when it doesn’t pay out?

It'll be bog standard life insurance. Normal declarations, normal caveats.

MyNameIsUrl wrote: How do we ensure the mother has the right to live in the house with her baby?

Who is to object? I suspect that she will be fully entitled, but I don't know.

MyNameIsUrl wrote:Is it really the case that she can’t use the young man’s bank account to continue to pay the bills, that his car has to be sold and the proceeds put in trust? She’s on maternity leave, what will she live on?

Ask the bank. The baby is entitled to the money, she is the baby's guardian, Unless there is a lot there, they'll probably release the cash - but the account, and its associated DDs etc, will fall. Bank's bereavement departments have seen it all.

Why would she sell the car? It will be the child's , but it is clearly for the child's benefit that it be kept. Insuring it might be a bit odd - she would be the keeper, but the car would belong to the child.

As to living expenses - maternity pay? Best bet for benefits is to talk to Citizens Advice.

Now is not the time to raise this, but come 18, the child will be absolutely entitled to the estate.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » April 16th, 2024, 7:36 pm

The assumption here is that the mother has no entitlement to anything from the estate.

The reality is that she is probably a dependent, and could probably use the "Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975" (see https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1975/63 ) to ensure that sufficient provision is made.

If they had been living together for more than 2 years, living as if married in all but name, then section 1A would apply, which would probably be a lot easier to prove than section 1(e).

In any case, this needs a solicitor who knows what they are doing - as whatever happens needs the consent of the court. and the "legally obvious" solution (money in a trust for the child, with mother as trustee). The Official Solicitor might get involved as well (on behalf of the child) if there is any conflict of interest between the mother and the child (hard to see myself, as generally acting in the mother's interest is also acting in the child's interest, at least in the early years).

PochiSoldi

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 16th, 2024, 10:24 pm

What a sad situation.

Under the Intestacy Rules that apply when somebody dies without having made a Will the man’s entire estate would pass to his son. However, as the son is a minor the estate would have to be held in trust for him until he reaches the age of 18.

In practical terms there will need to be a grant of `Letters of Administration' in order for the estate to be managed.
As there is no Will, and therefore no executors, the court will appoint one or more `administrators'.

The right to apply for Letters of Administration adopts essentially the same priority as the Intestacy Rules, i.e. the right to apply vests in the nearest next of kin.

In this particular situation the nearest next of kin is the man’s child. However, because he is a minor the grant has to be taken out by the person having parental responsibility for him. In this case that would obviously be his mother.

Where there is a minor beneficiary involved there must be at least two administrators, and Rule 32 (3) of the Non-Contentious Probate Rules 1987 provides that in this situation the mother can nominate someone to be their co-administrator.

Without knowing anything about the family dynamics it might be sensible to appoint one or more of the child’s grandparents as the co-administrator(s). As the deceased is described as being young it would imply that his parents may only be in their 50s. As the trusteeship would last until the child’s 18th birthday they would still probably be only in their 70s at that point, so they would not be considered too old to accept such an appointment.

There are always inherent difficulties where trustees have an interest in the estate, and in this type of situation there is obviously a potential conflict of interest between the mother and the child. However, at least for the foreseeable future, the mother’s interests would appear to be fairly closely aligned with those of the child, so hopefully there would be no significant problems.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » April 17th, 2024, 10:54 am

Another sad situation. I know of a similar one except there was no life insurance in that instance which made things tricky.

I think a lot will depend on the families involved. Hopefully they can all agree along the same lines to assist the partner and child moving forward. If that is the case then things should progress fairly smoothly.

In my instance there were some differences of opinion and a bit of a power struggle over control of some finances. There were some funds raised to aid the family but then how that should be spent caused tensions.

I think it would be to talk about the way forward and how to deal with what ifs.

I assume the mortgage can be resolved, will there be any spare. Discus finances with the partner. Benefits and or working in the future. Which is all fine when the children are young.

It might get more complicated as they become teens. Teens are all about me anyway. How to deal with a teen that want to evict mummy or sell the house to buy a sports car etc.

Hopefully cool heads can prevail

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 17th, 2024, 5:59 pm

IANAL, but here's a thought process that might be relevant. Fully detached from the personal sad situation, as that's unlikely to be legally relevant in itself ...

1. If the man were alive, he'd have responsibilities towards his baby, regardless of how things stood with the mother.
2. Since he's not alive,
(a) the mother has sole parental responsibility
(b) he won't agree an arrangement for child support with her.

If he were alive and both (a) and (b) prevailed, surely the Child Support Agency would become arbiter of an arrangement for him to support her? In other words, she has a claim on his assets. So, what does his death lose her? Obviously she's lost his capacity to earn, but can she really also have lost all her rights against his assets such as they are?

Oh, and for the mother to be trustee of anything might be a Bad Idea, leading to tensions when the baby is a stroppy teenager. Trustees would be something for her to hide behind.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”