Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

What can be done without Letters of Administration

including wills and probate
Geoman

What can be done without Letters of Administration

Postby Geoman » April 4th, 2018, 11:39 am

I'm back again with more questions.

My sister's estate is becoming more complex by the day. Due to the involvement of the coroner it's going to be some time before we get a death certificate. In addition there is her husband (the sole beneficiary) with advanced Alzheimer's in a home. Very little is known about his family history but he did change his name at some point (possibly adoption)

What can be done with an interim certificate (other than the funeral)? And what can be done without an administrator being appointed?

Can we even start advising people (banks, utilities, pensions etc) of her death or do we need to wait for death certificates (another 4 weeks or so)?

At the moment my plans are limited to collating all the financial documents and making a spreadsheet summary, ready for an administrator to take on.

Thanks

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: What can be done without Letters of Administration

Postby chas49 » April 4th, 2018, 12:04 pm

The "Interim Certificate as to the Fact Of Death" is sufficient for you to notify any relevant organisations of the death. You do not need to wait for the full certificate. It may well be some weeks or even longer before the inquest. You should also be able to use the interim certificate to apply for probate/letters of administration.

Life insurance companies (if relevant) may want the full certificate before paying out - depending on what the probable cause of death is stated to be on the interim certificate.

Geoman

Re: What can be done without Letters of Administration

Postby Geoman » April 4th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Thanks chas49.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”