Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Electricity - Wayleave Payment

including wills and probate
JessUK98
Lemon Slice

Electricity - Wayleave Payment

Postby JessUK98 » April 21st, 2018, 4:09 pm

I’ve just received a letter from a company called Sherwill Drake Forbes, asking me if I’d like to instruct them to negotiate a new wayleave agreement with the local electricity company. The letter actually includes the title number for my property and references a previous 20 year wayleave I was completely unaware of (I’ve been here just over 15 years).

There is no low voltage pole on my property (there looks like there has been one in the past). There is one on the other side of my wall, on the street (my garden is across the road from my house). There are cables from another pole that pass over my garden, attach to this pole and then attach to the side of my house, which then feeds other houses in the street.

They say that if my claim is unsuccessful I won’t owe anything, but if it is then they get 20% commission plus VAT (so i’d get 76% of whatever the payment is).

The company seem reputable, but is it something worth bothering with? To be honest, it’s not something that I’ve ever thought about.

TIA, Jess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Electricity - Wayleave Payment

Postby staffordian » April 21st, 2018, 8:34 pm

If electricity cables cross your property, regardless of whether poles are actually planted in your ground, then I believe there might be an obligation on the part of the power company to compensate you.

Eg

https://www.teeslaw.com/do-unsightly-wi ... -after-all

Whether it's something you can organise for yourself without incurring this 20% loss, perhaps others can advise.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”