Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Telecoms mast

including wills and probate
ClaudiusTheIdiot
Lemon Pip

Telecoms mast

Postby ClaudiusTheIdiot » April 29th, 2018, 1:02 am

Almost six weeks ago plans for a communications mast were submitted to the planning authority in an English national park. Just over two weeks later the mast was erected. Up to the present no decision on the application is shown on the planning web site.

The accompanying letter states "XX benefits from permitted development rights for this development as set out under the above order. XX and YY are required to apply to the local planning authority for a determination as to whether the prior approval of the authority will be required to the siting and appearance of the development set out below.

"Proposed 12m High Hutchinson replica Telegraph Pole on a 2.25 x 2.25 x 1.0m dp concrete pad foundation and associated works."

I don't want to dispute the need for the equipment, or its location. It's not near a house. It is near a public access area, where its visual impact is significant over a limited area.

The application includes: "Given the sensitivity of this area and the heavy safeguarding by the <> Authority the very best (from a visual perspective) and lowest design possible has been proposed..." and "...seeks to minimise its visual impact on the National Park (set away from visual sensitive receptors and using the existing screening from trees)"

What riles me a little is the contrast between the application and reality. It's a cylindrical mast with standard mobile phone antennas. The north and east elevations clearly show it within a group of trees. It isn't. The antennas, which are a prominent feature at the top, are not drawn but are just indicated by writing on the drawings. It's described as brown but is the normal metallic grey. Cabinets and concrete blocks at the base are the standard industrial pale grey, but could have been made less conspicuous in colour (as could the mast and the antennas I think). The units at the base are not screened. There was a diesel generator running when I looked at the site, with noise and fumes on the nearby public access area. It's indicated on the drawings, but there's no environmental impact statement. I think mains power will be installed.

It is possible to make such equipment less intrusive - I've noticed a few examples in the last week.

I assume the mast will remain, but would like to make the phone company and/or the planning authority uncomfortable so that they put more effort into the visual design in future, and perhaps improve this installation. I submitted an objection to the planning authority a week after the mast was erected, citing the reasons described above, with more details and with photos. Is there anything more that I can do from a legal perspective?

Thanks for any suggestions.

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Re: Telecoms mast

Postby bionichamster » April 29th, 2018, 10:57 am

If you want to make them uncomfortable, make some FOI requests for information I.e. minutes of any meetings where it was discussed, copies of any reports considering the application and any additional supporting info. If you know which councillors or officials were involved than FOI any correspondence they had regarding the application.

Then read through them and see if anything looks incorrect, misleading, missing or generally fishy. Then start asking questions about those things, (by FOI if they are evasive). If the information provided seems to be sparse, start asking what the procedures are and what ‘should’ be on record and if it’s not there then start asking about where it is and why. If anyone has done anything the shouldn't have this will at the very least make them sweat a bit.

My own experience from the other angle is it’s the persistent folk who keep pressing the buttons who either get something done or cause enough panic that next time those involved might think twice about sloppily rushing things (or taking backhanders…. If that is what has happened).

Good luck
BH

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » April 29th, 2018, 11:14 am

Is it a mobile phone mast, or something else (such as emergency services TETRA or railway signalling).

regards, dspp

ClaudiusTheIdiot
Lemon Pip

Postby ClaudiusTheIdiot » April 29th, 2018, 12:17 pm

from the Site Specific Supplementary Information: "...this installation is critical for the ESN (Emergency Service Network) programme. This installation is a site share for XX [telecoms company] and ESN and has the potential for H3G LTE (XX and ESN only at the moment)."

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 29th, 2018, 1:07 pm

ESN will eventually replace Airwave TETRA as the emergency services comms network. It sits atop EE's 4G

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”