Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Returning faulty item

including wills and probate
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Returning faulty item

Postby GrandOiseau » July 6th, 2018, 2:11 pm

My wife bought a small ticket item, namely a roasting tin, in the new year sales, from Sainsburys. The coating has come away in a couple of places.

We don't have a receipt and when I went to return it today the lady says they need the receipt or some evidence of the date it was purchased. I believe they have some policy about items more than 12 months old.

Do I have any legal recourse? My understanding was I didn't need a receipt if the item is faulty but I understand also it's not quite that simple. Any advice?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Returning faulty item

Postby Itsallaguess » July 6th, 2018, 2:13 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:
My wife bought a small ticket item, namely a roasting tin, in the new year sales, from Sainsburys. The coating has come away in a couple of places.

We don't have a receipt and when I went to return it today the lady says they need the receipt or some evidence of the date it was purchased. I believe they have some policy about items more than 12 months old.

Do I have any legal recourse? My understanding was I didn't need a receipt if the item is faulty but I understand also it's not quite that simple. Any advice?

I'd expect Sainsburys to accept a credit-card or banking record as a record of purchase, in the absence of a receipt.

Is that available in a way that highlights this specific purchase?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » July 6th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
GrandOiseau wrote:

I'd expect Sainsburys to accept a credit-card or banking record as a record of purchase, in the absence of a receipt.

Is that available in a way that highlights this specific purchase?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I did ask this and she was non-commital. I think the problem would be that the receipt would just be a generic Sainsburys payment - they'd be no way to say it was for this particularly item. One other option I considered. We have a Nectar card. Do they record all individual purchased against that I wonder. I know there was a lot of talk of loyalty cards being used to collect data on you but of course they are always reluctant to confirm or deny what they do in this regard.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » July 6th, 2018, 4:19 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:My understanding was I didn't need a receipt if the item is faulty but I understand also it's not quite that simple

My understanding* is that you don't need a receipt as such but you do need to be able to prove^ that you bought the item from them, and (approximately?) when.

HTH

Chas49

^If it's an own brand item (or one only they sell), then you've jumped that hurdle. Otherwise, a statement for the right amount would be persuasive. A statement for a larger amount probably isn't proof - but they might accept it.

*IANAL/DYOR etc.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 6th, 2018, 5:54 pm

GrandOiseau wrote:
One other option I considered. We have a Nectar card. Do they record all individual purchased against that I wonder.

I know there was a lot of talk of loyalty cards being used to collect data on you but of course they are always reluctant to confirm or deny what they do in this regard.

I think that sounds like much harder work to get there than a standard credit-card or bank statement, and the law of diminishing returns might kick in at this point of that particular investigation.

With a retailer playing hard-ball like this, where you'd expect them to bend a little purely to keep you onside, I'd perhaps start thinking about this bloke I know who'd maybe just go and buy another roasting tin that's exactly the same from Sainsbury's, make sure to keep the receipt this time, and then take the faulty one back in a month or so....

I'd never personally promote such an idea, of course, but this bloke I know really well would, and in this particular situation, where you're being 100% honest and coming up against a resistant retailer, who's to say he'd be wrong to consider it?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 6th, 2018, 6:09 pm

As most normal people don't keep receipts for trivial amounts of expenditure it's unreasonable of Sainsbury's to insist on one, though some evidence would be helpful if it exists at all.

However, this is the situation in many legal claims, and very often the only evidence is a statement from the party involved.

As you know you bought it in the New Year sales you can probably, with a little effort, work out the exact date. It would be worth checking your statements to see if there's an item showing you spending money at Sainsbury's on that day.

All you would then need in legal terms is a statement saying that you bought the tray on [say] 4 January, and you can be sure of the date having referred to the statement; that the tray is clearly faulty as the coating has detached; that it shouldn't have deteriorated in such a short time, so that the tray is not of satisfactory quality as required by the Consumer Rights Act 2015; that Sainsbury's are consequently in breach of contract; and that you are accordingly entitled to a replacement.

I'd hope that this could be dealt with verbally at their customer service department in the store - it's difficult to see them arguing the toss over such a trivial matter, but if the assistant says no receipt no refund you should insist on seeing the manager, who I'm sure would allow the claim.

If not then come back.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » July 7th, 2018, 12:28 am

Thanks all.

I can find the transaction on the CC statement so I may give that a whirl.

The missus had the idea about buying another and using that receipt to get a refund. That would be good if it was just a "faulty batch" which online reviews suggest it might be (as one person had the same problem but others didn't).

Interestingly the wife she once went back to Tesco without a receipt. They asked her for the last 4 digits of the CC and the day of purchase. Five minutes later they came back with a full blown copy of the receipt which she was then able to use to garner a refund. Not sure if there is a time limit on that. She said it was about a month later on this occasion.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » July 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm

The missus took it in and bartered some more. Got a "goodwill" credit note.

I've never been that persuasive!

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”