Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Who is responsible for advising purchasers that a road is private/unadopted?

including wills and probate
Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Who is responsible for advising purchasers that a road is private/unadopted?

Postby Mike88 » August 12th, 2018, 12:20 pm

johnhemming wrote:There are two separate financial issues.

One is the one off capital cost of bringing roads up to a standard.

The second is the continuing maintenance cost.

You might be able to negotiate with the local authority that if you and your neighbours ensure the road is brought up to standard then the council takes over the maintenance.

The problem here is that the standard is set by the local authority and I know just from the cost of having a footway crossing that their requirements are very high. I don't think it's as easy as filling in a few potholes.

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Who is responsible for advising purchasers that a road is private/unadopted?

Postby johnhemming » August 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Mike88 wrote:The problem here is that the standard is set by the local authority and I know just from the cost of having a footway crossing that their requirements are very high. I don't think it's as easy as filling in a few potholes.

I think you are right about this. They would be quite picky about what was involved in getting the road adopted. However, there is always the question as to what happens in the mean time.

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”