Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

stopping someone from phoning

including wills and probate
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: stopping someone from phoning

Postby PinkDalek » July 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm

I got confused between the ECs and the ERs. No-one is asking for more detail btw.

Good luck with it anyway.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 4:02 pm

I, too, would be interested to know what happens at the caller's end. Are they told their calls have been blocked? Who knows, we may be the unwanted callers one day and need to get the message.

However annoying ER might be, I hope someone is keeping an eye on him/her and offering assistance when needed. People cannot help having dementia. It will happen to most of us at some point. I'm probably well on the way myself.

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » July 25th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Hi Boulveversee,

I've just tried it by barring my mobile 'phone from calling my landline 'phone. Please remember that my system works on the Panasonic handsets I have, and other than requiring Caller Display, is not dependant on the exchange settings.

Initially I received a few bursts of ring tone. These were followed by a few bursts of engaged tone, which in turn was followed by silence for a few seconds, and then three or four bips of tone as if one was connected to an answering machine. The landline 'phones did not ring, yet the number appeared on the incoming call log as being barred.

Incidently, it is very easy to set up call barring on this system, ie, in the OP's case, it would be possible, if desired, to answer the first call, and then to set barring say for the next hour or until such time as the caller gives up calling: this can easily be determined by checking the incoming call log. At this point, the barring can then be removed.

HTH,

ten0rman

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » July 25th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Many thanks. Was the caller (you in this case) able to leave a message?

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » July 26th, 2018, 9:40 am

Many thanks. Was the caller (you in this case) able to leave a message?

Didn't even try, so I don't know if it is possible or not.

1) FWIW, I have just tried Call Minder and there is no indication of any message (Call Minder usually states that Number "so&so" called "whenever", and didn't leave a message). I have also checked with the Panasonic system, and again there is no indication of any message. Having said that, despite having had this system for a long time, I've never used its internal messaging system.

2) I have now deliberately tried to leave a message on the Panasonic system. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it didn't work.

So the overall answer is that it appears with my setup that messages cannot be left by barred numbers. Which given the OP's request etc, might not be a bad thing.

Cheers,

ten0rman

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » July 26th, 2018, 9:53 am

PinkDalek wrote:does the caller's family/friends/carer also have the elderly couple's phone number, in case they need to get in touch.
If there are such people, can the ER not let them know the situation?

They could dial 141 first thus bypassing the call blocking. (Assuming whatever blocking you choose is set only to block ER specifically, not everything unknown)

Another option no-one has mentioned yet. Change your phone number. I am guessing the dementia ER has the old number permanently etched into their brain, which is why they keep ringing it. They wouldn't cope with a change of number. Everyone else could.

Gryff

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 26th, 2018, 10:49 am

Bouleversee wrote:However annoying ER might be, I hope someone is keeping an eye on him/her and offering assistance when needed.

I suspect the police are...

didds

Return to “Legal Issues (Practical)”